Summit Oceanview Cafe Changes

cle-guy

sounds like portion control and cost cutting to me.

=====================================

Just returned from the 05/25/14 sailing. Didn't like the change for the Elite breakfast in Normandie. As a solo passenger, was given the same large serving as for doubles. Asked for no salmon, server was perplexed. Asked for pastries only with the fruit top (blueberry and cherry); server provided no pastries but four bagels. Only two servers and service was slow. Very few Elite participants.

Didn't like the OceanView buffet change. Didn't find breakfast potatoes til the last morning; no baked beans. Had to visit every station to obtain a full breakfast. The pasta station has been moved to smaller quarters on the opposite side of the ship. This station prepares omelets for breakfast and opened at 12:30 for lunch; 30 minutes later than the rest of the buffet because it had to be cleaned from breakfast. Two women worked in a very small space. While the little baskets and bowls are novel, lots of wasted food. Before I would only take a small sample if I wasn't sure if I'd like the food. Now, it was larger portions that I left behind. Service to clean the tables was slow with fewer staff.

Food in the MDR was fine but not as good as last May and October; service was excellent. Ate for in Normandie for one dinner; food was just OK but the service was excellent.

I've been a Celebrity fan. Had a nice time with friends, but something just wasn't quite right with this cruise. Maintenance is slipping, number of staff is decreased; Rendevous lounge always seemed empty at dinner time. The positive vibe was gone. :confused:

Just returned from the 05/25/14 sailing. Didn't like the change for the Elite breakfast in Normandie. As a solo passenger, was given the same large serving as for doubles. Asked for no salmon, server was perplexed. Asked for pastries only with the fruit top (blueberry and cherry); server provided no pastries but four bagels. Only two servers and service was slow. Very few Elite participants.

Didn't like the OceanView buffet change. Didn't find breakfast potatoes til the last morning; no baked beans. Had to visit every station to obtain a full breakfast. The pasta station has been moved to smaller quarters on the opposite side of the ship. This station prepares omelets for breakfast and opened at 12:30 for lunch; 30 minutes later than the rest of the buffet because it had to be cleaned from breakfast. Two women worked in a very small space. While the little baskets and bowls are novel, lots of wasted food. Before I would only take a small sample if I wasn't sure if I'd like the food. Now, it was larger portions that I left behind. Service to clean the tables was slow with fewer staff.

Food in the MDR was fine but not as good as last May and October; service was excellent. Ate for in Normandie for one dinner; food was just OK but the service was excellent.

I've been a Celebrity fan. Had a nice time with friends, but something just wasn't quite right with this cruise. Maintenance is slipping, number of staff is decreased; Rendevous lounge always seemed empty at dinner time. The positive vibe was gone. :confused:

Agree about the Elite breakfast but we thought food in MDR was as good or better than our cruises last year except for the corn soup which was to salty. We always found clean tables at the buffet but we only went for lunch and not for breakfast and we eat at 2:00 PM since we have late seating dinner. Service was very good throughout the ship except the Martini Bar. Staff didn't seem fully trained and seemed overwhelmed and chaotic. At least 2 different nights they ran out of Martini Glasses. :confused:

Before dinner we did the 7 PM show then Martini Bar which was always crowded. Only one night did we find 1/2 decent entertainment in the Rendezvous Lounge, most nights was boring.

There are trays, silverware, plates, nice bowls. The baskets, bowls, pots, etc. are nice looking, something you would find in Bed, Bath and Beyond or Williams Sonoma. Not cheap, fast food looking stuff at all. Nothing is PLASTIC!!

We never went to the tea or buffet at 4 Pm since we eat lunch at 2:00 PM. I know they have Pizza and Pasta out at that time in the buffet area and was told the tea offerings in the Aqua Spa Cafe were nice.

Thanks!

May I ask....do you prefer this new set up or the old way? I see most of the posted member reviews didn't really care for it at all. I underrstand the 4:00 tea is now in the aqua spa cafe...what is now in the buffet at 4pm? Thanks!

I definitely like the new set up much better. the food quality is lightyears ahead of the old cafeteria style slop in a pan where you may or may not get the right toppings as you grabbed something or something someone else may have grabbed then stuck back. Also if you go at off times, you don't have a crusty pan of mush left to pick from, as the small plates rotate quickly, being only 6 to 8 portions at a time out on offer.

I didn't pay to careful attention to how the buffet changed thru the day, just noted the tea sandwiches went away till I found it noted in the daily they moved to AquaCafe. But I know around 5 or so sushi was out, pizza, pasta, salad bar, I think maybe cheese selection, and then the dinner offering began to show up.

I just pulled Saturday May 31 daily, and lunch went noon to 2:30, then noon to 4 pm soup sandwiches (they had a selection of pre-made paninis available, so didn't have to wait unless you wanted a special version) and salads, noon to 11pm salad bar and made to order pasta, 5:30-9:30 sushi and stir fry, 9:30-1am late night offerings.

Dinners there were typically 4 carved to order meats, whole roasted chicken or turkey, variety of sausages, a pork roast a beef roast. Sometimes maybe only 3, but always a selection of fresh carved meats. They were also slicing to order lunch meats like they were with cheeses, though they already prepped lunchmeats and cheeses were already available at the sandwich/panini station for custom sandwiches.

Afternoon tea was 4 to 5 in AquaCafe.

I don't see where MOST don't care for it (though many who have yet to experience it have expressed their opinions sight unseen and without having been there) most I see from my sailing liked it - but I have not done the math on those calculations, but did observe guests lined up to talk to the F&B director with good comments when I was chatting him up. I see some from the prior cruises not liking it but that was when it was brand new, and they continue to fine-tune the items and what is served versus plated versus grab and go. They are listening VERY carefully, and making small calculated changes and monitoring it and many have posted this....

Bottom line it, it's moved from high school cafeteria to resort buffet in quick order. This IS Modern LUXURY.

But all must realize it's an experiment with lots of parts in motion, and what was on offer last cruise may vary next cruise till they get to the desired satisfaction. It's all being done in response on 2 years of guest surveys and feedback. So maybe the tea ill move back to Buffet next cruise, or maybe the afternoon treats will increase in the cafe, and maybe the meats go to 2 per service.

It;s never going to please everyone, (many posts about missing the trays last ear, now they are back, and posts saying they not like them), but if you were to look at images of the buffet now versus then and compare to resorts and high schools, you will have no choice but agree the new set up is far better and improves the quality of food.

The comment regarding sailing on NCL instead of Celebrity at the same price makes me wonder

why NCL consistently gets bad reviews. We made the mistake once and never will let that happen again...

Almost completely opposite from my views....

Elite breakfast in Normandie, I had salmon and with cream cheese piped onto a small cucumber slice to enjoy it along with 3 or 4 cheeses, and 2 other meats. My platter had 1 croissant, 1 muffin, 3 fruit pastries, and 1 chocolate pastry and 1 almond pastry. I had a plate of mellon, mango, blackberry, grape, strawberry and pineapple. There were few elites there though, as with all other elite events other than Captain's toast the one mid day - generally 4 to 5 tables only of elites at the 5:00 hour.

Breakfast potatoes I found at the Waffle station and the express omelette station by the pool. I think the other days it was replaced with hash one day at cooked to oder egg stations, it seems to change there and not always be out.

I'd argue about wasted food in the baskets, sure some like yourself may take that route, but generally people used their portions, but it's a cruise and food is wasted hand over fist anyway. The baskets stop the waste from the crusty leftovers in the pans being tossed every 20 minutes to refresh the pans thru the service. I'd say overall it's probably a net non-affect on waste, or maybe slightly less given the portion control and rotation of small plates as used. I'd also say any F&B manager's primary focus in on cost control, maybe 2nd only to guest satisfaction. Restaurants make money by saving costs and watching waste. I have no Doubt martin is watching cost as much as the enhancements in this experiment.

Table service cleaning was hit and miss, based on the timing of dining, port days no issue, sea days it was jammed at high times. I only once found myself unable to find a clean table when I took my meals from the buffet, and ended up at one of the small sections with stools by the icrecream. That was 1pm that day, high time for lunch at sea day.

I'm not positive, but think they had pasta on both sides of the line, like the eggs, except come dinner time, when they moved to almost all on one side. Lunch I know they duplicated pasta, as one side had a few more options than the other (as did the cooked to order eggs stations)

I agree about Normandie, food OK, not awesome, but staff was wonderful.

I'm not sure how one knows what the staff count is on a ship to determine it's down, I don't think we know that figure. I noted 4 bartenders at Martini for example, when in past there may only have been 3. IN Coffee shop, I saw a manager radio in to get 2 extra bar staff during a rush period as another example - and the addition of espresso machine to the gelato station to increase by 33% the ability to serve espresso drinks. I would say there are more working "back of the house" doing food prep, and think there are many more not he buffet lines themselves with the new service. i think staff has just been reallocated to different positions, otherwise they would turn the unused staff cabins into revenue generating cabins.

MDR staff numbers would certainly be fewer in total, now that more are doing specialty dining than on the past, so those staff have jet been reallocated to there and to BLU that didn't exist years ago. I loved the MDR for dinner, never even went to BLU even though I was in Aqua, and Normandie 1 night and Ocean View one night. Our table 1st night experienced slow wine service, and let the Maitre'd know, the second night they were on us and rest of cruise service was great. Night 2 after dinner, Maitre'd even came to be sure we had the service we expected, he remembered our comments the night prior. We were a table of 12. But I never hold a crew staff accountable for the 1st night as all new cruisers learn the ropes and as staff determine who is high maintenance and not and find a "groove" with the new client base. We even commented on how our non alcoholic beverages ere always full without having to ask, like there were silent waiters pouring when our eyes blinked.

I've been telling my friends, this was the friendliest, most lively group of passengers I've been with with a great cross mix of ages, lifestyles, backgrounds, nationalities, etc.

Edited by cle-guy

Almost completely opposite from my views....

Elite breakfast in Normandie, I had salmon and with cream cheese piped onto a small cucumber slice to enjoy it along with 3 or 4 cheeses, and 2 other meats. My platter had 1 croissant, 1 muffin, 3 fruit pastries, and 1 chocolate pastry and 1 almond pastry. I had a plate of mellon, mango, blackberry, grape, strawberry and pineapple. There were few elites there though, as with all other elite events other than Captain's toast the one mid day - generally 4 to 5 tables only of elites at the 5:00 hour.

Breakfast potatoes I found at the Waffle station and the express omelette station by the pool. I think the other days it was replaced with hash one day at cooked to oder egg stations, it seems to change there and not always be out.

I'd argue about wasted food in the baskets, sure some like yourself may take that route, but generally people used their portions, but it's a cruise and food is wasted hand over fist anyway. The baskets stop the waste from the crusty leftovers in the pans being tossed every 20 minutes to refresh the pans thru the service. I'd say overall it's probably a net non-affect on waste, or maybe slightly less given the portion control and rotation of small plates as used. I'd also say any F&B manager's primary focus in on cost control, maybe 2nd only to guest satisfaction. Restaurants make money by saving costs and watching waste. I have no Doubt martin is watching cost as much as the enhancements in this experiment.

Table service cleaning was hit and miss, based on the timing of dining, port days no issue, sea days it was jammed at high times. I only once found myself unable to find a clean table when I took my meals from the buffet, and ended up at one of the small sections with stools by the icrecream. That was 1pm that day, high time for lunch at sea day.

I'm not positive, but think they had pasta on both sides of the line, like the eggs, except come dinner time, when they moved to almost all on one side. Lunch I know they duplicated pasta, as one side had a few more options than the other (as did the cooked to order eggs stations)

I agree about Normandie, food OK, not awesome, but staff was wonderful.

I'm not sure how one knows what the staff count is on a ship to determine it's down, I don't think we know that figure. I noted 4 bartenders at Martini for example, when in past there may only have been 3. IN Coffee shop, I saw a manager radio in to get 2 extra bar staff during a rush period as another example - and the addition of espresso machine to the gelato station to increase by 33% the ability to serve espresso drinks. I would say there are more working "back of the house" doing food prep, and think there are many more not he buffet lines themselves with the new service. i think staff has just been reallocated to different positions, otherwise they would turn the unused staff cabins into revenue generating cabins.

MDR staff numbers would certainly be fewer in total, now that more are doing specialty dining than on the past, so those staff have jet been reallocated to there and to BLU that didn't exist years ago. I loved the MDR for dinner, never even went to BLU even though I was in Aqua, and Normandie 1 night and Ocean View one night. Our table 1st night experienced slow wine service, and let the Maitre'd know, the second night they were on us and rest of cruise service was great. Night 2 after dinner, Maitre'd even came to be sure we had the service we expected, he remembered our comments the night prior. We were a table of 12. But I never hold a crew staff accountable for the 1st night as all new cruisers learn the ropes and as staff determine who is high maintenance and not and find a "groove" with the new client base. We even commented on how our non alcoholic beverages ere always full without having to ask, like there were silent waiters pouring when our eyes blinked.

I've been telling my friends, this was the friendliest, most lively group of passengers I've been with with a great cross mix of ages, lifestyles, backgrounds, nationalities, etc.

Have never actually made it to an Elite breakfast, but sounds like I should..it does sound pretty good to me. Is it open everyday?

The comment regarding sailing on NCL instead of Celebrity at the same price makes me wonder

why NCL consistently gets bad reviews. We made the mistake once and never will let that happen again...

Ditto, but it was so many years ago I'm beginning to think it must have changed. When was the last time you sailed with them?

Have never actually made it to an Elite breakfast, but sounds like I should..it does sound pretty good to me. Is it open everyday?

Yes. This was actually my first time going, and only went one day as I'm not really a breakfast/morning person. It ends at 9 am, I'm lucky to be moving by 10, so if i'm up it's normally buffet, but that morning I was up at 8 so went to check it out.

Yes. This was actually my first time going, and only went one day as I'm not really a breakfast/morning person. It ends at 9 am, I'm lucky to be moving by 10, so if i'm up it's normally buffet, but that morning I was up at 8 so went to check it out.

Elite breakfast is 8 am - 10 am every day in Normandie (on Summit). We went later this year than in the past and even at 9:50 AM people were still coming in.

Elite breakfast is 8 am - 10 am every day in Normandie (on Summit). We went later this year than in the past and even at 9:50 AM people were still coming in.

OOPS, you are correct!

The buffet changes will have little effect on us as we rarely use it, preferring to be served at our table. The one positive would be adoption of the 4pm closure for soup/sandwich counters so those returning from half day trips at 3pm would get some lunch at long last.

The trays at Elite breakfast sound a complete nightmare to me - we normally have a simple breakfast of salmon/cold meat and bread with a small amount of salad veg and/or fruit, also I am allergic to cheese. So special tray in the first place, and still much food that would be wasted.

In fact, unless these trays are made fresh to order I can't see how the foods can be kept from drying out, unlike the wrap covered buffet normally prepared and only opened when needed.

In fact, unless these trays are made fresh to order I can't see how the foods can be kept from drying out, unlike the wrap covered buffet normally prepared and only opened when needed.

There was no hardened or crusty cheese or rolls. It's only a 2 hour period of time, not really enough for stuff to go bad or hard if pre prepped , and not a whole lot of people using, so pretty simple to prepare 10 played every 30 minutes or so.

The whole purpose it to enhance the food services, last thing they want to do is present stale foods.

Love NCL. The reviews confuse me in a way because it seems the bad reviews that NCL gets are usually from those that don't like the freestyle concept. Now, more of the ships seem to be copying the freestyle concept. The Summit itself just added 2 additional restaurants so now there are three restaurants that are not included in the fare on the M class ships alone. Take a look at the Quantum of the Seas! It should be called "Freestyle of the Seas" I like most cruise lines and I think that NCL has always done a wonderful job, their crew is amazing, the entertainment is awesome and the food in the MDR is good but the specialty restaurants are excellent.

There was no hardened or crusty cheese or rolls.

That's a pretty strong statement from someone who only attended the Elite breakfast one time!

Edited by harz99

That's a pretty strong statement from someone who only attended the Elite breakfast one time!

Having worked in food service for Marriott for years, I know how long it takes for a piece of bread or roll or cheese to go hard - longer than 2 hours time. Also I talked with F&B director at least 2 times about how things are working and desire to improve food experience, and letting things go hard and stale won't accomplish that mission. They are keenly focused on making food service better, having been in management meetings and discussions about how to make changes for more than a year's time they told me. It's not an off-the-cuff change just for the sake of change.

I'd say my statement has as much validity as does one from someone who hasn't even tried it yet.

But if it makes you feel better I did not experience hard rolls or crusty cheese when I visited. And so far I have not heard anyone else mention hard role or crusty cheese yet either who actually was there and experienced it on the most recent sailing.

Just back from Summit 5/18 to Bermuda.

SOME, not all, of the buffet items are now individual servings in pots, baskets etc. They are not small servings and not huge either. About what you would get as ordered in many a restaurant. They are not designed to reduce wastage, but instead to keep flavors separate. There are still LOTS of stations that prepare food to order.

There are no trays. If you like to fill a tray real full with most of your meal, you will probably not like the new set up. But if you like to get each of your courses individually (appy, then salad, then main course items eg) then the buffet will probably please you. The basket/pot items are only a small portion of the buffet. And you can actually dump them onto the big oval dinner platters that they have, and still get a bunch of things in one trip. At breakfast we started with the premade bowls of fruit. The a trip to one of the omelet stations for made to order eggs. Then later, a basket of french toast or pancakes. On one occasion, I had the pot with scrambled eggs, 2 sausage and 2 bacon. Surprisingly good scrambles.

There were no problems with long lines, so DW and I liked going back to the buffet several times during a meal.

OH wow the Sushi (with yellowtail that we cannot often find in NJ). Carving and cheese and deli meat stations were also fabu. Dessert on Summit was strange. Each day was a theme: pies, OR, cakes, OR Creme Brulee variants. Not a mixture. Yummy, but somewhat boring. Nevertheless, the ice cream bar had lots of hard ice cream and sundae makings.

DW and I, seniors, very much liked the buffets on Summit.

We were also on this cruise (5 of us) and not one of us like this new set up. We found the food not hot enough, could not find many items without walking around the entire buffet a couple times (did anyone see bread pudding on this cruise?) I sure did miss that. LOL We always prefer the buffet to the dining room for dinner, not this cruise.

This did not spoil our experience! Love the Summit and Bermuda!

Attached is a picture of the small plates.

It's my first time on a Celebrity ship, so I can't compare with what it used to be, but I liked how much faster it is to pick up the portions than other cruises, there was hardly any lines.

But you do have to walk around to see all the selections, I was used to having buffets offering same items on both sides. To answer some of the comments, at breakfast there are still big plates of bacon, sausages, eggs Bennedict etc. at the omelet station that you get as much of as you want. Baked beans I saw a couple of times paired with sausages and tomatoes. Bread pudding was at the waffle station. On disembarkation day though there were no small dishes, they reverted to big pans of food.

I did end up wasting more food, e.g. I got a pan of 3 mini banana pancakes, ate one and didn't want anymore. Ordinarily I would just have picked up one.

DSCF3328.jpg.534daf42768c1bffdab52531289c91fc.jpg

Not really about being happy or sad people...

.Many loyalists have enjoyed something close to a fine international country club experience over the years on a line with just a few great ships. They are not overjoyed at seeing it becoming more mainstream....cookie cutter...

Many who embrace the new concepts have not been cruising on X for very long comparatively, so it is really just a different perspective on what a vacation costing several thousand dollars a pop a few times a year should be like.....no one is right or wrong...

Glad to hear there will still be silverware and plates... although I doubt anyone will carry my tray in the buffet. Fairly certain no one will go hungry ..We are committed to two more cruises on X, plan to try Azamara and will evaluate from our own experiences.. For now .Blu is what keeps us coming and Canyon Ranch sound promising,

Attached is a picture of the small plates.

Thank-you for posting a picture.

I was asking for this a while back in the thread and you are the first.

This is what worries me, the portions look huge. I was hoping for mini-portions like at the Wicked Spoon in Vegas. On the other hand, there will be much less opportunity for germs to spread on ships if you only touch your own plate.

Thank-you for posting a picture.

I was asking for this a while back in the thread and you are the first.

This is what worries me, the portions look huge. I was hoping for mini-portions like at the Wicked Spoon in Vegas. On the other hand, there will be much less opportunity for germs to spread on ships if you only touch your own plate.

My DH and I found the portions for lunch to be big. Also times they had 2 of things in the baskets: 2 spring rolls, 2 tacos, 2 quesadillas, etc. Way to much. My DH and I finally realized if they continue to do this we will try and coordinate what we want to eat, if possible so we don't each take a basket. This way we don't waste to much food.

I'll be honest, I don't look at portion size at all. If I eat it I eat it, if I don't I don't and it gets tossed. If I eat it and like it and want more I get more.

I'm not on a cruise trying to save the world hunger problem, that's for sure. If food waste were such an issue for most cruisers, we'd beg the ships to do away completely with the buffet ;)

The breakfast eggs area good example, I'd normally grab some bacon and sausage with my scrambled. Now theres a pan with scrambled and 2 bacon and 2 sausage all ready to go. I like cheese on eggs too, so I nab a slice from the cheese carver while passing 'round the buffet and check the bacon stand to see if there is any extra crispy slices to at add on :D

Bear in mind when looking at the portions, they are all in one, like you don't go to the rice pan grab a scoop of rice, then go to the fish pan and stick a slice of fish on it, then go to the vegetable pan and gab some vegetables, they are all-in-one mini (maybe normal sized for some) meals.

For those that like to mix their asian with their mexican with their mac-n-cheese all on a plate, the new buffet certainly isn't gonna be ideal.

On the other hand, there will be much less opportunity for germs to spread on ships if you only touch your own plate.

Our morning news just had a story about Noro, finding it is spread mostly by restaurant workers. They said that although they normally only report cruise ship outbreaks, ships account for less than 1% of actual Noro cases.

Maybe these changes will start to make it less than half a percent. I am not saying its Cruise ship restaurant workers, as I believe they are drilled into proper sanitation techniques to avoid the spread, but I do believe many land-based restaurants really never think too much about it as their guest just goes home gets some discomfort eh next couple days and never rely think it was Noro from a restaurant.

I'll be honest, I don't look at portion size at all. If I eat it I eat it, if I don't I don't and it gets tossed. If I eat it and like it and want more I get more.

I'm not on a cruise trying to save the world hunger problem, that's for sure. If food waste were such an issue for most cruisers, we'd beg the ships to do away completely with the buffet ;)

The breakfast eggs area good example, I'd normally grab some bacon and sausage with my scrambled. Now theres a pan with scrambled and 2 bacon and 2 sausage all ready to go. I like cheese on eggs too, so I nab a slice from the cheese carver while passing 'round the buffet and check the bacon stand to see if there is any extra crispy slices to at add on :D

Bear in mind when looking at the portions, they are all in one, like you don't go to the rice pan grab a scoop of rice, then go to the fish pan and stick a slice of fish on it, then go to the vegetable pan and gab some vegetables, they are all-in-one mini (maybe normal sized for some) meals.

For those that like to mix their asian with their mexican with their mac-n-cheese all on a plate, the new buffet certainly isn't gonna be ideal.

So once again the description of the plates sounds awful for vegetarians.

I would get eggs but once they're in a pan together with the bacon and sausage they're inedible to me. I can't imagine I'm the only person that feels that way.

And I DO mix whatever has no meat from the asian and the mexican ,etc. on one plate.

We eat breakfast and dinner in Blu so those won't be an issue and I hope the Aqua Spa Cafe will have something for lunch if all the buffets go to small plates. :(