First Time Alaskan - NCL Pearl - Seattle ?

bclinton

Hi folks - we are leaving for Seattle this Saturday to take our first ever cruise. I think I have everything in order. I have a question about getting from the airport this saturday to the the Belltown INN in DT Seattle. The hotel said to take the linght rail and it stops about 4 blocks from the hotel. I will have my elderly mom with us and about 4 pieces of luggage. I am all for saving a few bucks with the rail. My mom will have no problem walking the 4 blocks. My question is for those of you familiar with the area....is that doable? I didn't want to plan on doing that only to find out the info the hotel game me was not right. It looks like the cheapest shuttle fare for about $45 to go about 12 miles versus less than 10 for the rail.

Not familiar with the Belltown, but you said it's downtown. As I recall, it took about 30 minutes to get from Seatac to downtown in a taxi. Funny thing about all these cities and their airports..they all quote how many miles they are from downtown but they NEVER mention how long it actually takes to go that distance!:)

Hi folks - we are leaving for Seattle this Saturday to take our first ever cruise. I think I have everything in order. I have a question about getting from the airport this saturday to the the Belltown INN in DT Seattle. The hotel said to take the linght rail and it stops about 4 blocks from the hotel. I will have my elderly mom with us and about 4 pieces of luggage. I am all for saving a few bucks with the rail. My mom will have no problem walking the 4 blocks. My question is for those of you familiar with the area....is that doable? I didn't want to plan on doing that only to find out the info the hotel game me was not right. It looks like the cheapest shuttle fare for about $45 to go about 12 miles versus less than 10 for the rail.

Elderly mom, 4 pieces of luggage, negotiating light rail car, walking 4 blocks, thinking about "what did I forget (on first cruise)" - all to save $35? What's wrong with that picture?

Take a shuttle or, for about another $10 take a limo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Elderly mom, 4 pieces of luggage, negotiating light rail car, walking 4 blocks, thinking about "what did I forget (on first cruise)" - all to save $35? What's wrong with that picture?

Agree here^^^^

Check the West Coast forum as well, there are suggestions for cars/shuttles that are reliable, with some current price information. I've heard [haven't been yet] that Seattle is somewhat hilly - not bad if you and mom are walking downhill, but what if its uphill instead...{and how old is elderly????}

ya, you are probably right. She is 81 but why try....she will be doing plenty on the boat. It looks like a cab is only about $30-$40 so I will probably go that route.

Take a cab or shuttle. The lightrail drops you off at Westlake Center which is near the Westin Hotel. From there is couple of blocks of slight uphill followed by a couple of blocks of downhill. Hiking this alone would be fine. With luggage and an ederly person, you're just asking for a bad way to start your vacation.

Practically everywhere you walk in Seattle is either uphill or down - not easy for an 80-something. Add luggage, and you have a pretty good reason for springing for a taxi - don't scrimp on small comforts.

I agree with all previous posters! You're spending how much on this trip? What's another $55 (tip included) to guarentee everyone is in tip top shape for Alaska, which I might add is not for the faint of heart!! If you want to get up close to the glaciers you have to walk, apparently Mother Nature didn't get the memo from the tourism department!:D

Unless something has changed, Seattle has a flat rate taxi fee from the airport to anywhere downtown which is around $27. The hills were very hard on us the first year there. It IS a great walking city and we rarely cab it while downtown but Yes it is quite hilly. If I was taking my 80 year old relative I would take a cab. Belltown should still be considered downtown, I don't see why it wouldn't be. All those areas are very close to each other. You can always ask the cab driver if Belltown is part of the flat fee. I would not take the light rail.

Are you doing anything in the Emerald city while there?

Are you doing anything in the Emerald city while there?

Not to be missed in Seattle: the Space Needle for the views; The Market for the food and the fish tossing and the gum wall because it's there, but don't touch it! If you have additional time and you want to do something that's just plain fun, the duck tour was very interesting and very fun, unless you've done it before, cause IMHO, it's something that you only do one time!