train or plane

pieshops

Trains don't bother my I actually love them so no car service here.

Do you know the difference between that coastal route which takes 6 hours and i guess bypasses Rome and the fast train with a change in Rome which takes 4 and a half. Other then the cost and time?

Seems if all is relative then we would do the 4 and a half hour one

The coastal route avoids a change at Termini. Termini is HUGE. If you take one of the Regionale trains to Civi, you're looking at a minimum 10-minute walk just to get to your platform.

That said, if you don't mine the change, by all means go via Rome. Or, if you want to get cute, you could stop and overnight in Florence, then travel to Civi the next day from there (still via Rome).

Of course, all this can be decided last-minute. While you will save money booking your Freccia trains in advance (4 months max), if you don't mind paying there's nothing preventing you from waiting until you're in Milan to buy whichever ticket you prefer.

Edited by Twickenham

Of course, all this can be decided last-minute. While you will save money booking your Freccia trains in advance (4 months max), if you don't mind paying there's nothing preventing you from waiting until you're in Milan to buy whichever ticket you prefer.

Good point. Someone suggested that trains might sell out; it's a remote possibility, but fairly remote.

Good point. Someone suggested that trains might sell out; it's a remote possibility, but fairly remote.

You can also monitor the availability for the trains with reserved seats by taking a look at the seats available for selection.

If you see them running low on availability, then you might want to make up your mind sooner.

We had the same concern, and the trains weren't close to full.

(But this was for mid-May, not peak summer season, which could be quite different.)

Also, for some of the local trains, it seemed we couldn't get tickets (at least, not online) more than one week in advance. But again, this turned out not to be a problem, as there were plenty of seats available.

GeezerCouple

Do you know the difference between that coastal route which takes 6 hours and i guess bypasses Rome and the fast train with a change in Rome which takes 4 and a half. Other then the cost and time?

The coastal route requires a change at Genova and the trains themselves are older, not the sleek new Freccia stock.

On the Freccia trains second class is just fine. The IC trains are the one situation where I recommend paying for first class, as second class on these trains is pretty basic. It's not that much of an increase in cost but there is a big increase in comfort between the classes on these particular trains.

The first class seats on the ICs are compartments of six seats, so with a family of four there's a good chance that you'd have the entire compartment to yourselves. You can keep your luggage with you in the compartment.

Here are the stations you'd pass through on the IC route:

Station Arrival Time Departure Time Milano Centrale

11:10 Pavia 11:33 11:35 Voghera 11:49 11:51 Genova Piazza Principe 12:40

Station Arrival Time Departure Time Genova Piazza Principe

12:51 Genova Brignole 12:58 13:00 Rapallo 13:20 13:22 Chiavari 13:29 13:31 Sestri Levante 13:37 13:39 La Spezia Centrale 14:07 14:09 Carrara-Avenza 14:25 14:26 Massa Centro 14:32 14:34 Viareggio 14:46 14:48 Pisa Centrale 15:03 15:06 Livorno Centrale 15:19 15:21 Campiglia Marittima 15:54 15:55 Follonica 16:04 16:05 Grosseto 16:24 16:26 Civitavecchia 17:14

We had the same concern, and the trains weren't close to full. (But this was for mid-May, not peak summer season, which could be quite different.)

Also, for some of the local trains, it seemed we couldn't get tickets (at least, not online) more than one week in advance. But again, this turned out not to be a problem, as there were plenty of seats available.

Summer won't significantly change the availability of tickets, with a few specific exceptions. Christmas Eve, the Friday before Easter, these are days when you want a reservation well in advance. A random weekday, even in the summer, won't be an issue on this route.

Regional trains are only available on line seven days prior. There's no benefit to purchasing them in advance (no reduced fares, no seat selection) and there's the risk of wasting the money if you miss the train or decide not to take it (non-refundable).

Rebeccalouise is correct, the 1:10 PM does not require a change, and it's the newer train stock (Frecciabianca).

Here's the lineup for that train:

Milano Centrale

13:10 Pavia 13:33 13:35 Genova Piazza Principe 14:40 14:52 Genova Brignole 14:58 15:13 Rapallo 15:35 15:37 Chiavari 15:43 15:45 La Spezia Centrale 16:18 16:20 Massa Centro 16:39 16:41 Viareggio 16:52 16:54 Pisa Centrale 17:10 17:13 Livorno Centrale 17:27 17:29 Campiglia Marittima 18:02 18:03 Grosseto 18:27 18:29 Civitavecchia 19:16

There are three good reasons to take the longer, but easier, route along the coast.

First, you avoid a change at Termini. Don't underestimate the difficulty of this, with luggage. The regional tracks at Termini for the train to Civitavecchia are three blocks from the main track head.

Second, the train from Termini to Civitavecchia is a regional train with no seat assignments and no luggage storage. It can be a long hour standing with your luggage in the vestibule.

Third, it's about 30 Euros per person cheaper.

There are three good reasons to take the longer, but easier, route along the coast.

First, you avoid a change at Termini. Don't underestimate the difficulty of this, with luggage. The regional tracks at Termini for the train to Civitavecchia are three blocks from the main track head.

Second, the train from Termini to Civitavecchia is a regional train with no seat assignments and no luggage storage. It can be a long hour standing with your luggage in the vestibule.

Third, it's about 30 Euros per person cheaper.

Thats exactly what I was looking for thank you. I guess with the length of the walk and hitting the scheduling right, the time either was is pretty close but the coast route seems much more convenient. thanks again

do you know if there is food on the longer trains?

also are the trains generally on time?

I believe there is a snack bar on the train. Given your connection time at Milano Centrale, you could also buy some sandwiches or salads to go at the station to bring with you on board. Which bring up another point: if you reserve this ahead of time on Trenitalia website, do try to get seats in the facing-each-other-with-table configuration.

In a week of travel all over Italy on trains, only one was delayed - the Frecciarossa between Milan and Florence. I forget what the problem was, but they kept us updated regularly and apologized profusely (this is the businessman's train, after all).

The Milan - Civitavecchia train is a Frecciabiana, which does have a small bar/restaurant.

You can read about the details of the train here: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=359ebd6bc1abf310VgnVCM1000008916f90aRCRD

And, the train bars have excellent espresso (they use Illy).

Also, here is the home page for the Milano Centrale station. You can see the various food places where you can grab some food for the train. I'm partial to the ACafe - they are the train station version of the AutoGrille that I love to stop off at when I'm driving on the Autostradas! I've always loved their sandwiches.

I did the same thing you are doing back in the early 2000s. Flew into Malpensa, took the bus to the train station (no train from Malpensa then), hopped on a train right away to Venice. If nothing else, the train trip allowed time to nap and decompress - arrived in Venice ready to rock 'n roll!

This sounds like the way I will go, the coastal route.

My main concern is with a 10:40 flight arrival making the 1:00 train. It seems very tight to me.

Although this is for december so I really have no idea of the actual train schedule yet

This sounds like the way I will go, the coastal route.

My main concern is with a 10:40 flight arrival making the 1:00 train. It seems very tight to me.

Although this is for december so I really have no idea of the actual train schedule yet

You making that train assumes you can pass customs/immigration and get to the train station at MXP in an hour. Having never flown from there I have no idea how it is, but it doesn't feel unreasonable. The good news is, if you don't make it, you have lots of options via Rome - at least 2 trains an hour, in fact. And remember, being the train, you really only need to board 30 seconds before it leaves.

Edited by Twickenham

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know if the Frecciabianca coastal train has WIFI?
Unfortunately, no. The Frecciarossa and Frecciargeto trains do have wi-fi, but not the bianca.

Frecciabianca info: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms-file/allegati/trenitalia/treni/Frecciabianca.pdf

Wi-fi: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=dc11d267965cf310VgnVCM1000008916f90aRCRD

We did the opposite trip last Sept. - from Civi to Milan, and it was so easy. At Civi, you may have to go down stairs, under tracks, and back up stairs, depending on which track they route your train. You can catch a cab from the train station to the port cheap. The construction at Civi port should be over by your trip.

The local train was okay - not the most comfortable seats, but okay. We chose seats at the back of the car where they were only on one side, so put our luggage in the open space at the other side - easy to access and keep an eye on.

Definitely buy snacks and water to take on the train with you. You will probably be tired and nap also. Some of the countryside was pretty and some was the backs of buildings in small towns with graffiti. But it sure beat changing in Rome by a long shot. When we took the train from Rome to Civi, it was crowded, our luggage would not fit in the overhead bins, and one of us had to stand in the vestibule with the luggage. If you did that, by the time you did that last leg of the trip (your third train by the way), your kids would be cranky, tired, hungry. etc. = not fun.

As for making the 110pm train, you should be okay. Malpensa is pretty efficient and the train station is literally right out from baggage claim and very new and modern - escalators and elevators to the platforms and modern trains to Milano Central. If there is a flight delay, you could always get a quick taxi - more expensive - but you would make your train to Civi.

This plan is good, as you will be dead tired when you arrive at Civi, and it will be dark, so get a taxi and check into hotel, get a quick pizza, and go to bed. You will literally be able to sleep as late as you want the next day, as you are there, and your ship is waiting for you.

The tickets for the local train, booked on Trenitalia website about 2 months in advance, were really cheap - about 40Euro each. They have limited seats at reduced rates and they go fast, so keep checking the site when the time gets close. We printed a copy and didn't need to check in or anything - just board the train and sometime during the trip a conductor comes through and checks your ticket. It was worth the extra travel time.

However -

There is another plan to consider - get a direct connection on the Alitalia shuttle Malpensa to Rome and then hire a shuttle from RomeCabs to take you directly to Civi hotel. It may be more costly, but certainly easier and quicker. Depends on your budget, energy level, and how your kids tolerate travel.

On this particular train the coastal one, do you know the difference between first and second class?
What differences do you mean? If you look at the link I provided you'll see the specifics about each class (number of seats, size, recline, amenities, etc.).

If you're asking about price, from where to where?

Ok I bought my tickets.

I am on the FRECCIABIANCA TRAIN coastal route from Milan direct to Civit. port.

Booked the first class to get a bit extra room.

Since we land at 8:30 we will have plant of time to get to the train, have some lunch before and get to the port, relax have dinner and head to the ship.

We are doing 3 days post cruise in Rome so we are not worried about missing anything.

This way is a bit longer but when you factor in flying all night, the kids and mom, we figure the fast way in total time would only be about an hour or so less so this is the most convenient, no train changes.

Happy this is out of the way

Not having a good day. Just spent 400 dollars on train tickets and then realized I bought them for the day I fly out not the day I arrive in Italy. Now had to go buy new tickets for the correct day. Nothing like being a moron. Take a lesson from me remember overnight flights.