Summit Oceanview Cafe Changes

cle-guy

A change I think most will like...!

They have gone from the pans full of slop to individualized servings in small containers, like tiny skillets, small french fry baskets etc. Same at the Mast grill.

In buffet, for example at breakfast, not there is a small pan with portion of scrambled eggs, 2 strips bacon, 2 sausage links. another selection has scrambled tpmatores and onions. Still have cooked to order station. They have prepped croissant sausage and cheese sandwiches in little basket.

Lunch a small pan of carrots, asparagus and chicken cordon bleu medallions.

They have gone to a lot more "served" stations, with some self serve. Cheee is served, cut off a block as you request, lunch meats similar, they lat a few slices out and recut and add as those are used.

I spoke to Martoin the F&B director (may not be actual title, he seemed in charge) he said they have been watching guest comments over the years falling, and although they taste foods something happens once it hits buffet, so they have been planning a change for a while and are testing on summit to work out kinks (longer lines, more staff needed in lithe to portion out etc...) They hope that by offering multiple pre-plated portions, their intent of flavor profile will stick and not get mixed in a plat of other buffet servings ad to make sure that when someone gets a portion, they get all of it, sfor example they may miss toppings when grabbing from a serving pan.

I think it really enhances service. Salad bar still there, but they have nice pre-portioned salads like greek, taboule, cedars etc.

They also have the trays back for those who have been noising those, needed now with the pre-portioned meals.

It's a work in progress for sure, but it has really made the buffet feel much closer to a 5 star resort than a high school cafeteria.

In BLU, instead of a morning continental buffet, they now serve on a 3-tiered tea service 3 plates, 1 with nice selection of cheeses, meats and salmon with cream cheese on cucumber, middle tray had selection of fresh cut fruits, bottom nice selection of breakfast breads. very nice indeed. No need to go to a buffet line and grab yours, just get the tray delivered to table and enjoy as much or as little as you want. It's a perfect serving for 2 people i think. I;'m certain if you wanted something extra or removed, they would accommodate as needed.

So are you enjoying these changes? Do you find they are served at the right temperature and that they taste good?

We had no problems with the buffet in February, but that was before these changes. I've been reading lots of complaints about the little serving dishes. It sounds like you like them though. Do you find it's an improvement from how they did it before?

They have gone from the pans full of slop to individualized servings in small containers, like tiny skillets, small french fry baskets etc. Same at the Mast grill.

In buffet, for example at breakfast, not there is a small pan with portion of scrambled eggs, 2 strips bacon, 2 sausage links. another selection has scrambled tpmatores and onions. Still have cooked to order station. They have prepped croissant sausage and cheese sandwiches in little basket.

They have gone to a lot more "served" stations, with some self serve. Cheee is served, cut off a block as you request, lunch meats similar, they lat a few slices out and recut and add as those are used.

I spoke to Martoin the F&B director (may not be actual title, he seemed in charge) he said they have been watching guest comments over the years falling, and although they taste foods something happens once it hits buffet, so they have been planning a change for a while and are testing on summit to work out kinks (longer lines, more staff needed in lithe to portion out etc...) They hope that by offering multiple pre-plated portions, their intent of flavor profile will stick and not get mixed in a plat of other buffet servings ad to make sure that when someone gets a portion, they get all of it, sfor example they may miss toppings when grabbing from a serving pan.

I think it really enhances service. Salad bar still there, but they have nice pre-portioned salads like greek, taboule, cedars etc.

They also have the trays back for those who have been noising those, needed now with the pre-portioned meals.

It's a work in progress for sure, but it has really made the buffet feel much closer to a 5 star resort than a high school cafeteria.

In BLU, instead of a morning continental buffet, they now serve on a 3-tiered tea service 3 plates, 1 with nice selection of cheeses, meats and salmon with cream cheese on cucumber, middle tray had selection of fresh cut fruits, bottom nice selection of breakfast breads. very nice indeed. No need to go to a buffet line and grab yours, just get the tray delivered to table and enjoy as much or as little as you want. It's a perfect serving for 2 people i think. I;'m certain if you wanted something extra or removed, they would accommodate as needed.

Wait. What? Blu no longer serves breakfast a sit down breakfast menu.

I have my doubts this is going to work...I like crispy bacon with my french toast at the cafe/buffet, and usually more than 2 slices...do I need to grab 2 dishes of eggs to get 4 pieces of bacon? Who is going to eat the eggs and sausage I don't want?

Edited by 20pluscruises

I have my doubts this is going to work...I like crispy bacon with my french toast at the cafe/buffet, and usually more than 2 slices...do I need to grab 2 dishes of eggs to get 4 pieces of bacon? Who is going to eat the eggs and sausage...I don't want?

That's a good point. I might not like their idea of a good combo, i.e. I don't usually like sausages so if the pre-made plates didn't come with an option it would be a waste if I got one plate and threw away the eggs so I could have the bacon and got another plate and threw away the sausage so I could have the french toast (not that I would be so wasteful, but you get my point?).

This could be a problem for people with special dietary needs as well. My gluten free husband wouldn't be able to eat bacon that had been touching any wheat products. Hmmmm.....it will be interesting to hear how this all shakes out.

Cle-guy

Did you mean those trays in elite breakfasts that we have heard about?

Or did Blu change to that Also?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm sure he meant the "elite breakfast", not blu. This change in the "elite breakfast" from buffet to a tiered platter has been reported before....and it's been greeted with mixed reviews.

Edited by ghstudio

The small portion thing in buffet would likely help prevent transmission of germs I think

Hope Blu doesn't change their breakfast and he meant elite breakfast

Thanks

Linda

Cle-guy

Did you mean those trays in elite breakfasts that we have heard about?

Or did Blu change to that Also?

Thanks

Yes I meant Normandie for Elite breakfast. I tried to edit, but the internet, well it is what it is.... sorry for that heart attack to many!

I do like the changes on buffet a lot. Looks much nicer than before for sure, and they put out only like 6 or 8 at a time of the small servings and replenish as they are taken, so they stay warm. I find the bacon much more crispy now that before myself, there are places to still grab extras if you want loike at the cooked to order stations.

I have my doubts this is going to work...I like crispy bacon with my french toast at the cafe/buffet, and usually more than 2 slices...do I need to grab 2 dishes of eggs to get 4 pieces of bacon? Who is going to eat the eggs and sausage I don't want?

As I noted, if you want something extra or changed they are happy to accommodate. Waffles are still done to order and have a lacarte breakfast meets to shoos from., as does the cooked to order eggs stations,again as I pouted out originally.

There are some nicely prepped items to take away, and still several a la carte stations as well.

I think overall it will stop a lot of waste, especially at dinner time, and it has potential to have staff more in the mode for having to go to Code Red when stations serve the guest when needed, if they are already in habit doing it for half or more of the servings being given, on a normal day so as another poster said, there is potential to also save on the spread of germs by those who refuse to wash hands and use sanitizer and use utensils to self-serve. not 100% but a reduction in the probability of transmissions.

Its nice for quick grab and go to get the all in one, but those that still want a custom order can get that at the cooked to order station, just ask for fresh scrambled then get your 4 pieces of bacon and leave the sausages behind.

Don't over think it people LOL...

Thanks for the update!

I was on the Bermuda May 11th cruise and it was our first Celebrity cruise.

I would like to know if the juice machines are working? And also the ice machines, the week we were on, those machines were hardly working.

Looks like they are "getting it together" yay!!

ps...can you check the theater, are there about 20-30 burnt out lightbulbs? There was on my cruise, and it made me nuts... its such an easy fix, one I can actually do, without having to put it on the honey do list,.. so I notice burnt out lights everywhere, lol

Edited by mapleleafvoyage

Just back from Summit 5/18 to Bermuda.

SOME, not all, of the buffet items are now individual servings in pots, baskets etc. They are not small servings and not huge either. About what you would get as ordered in many a restaurant. They are not designed to reduce wastage, but instead to keep flavors separate. There are still LOTS of stations that prepare food to order.

There are no trays. If you like to fill a tray real full with most of your meal, you will probably not like the new set up. But if you like to get each of your courses individually (appy, then salad, then main course items eg) then the buffet will probably please you. The basket/pot items are only a small portion of the buffet. And you can actually dump them onto the big oval dinner platters that they have, and still get a bunch of things in one trip. At breakfast we started with the premade bowls of fruit. The a trip to one of the omelet stations for made to order eggs. Then later, a basket of french toast or pancakes. On one occasion, I had the pot with scrambled eggs, 2 sausage and 2 bacon. Surprisingly good scrambles.

There were no problems with long lines, so DW and I liked going back to the buffet several times during a meal.

OH wow the Sushi (with yellowtail that we cannot often find in NJ). Carving and cheese and deli meat stations were also fabu. Dessert on Summit was strange. Each day was a theme: pies, OR, cakes, OR Creme Brulee variants. Not a mixture. Yummy, but somewhat boring. Nevertheless, the ice cream bar had lots of hard ice cream and sundae makings.

DW and I, seniors, very much liked the buffets on Summit.

Edited by wbehlert@comcast.net

Thanks for the update!

I was on the Bermuda May 11th cruise and it was our first Celebrity cruise.

I would like to know if the juice machines are working? And also the ice machines, the week we were on, those machines were hardly working.

Looks like they are "getting it together" yay!!

ps...can you check the theater, are there about 20-30 burnt out lightbulbs? There was on my cruise, and it made me nuts... its such an easy fix, one I can actually do, without having to put it on the honey do list,.. so I notice burnt out lights everywhere, lol

I also noticed the broken juice and ice machines which is rare that Celebrity's ships would be in disrepair like that. Hopefully they will report back that this was fixed as I am sailing on the Summit in Sept.

I did not like the buffet, to me it seemed those pre plated meals were made well before the buffet opened. I even saw them sitting as much as an hour before they were served. I don't eat a lot of meat so I would take a pre plated meal for the potato and vegetable and have to throw away the meat. The pizza was fabulous and the staff kept them coming, nice and hot.

I am a long time Celebrity cruiser and have never had one complaint but Im sorry to say that this time the buffet on my May 11 cruise has broken that record. I guess time will tell if Celebrity chooses to go fleet wide with this but I hope they don't. The buffet aside, we had a wonderful cruise to Bermuda…

After a few experiences of juggling the baskets and plates, I finally ditched the baskets. I took a large oval plate. As I picked up a metal basket, I dumped its contents on my plate. I then handed the empty basket back to the server. The server looked confused. That way, I was able to fill my plate and carry it to a table. Trying to carry more than 2 of those those baskets is crazy. I would need more hands.

I will reserve judgement until I actually try it first hand as I like to have a small spoon of everything on my plate so I can't see how the plated option would suit me but we will see

Are they now providing trays to carry all these plates ? :D

I will reserve judgement until I actually try it first hand as I like to have a small spoon of everything on my plate so I can't see how the plated option would suit me but we will see

I avoid the M-Class buffets. Did a 15-day Transatlantic on Constellation and only ate there one time, and that was at their sandwich bar on embarkation. I'll have to check this new format out on Summit to see if it's to my liking. ;)

There are now trays, a prior poster from the 5/18 cruise said there were none, but they were in full force this week. I found it much harder now to find a plate all on its own, as most places it's grab and go with the baskets, and when a plate was needed, it was at a station that needed interaction with staff anyway. Plates were to be had mind you, just not all over, but it works.

Those who like little samples, there is nothing wrong with grabbing a bunch of baskets tasting them and moving on to another basket...! Or share with your table mates...

It's definitely an experiment as they watch carefully before rolling out further I think. I noticed managers in back corners watching very carefully and taking notes on all things and instituting small changes the following dinner service. I noticed several impromptu meetings at the beginning of shifts with the station leads to discuss changes and modifications. Also a lot more staff with radios communicating with star that probably didn't use radios in the past (I watched a manager try to teach a behind the scenes staff member how to use it.... LOL). Martin the F&B Director was visible throughout each service in the cafe each day, not in an office someplace or at other outlets on ship, seeming laser-focused on getting ocean view cafe to perfection.

Another poster here mentioned the desert theme, and I noticed this as well, especially later in the cruise. First few days it was a mix of deserts, but I did notice the last 2 it was a theme. final day was creme brûlée all over the place, being freshly flamed to order in fact, with many flavors. I'd agree they need to vary the deserts a bit more. But again, as a work in progress, perhaps they were gauging the reaction to a themed desert each day versus varied deserts. I also noticed they were toying with some days having cakes and deserts grab and go, others the guest serve themselves, and others behind velvet ropes with staff serving, clearly an experimentation in place to see what works best.

They added espresso machine service to the Gelataria as well, as one can get espresso drinks there as well as Al Bacio, in effect adding 30% more capacity to make the coffee shop more efficient. Gelataria is limited in its services (no teas, maybe not all milks for example), but it's faster to bra b a coffee there than Al Bacio now. Not sure of this is a recent change, or just something I had not noticed in the past.

I noticed lines were long first couple days, but as cruise went on they dissipated. Also, not sure if it's normal for other ships to do omelets to order at the mast grill by the pool, but they were doing that here, in essence adding a 3rd cooked to order egg station to dissipate the lines. I also found it the only place to get hash browns! The "Express Omeletetes" were publicized in the daily restaurant hours schedule in Celebrity Today.

Also they have added signage at the elevators and stairwells pointing you to the various stations, which on M class ships is welcome to me, not walking all the way forward to realize sandwiches are in the back, or the left line to realize the sushi is on the right line, that sort of thing. And they updated throughout the meal, and at each service to be relevant to the meals being served at that time.

I notice the new way of presenting foods allows for new items to be added to the menus that may not lend themselves to typical buffet serving dishes, like the breakfast sandwiches already prepped - one day bagel, next toast, next biscuit, next croissant with sausage egg and cheese for example. Also some of the ethnic foods that would come with proper portion of rice and toppings already to go - especially asian and indian style. Chicken and cheese quesadillas.

They had sausage every day for lunch and dinner, various forms and types cut to order, and sometimes as part of a pre-prepped serving preparation. I never remember sausage at all before...I LIKE SAUSAGE AND WAS VERY HAPPY LOL!

There were a couple ice machines out of order I noticed, but majority were in order. I also find they shut some machines off at certain parts of the day, probably to make keeping them full simpler when not needed all at once. especially the ones neater the aft bar, area. I also noted during one of the engineering talks, that are working to replace ice makers as they fall into disrepair with more efficient models over time, perhaps the broken ones are awaiting replacement with the new models...?

Another poster noticed burnt out light bulbs...I was also quite aware of many being out, especially in theatre...As with the engineering talk about replacing ice makers, they also said a lot about replacing lightbulbs with LED as they fail, perhaps they intend to do that soon. I noticed for example the hallway on deck 9 all were now LED (I love LED lighting, my whole house had been converted, so I notice these things - and confirm a roughly $50 per month electric bill savings from that alone) but all in my cabin on deck 9 were still incandescent or halogen. Perhaps they have ordered a huge lot of LED's to replace all at once so are not replacing the older variety till they do a full swap out one day. Or maybe they are lazy... LOL

The new buffet style also means they can have many more selections in a far smaller space, this seemed to allow them to leave many of the stations without foods for selection, basically opening only half the stations for dinner, which then means they have more staff available to prep the dishes in the back, and keep the food moving faster and staying warmer by only having selections moving in 1 location instead of 2. The cooked to order stations, however were duplicated to keep lines moving.

I do like the changes on buffet a lot. Looks much nicer than before for sure

Agree about the changes in the buffet on Deck 10.

What I don't like about Elite breakfast (Normandie) is the waste. Before I would take just what I wanted. Now they automatically bring out pre-plated items. If my DH and I both want a chocolate croissant and almond croissant we have to asked for extra, leaving the other pastry items untouched. Before we would take exactly what we wanted to eat. If they wanted to stop the buffet and serve us fine, but then serve us what we want, not what you want us to have. We saw many trays go back half untouched, or more.

What a sin, they can't re-use that food once it's been served.

Agree about the changes in the buffet on Deck 10.

What I don't like about Elite breakfast (Normandie) is the waste. Before I would take just what I wanted. Now they automatically bring out pre-plated items. If my DH and I both want a chocolate croissant and almond croissant we have to asked for extra, leaving the other pastry items untouched. Before we would take exactly what we wanted to eat. If they wanted to stop the buffet and serve us fine, but then serve us what we want, not what you want us to have. We saw many trays go back half untouched, or more.

What a sin, they can't re-use that food once it's been served.

Waste is certainly an issue, but there is always lots of waste on a ship anyway. I imagine with the relatively few number of people using the elite breakfast (I observed only 4 tables when I was there) it's not really such a large amount as they would be tossing leftover buffet items as well. At least this way they have some control over the waste, and give a finer presentation to the customers, especially those who have been complaining about he fall of service and food presentation over the years.

So clearly more people want a finer presentation than want to monitor waste it seems.

Not much different than the tea service where I end up leaving items behind.

I suppose as more folks become comfortable and familiar with the new service, they can ask the server to bring a more customized plate out requesting the special items one wants and leaving those behind one does not want. I think the staff would happily accommodate such requests.

My husband is a vegan and I am a vegetarian so I have to tell you that these pre-plated dishes with vegetables and meat on the same plate sound like an absolute nightmare to me.

And for people with food allergies the possibility of cross contamination is even worse!

I hope this experiment either stays on the Summit (and we'll avoid sailing on her) or just ends.

I suppose as more folks become comfortable and familiar with the new service, they can ask the server to bring a more customized plate out requesting the special items one wants and leaving those behind one does not want. I think the staff would happily accommodate such requests.

At least while we were there this past week, they won't bring out a "customized plate". I asked for watermelon on the fruit plate, he said he couldn't do that but would get me watermelon and brought me a smaller plate of all watermelon. So we had the regular fruit plus and extra plate of watermelon. There were more than 4 tables full of people when we there, but not nearly as busy and crowded as when they had the buffet.

I must say the smoothies tasted better than I remember last year and the chocolate croissants and almond croissants were delicious. Let's just say I didn't lose any weight on the cruise. Thought all the food was good to excellent in buffet, MDR and Elite Breakfast. We never did get to Bistro on 5. Guess we will have to take another cruise.

Edited by CruisingChick

My husband is a vegan and I am a vegetarian so I have to tell you that these pre-plated dishes with vegetables and meat on the same plate sound like an absolute nightmare to me.

And for people with food allergies the possibility of cross contamination is even worse!

I hope this experiment either stays on the Summit (and we'll avoid sailing on her) or just ends.

There were vegetarian and vegan pre-plated options as well, generally best available in the asian and indian selections. I wasn't particular attention to these needs I must admit.

But I suppose if one has issues with meets having shared a plate or preparation surface, stir fry isn't an option? Nor is the salad bar where the tongs interact between fixings when guests themselves mix them up? I realize there are different levels of one's vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, some may tolerate cross-mixed tongs, others may not.

In the Elite presentation, the meets and cheese share a plate, so can be left off, the fruits are all one, and the breads I guess would off limits as they would shave had egg in preparation. SO not much in the elite breakfast is left. Smoothies probably have some milk or cream added so off the list.

Can you let me know some examples on the buffet in the past that were well-suited to vegan and vegetarians, and I can reply with their availability as I recall from this sailing? That would be helpful for you and others with similar concerns. Some of the prepared salads seemed to meet vegan standards like cous-cous I think, I was going to say greek salad, but then remembered the feta in it. They did do tossed to order ceasar salad, one could get that with no parmesan and a different dressing such as oil and vinegar or italian.

They also still offer gluten free on request etc. Celebrity is very good about accommodating special meals and dietary requests once one asked while on board - I don't think they get it 100% in advance, but once on board they react very well.