Is this Rome Walking Tour Do-able in under 5 hours?

Bootsy15

We are a fit family of 4 who have planned the following itinerary for a whistlestop walking tour of Rome in July.

I would like to allow some time for photo opportunities, none of us wish to visit the inside of the Vatican this time, but are hoping that we could just have a leisurely walk around the city.

Can anyone please advise whether this is reasonable in under 5 hours? Or offer any suggestions to improve the route etc.

- Train from Civitavecchia Port to St Peters Station
- Walk to St Peters Square and view the Vatican from the exterior
- Take a taxi to the Colosseum - view it from the exterior.
- View the Forum from the exterior as you walk down towards Piazza Venezia
- Walk through to the Trevi Fountain and toss a coin
- If possible in time, walk up to Spanish Steps
- Walk to the Pantheon and explore inside
- Walk to the Piazza Navonna and explore the square, enjoying a gelato.
- Walk up to the Ponte Umberto and walk along the River Tiber as you make your way back to the St Peters Station

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks:)

Hopefully Eurocruiser will chime in but I think that's an ambitious schedule with 4 people and 5 hours. We've done 3 different walking tours of Rome that lasted 3-4 hours each and didn't accomplish nearly that much, but then we did go inside the Coliseum and wandered around the Forum and spent a good amount of time in the Pantheon....

Have you been to Rome before? If not, I sure would want to go inside a lot of the places you mention and really see them....no, you might not get to everything, but I suspect it might be more memorable with more time in a few places than a walk by of a bunch...but that's just me.....good luck in whatever you decide to do...

Thanks Gracie;)

My husband and I have visited Rome last year and so have seen the Colosseum, Forum and Vatican from the inside, also visited the Trevi Fountain.

The Piazza Navona and the Pantheon will be new to all of us...

I would get off the train at Roma Ostiense and take the metro two stops to Colosseo. You come right out in front of it, can have a good look and an photo op or two. Then walk along the Via dei Fora Imperiale with good views of the forum on one side and Trajan's Market and Column on the other. Then you can walk to Piazza Venezia and the Pantheon easily. Stop for lunch. (you can do all that in 2-3 hours). Then you can meander to the Trevi Fountain and then to the Spanish Steps (1 hour). Then catch a cab to St.Peter's, go inside the basilica (free, and just a line for security check) and have a look--really not to be missed. Then walk to the San Pietro station for the ride back.

I have done this exactly on multiple occasions. Yes, it's whirlwind, but it works. We have a fave restaurant near the Spanish Steps and usually eat there, but we also have new fave near the Pantheon--either works.

Cathy beat me to it, because that's what I would do as well rather than starting and ending in the Vatican area (backtracking eats up time).

However, I might start at the Vatican and end at the Colosseum area, depending on my mood and where I want to be around lunchtime.

It is quite do-able, either way, if you're walkers. It's actually not all that much walking anyway.

I'm wondering if the OP is limiting their train stops to San Pietro because they are going to take the "cruise train"?

If so, I'd advise against it. I assume it's also the reason for your limited amount of time in Rome.

You can gain more time -- and pay less -- if you take the train from Civitavecchia on your own. You won't have assigned seats, but if you are fit, as you say, it shouldn't matter that much if you have to stand part way.

[quote name='Bootsy15']Thanks Gracie;)

My husband and I have visited Rome last year and so have seen the Colosseum, Forum and Vatican from the inside, also visited the Trevi Fountain.

The Piazza Navona and the Pantheon will be new to all of us...[/QUOTE]

Different story then for sure...and the three posters before this one of mine ALL know far more than I do about it. Have a wonderful trip whatever you do!!:) Edited by Gracie115

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice.:)

We are uncertain with using the local train from Civitavecchia because of the road works around the port - I understand that the shuttle drop off is 1.4km from the station now - and so further time needs to be allocated to an from the ship. (as well as the additional walking, probably in high temps)

Can anyone confirm that, if we purchase a BIRG ticket, we can catch any train back to the port and not limited to a specific time please?

[quote name='Bootsy15']Can anyone confirm that, if we purchase a BIRG ticket, we can catch any train back to the port and not limited to a specific time please?[/quote]Yes, you can catch any REGIONALE/REGIONALE VELOCE train (which is most of them), it's not good on IC or Freccia trains.

Regarding the walk to the station, yes it's longer than normal but it's still under a mile. Edited by euro cruiser

And there's a bus which will take you right to the station for 1E.

If you go to [url]www.trenitalia.com[/url], just click on the British Flag top right corner, then type in your stations (Civitavecchia & Roma Ostiense for ex.) and it will give you all the train times.

[quote name='Turtles06']Since we are speaking about walking around Rome, about how long should it take to walk from the Pantheon to the Vatican? Thanks![/quote]
It depends on several variables. First, are you talking about St. Peter's basilica or the Vatican museums?

From the Pantheon to the entrance of the museums is 1.6 miles; the average walker could cover this in 30 - 45 minutes, but that's without stopping and looking around.

From the Pantheon to the basilica is 1.1 miles, so I'd say between 20 - 30 minutes, again without stops along the way.

Keep in mind that time of year will impact your time as well, due to crowds on some of the narrower roads/paths and also due to heat.

[quote name='euro cruiser']It depends on several variables. First, are you talking about St. Peter's basilica or the Vatican museums?

From the Pantheon to the entrance of the museums is 1.6 miles; the average walker could cover this in 30 - 45 minutes, but that's without stopping and looking around.

From the Pantheon to the basilica is 1.1 miles, so I'd say between 20 - 30 minutes, again without stops along the way.

Keep in mind that time of year will impact your time as well, due to crowds on some of the narrower roads/paths and also due to heat.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the prompt reply! And sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm talking about St. Peter's. And it will be late October, so hopefully not that hot or crowded. :)

Thanks again for the info!

Hmm, previous posters & sleuths have beaten me to it ;)

Ship's train is grossly over-priced, even though it includes shuttle to/from Civi station and you're guaranteed a seat on the train. But very expensive seats, compared to the local train at 12 euros.
But I'm not sure you'll get much longer in Rome by using local trains, depending on your back=on-board time. For back-on-board time of, say, 5.30 you'd need to leave San Pietro station by 4pm latest & most of us would recommend you take the train before the last possible one, leaving that last one as back-up for any last-second glitches. Trains back from San Pietro will almost certainly be packed with cruisers, everyone manages to get on though you'll be standing for most or all of the 55 minute journey. Much more comfy if you board at Termini but that'd mean a complete re-jig of your day plus the time wasted by getting to Termini and the train's (20 minutes?) earlier departure from there.

Colosseum and Forum exterior views only?
Well worth spending time in both, though the Colosseum will take a bite of perhaps an hour out of your day. Take the train from Civi to Ostiense, then the metro from the well-signed adjacent Piramide metro station in the direction of Rebbibia - unlimited free travel on Rome's metro & service buses with your train ticket. If you don't pre-purchase Colosseum tickets, get off at the first stop (Circo Massimo) rather than the second one (Colosseo) & walk down the hill to the Colosseum, buying your tickets at the entrance to Paletine Hill, which is about halfway down. This avoids the queue for tickets at the Colosseum, where you can then go straight to the entrance.From the Colosseum a few hundred yards up Via Del Fora Imperiale toward Piazza Venezia & the huge white Vittirio Emanuele monument. But rather than walking [U]past[/U] the Forum walk [U]through[/U] it, it can cost you as little as 10 minutes extra. The entrance ticket is a 3-venue pass giving admission to Paletine Hill (you won't have time for that but you can buy those tickets there) plus Colosseum plus Forum.
From the front (other) side of Vittorio Emanuele walk to Trevi (if you have the time) & beyond it to Spanish Steps (I doubt you'll have time, but for most folk its no big deal) then re-trace your steps to Pantheon (free entry, usually costs only about 15 minutes). Then Piazza Navone if you have the time (again, not high on most folks' lists) and to save time a taxi ride from there or Pantheon to St Peters.
About a 15 minute walk from St Peter's to San Pietro station but allow yourselves 30 or the luxury of another little taxi ride.
Train back to Civi at the end of a busy but worthwhile day.

Just MHO as always

[B][COLOR="Red"]JB[/COLOR][/B] :) Edited by John Bull

Do the bus from the ship. We did it and rode there in relative comfort. Bus took 1.5 hours and we had plenty of time to explore. Arrived in Rome at 9:20AM

What I did wrong was bother with the hop-on-hop on bus. It was cheaper to just taxi from place to place. For instance it is only 10 Euros from the Vatican- to the Colluseum. It is about 10 Euros from the Colluseum to the Pantheon and the Trevi fountain is in walking distance from there. Then I would taxi back to the bus pick up (you have to be there about 4:30 usually) The Via Veneto is a lovely area and this is a great place to dine al fresco (you'll be ready to sit down for an hour).

If you do it this way- you will have time to tour the Vatican, Colluseum and Patheon, toss your pennies in the Trevi fountain and still have time for a nice lunch somewhere in-between. BTW- some restaurants do not take credit cards- ask first. Bring approximately 100 Euros each for taxi's and food. Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Ships bus is slow and get stuck in traffic. Take the train, purchase BRIG pass at the station 13 euro, good for trains, subways, and buses. Google maps of bus and subway routes to where you want to go. The entrances to the underground as easy to find. Cars have end distations on them so make sure you are okay. Like any city. Please of the traffic in Rome it will be you fastest way. The underground can get crowded, watch you possitions, as in any big city. YES, if you can walk a couple of miles and are a fast walker 15 minute K walker you can easily walk to all the sites. For food, grab something on the go, while you are walking (like the Roman's do.)