6/1/14 weather update + travel tips-ROME

buffetking

Looks like another sunny day, I dont see any clouds at 6.45 am, just sunshine...yah!

Dan's "fat boy" travel tips......

You decide to walk from the Colosseum to the Vatican. With trusty tourist map in hand,

take off in a direction you think is correct. (does not matter really....just start walking).

After a mile or two....try and figure out where you are? None of the streets seem to be on your map. None of the buildings seem to be on your map. So, bicker a little with your spouse, and bravely carry on. You will pass by many couples, map in hand, looking as confused as you. Eventually, say to yourself "hell with it", hail the next passing cab, and ten minutes and ten euros later you will arrive cheerfully at the Vatican....to stand in a 2 hour line to get in.

And better yet, you and the spouse will still be on speaking terms.

Tip 2....book a "skip the line" tour. We got "right in" the Vatican, and skipped the line at St. Peters too. Very nice.

Today we are touring the Colesseum with a skip the line tour. Not waiting in an hour line keeps this fat boy as happy as if I had a tub of chocolate gelato in front of me...(had that yesterday.. hee heeeeee).

On a side note, we took a taxi from the Vatican to the Parthenon. Then followed the signs

(yes, actual direction signs), to the Trevi fountain. Where the crowds were pretty thick around the waters edge. Fight your way in, toss a coin over your shoulder, and smile....you're in Rome !

Well now its time for breakfast....Pizza with Prosciutto !

Happy travels !

Glad you are having a good time despite the "wandering"!

Having a good map is really useful if you're not familiar with Rome. Most of the streets are very twisty so it's hard to know if you are going in the right direction, especially if your map (as many of the tourist ones do) only shows the main streets and not all the little ones.

Your taxi fare from the Vatican must have been incredible, as the Parthenon is in Athens....! :D

Lol Dan your post sure put a smile on my face this morning. We were in Rome in October 2012 for our first time. I read so much on these boards and Tripadvisor about the details of tours and such before I went. We thought we were pretty prepared and my husband speaks italian. Our chuckle moment was when we were in a small italian town and tried to use the ATM and my husband put his card in and then realized that while he could speak italian he could not read it!!! He quickly figured out how to cancel and we went into the bank and they were glad to help us out.

Have fun and we will be returning to Rome in 13 days.

Virginia