Shopping Formal Gowns

Jeff&Mel

Go to your bigger department store online sites....Macy's, Dillards, Belk, etc.....they all have decent return policies.

You can also rely upon the photo looking like the actual product when shopping from reputable sites like these.

I used Amazon and bought an Ever Pretty brand dress. It was well made and very inexpensive...I was very shocked. I read the reviews for their dresses and they typically had great reviews.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I went to a large thrift store and they had a full wall at the back of their store FULL of formal dresses. The prices varied from 2.00 and the most expensive was 29.00. I bought a beautiful gown for 29.00. If I would have waited til the next day I could have gotten a 50 percent off coupon. I sent the dress to be cleaned and it is like new. We dress up for formal nights when we cruise so this price is excellent for a one time use gown. I will donate it when I return. I also found swim trunks , some brand new for my husband and son.

I went to a large thrift store and they had a full wall at the back of their store FULL of formal dresses. The prices varied from 2.00 and the most expensive was 29.00. I bought a beautiful gown for 29.00. If I would have waited til the next day I could have gotten a 50 percent off coupon. I sent the dress to be cleaned and it is like new. We dress up for formal nights when we cruise so this price is excellent for a one time use gown. I will donate it when I return. I also found swim trunks , some brand new for my husband and son.

Just a thought but if you are going to donate the dress when you get home, how about leaving it on the ship. Ask at the front office if they have a small collection of gowns they can loan to a guest who didn't get their luggage. Maybe if you wanted to donate it, some grateful lady might get to wear it if her suitcase isn't delivered.

I would go online and type in "inexpensive evening gowns" and see what comes up. Or you could type in "plus size evening gowns" or petite size evening gowns", or whatever size it is you wear. That would be a good place to start.

Happy hunting...hope you find something you like!:D

Light in the Box has awesome reviews. I have not ordered from them yet but will very soon. My son when to a review site (I don't know the name) and found they have excellent reviews.

I am planning to order 4 dresses, we have a b2b in February.

Cruise ship dress codes vary, some have none a all, others have more formal ideas .

The formal on one ship[ will be the country club casual on another.

It is necessary to know the codes before you buy.

I had to make my formals, not because of size, I am 12/14 but because many formals in the stores - even Dillards , Macey, etc are strictly for 18-20 year olds, and I am 88. I need a dress with jewel neckline and short (just above elbow) sleeves, and of these NOT ONE anywhere, no matter the price.

I looked in the consignment stores here, but my town is very casual, and tends to BBQ rather than "Black tie" and the dresses in the consignment stores reflect that.

I go all out on my accessories, stoles , glitzy bags, necklaces (costume stones not real ),

Light in the Box has awesome reviews. I have not ordered from them yet but will very soon. My son when to a review site (I don't know the name) and found they have excellent reviews.

I am planning to order 4 dresses, we have a b2b in February.

There are also some terrible reviews.

http://womeninbusiness.about.com/od/newsreviewsinterviews/fr/Review-Of-Light-In-The-Box-Online-Store.htm

http://light-in-the-box.pissedconsumer.com/

http://www.complaintsboard.com/bycompany/light-in-the-box-a116749.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/lightinthebox.html

• 1 month later...
Cruise ship dress codes vary, some have none a all, others have more formal ideas .

The formal on one ship[ will be the country club casual on another.

It is necessary to know the codes before you buy.

I had to make my formals, not because of size, I am 12/14 but because many formals in the stores - even Dillards , Macey, etc are strictly for 18-20 year olds, and I am 88. I need a dress with jewel neckline and short (just above elbow) sleeves, and of these NOT ONE anywhere, no matter the price.

I looked in the consignment stores here, but my town is very casual, and tends to BBQ rather than "Black tie" and the dresses in the consignment stores reflect that.

I go all out on my accessories, stoles , glitzy bags, necklaces (costume stones not real ),

Hi Jiimsgirl,

It is nice to see you posting here as well as Cunard section. Hope all is well with you. I hope our paths cross.

Marie

Can anyone recommend a site to shop online for formal gowns?

Not the ideal way to shop for a gown but I have very few options.

TIA

I have a personal shopper at Saks, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom and Bloomingdale. They know my style. They always let me know when they see something I might like. They also let me know when they have a sale. Since I have credit card with them I get to shop before other shoppers.

Neiman Marcus is having a 65% off now:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Sale/Womens-Apparel/Dresses/Formal/cat46520814_cat46520808_cat46520736/c.cat

Saks is Having a 70% off:

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/search/SearchSale.jsp?tre=salenav2