Dakar, Senegal

We have an 8am to 8pm stop in Dakar on our Atlantic Crossing voyage, it seems a long time for a port with only 3 tour offerings. Wondered if anyone has been there and can advise what currency they will accept other than their own, any thoughts on what to buy for souvenirs also should we pay the asking price? We may never be in Africa again so want to make the most of this stop.

Thanks

They will take US$ and yes, you should bargain. There is a very good crafts market on the pier.

I took the Goree island tour (albeit on a different cruise line) and enjoyed it.

Edited by xrvlcruiser

Regent has titled its Goree Island excursion "Unforgettable Goree Island," and the word "Unforgettable" is not hype. I still have memories of that excursion from the Royal Viking Sea's maiden voyage, "Christmas in Africa," December, 1973. It was very moving to walk through the buildings and cells that held shackled men, women and children bound for a life of slavery in America.

Rich

Thanks XRVLcruiser, we may consider the Goree Island excursion, glad to have the info about currency and am looking forward to bargaining, it will be my first time. Have you by any chance also been to Porto Grande, Cape Verde, the best information seems to come from people who have been places.

golfer21,

I was there about 4 years ago - on the Voyager. I checked my diary and don't have any notes from the stop.

Tell me again when your trip is and I'll look at the tours offered and maybe it will og my memory.

peggy

We were there on the Mariner in 2012. I would spend a lovely day on the ship if I were you

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For me to go all the way to Africa knowing this port was one of my stops and staying onboard for the whole day would be a killer for me when I got home. It is like going to South America with a stop at Devils Island and not going ashore. Both might be low on attractions or are nightmares as far as living standards or history are concerned, but they are there and available to the cruising tourist. Very possibly there were more than a handful of Mariner cruisers who did not visit Goree Island in 2012 for whatever reasons. I would have gone if only to see what I have often read about.

We visited Goree Island a few months ago and I would recommend it.

As Peggy mentioned I would bargain for any local items. Figure out what you think it is worth to you rather than what the starting price is. We purchased some items on the island and USA dollars were welcome.

At the pier they had a lot of vendors selling items along most of the length of the pier. That was not the best experience as they were very (and I mean very) pushy so like us it ended up turning a lot of people off to even look.

We were happy that we purchased items on the island where it was a lot less intense.

As to the downtown area of Dakar if it was me I would not walk that on your own. I would not feel comfortable doing it.

Keith

I would agree with Keith - Goree Island was interesting, we were not given time to shop there but I'm sure Keith is right about that too - less pressure than on the pier.

I would agree about wandering around downtown.

The crafts are very interesting and well worth checking out.

Peggy

For me to go all the way to Africa knowing this port was one of my stops and staying onboard for the whole day would be a killer for me when I got home. It is like going to South America with a stop at Devils Island and not going ashore. Both might be low on attractions or are nightmares as far as living standards or history are concerned, but they are there and available to the cruising tourist. Very possibly there were more than a handful of Mariner cruisers who did not visit Goree Island in 2012 for whatever reasons. I would have gone if only to see what I have often read about.

I was referring to Porto Grande, Cape Verde.