Can I make it in a regular cabin with a scooter rental?

Hello all,

I am very new on this board. I have recently been diagnosed with Lupus so I am still learning where my limitations are.

We just went on a 5 day Disney cruise and I had alot of time spent sitting in the cabin bc walking the ship wore me out too much and caused such pain I was unable to stand.

I have recently had to get a handicapped parking hang tag for my car. I will not use it unless I HAVE to go into a store and I worry I won't have the energy to make it back to my car. (This has happened once, hubby had to come pick me up). Now I either put off going somewhere until I have more energy or send hubby for me.

Because of this, I would like to rent a scooter for our next cruise in case I need it. I do not anticipate using it the entire time, just if I have a flare or know I will be out walking excessively. Would the scooter fit in a standard cabin? Since I am able to walk, I hesitate to book the HC accessible cabin.

Also, has anyone ever been able to fit a stool into a standard cabin shower? I have stability problems when showering for some reason and have added a small stool to my shower at home. I have had 3 seizures while taking showers. Happens when I get dizzy if I try to keep going and don't sit for a minute.

basically, I am not wanting to take a HC cabin from a person who truly needs it, I just don't want to fool myself into thinking I can manage everything in a standard cabin.

It is very thoughtful of you to think of those with greater need but it sounds like you need an HC cabin. If you want to use a standard cabin ask if they can provide a shower bench and make sure that you get a small sized scooter. We used to do that when my son could still walk a bit. It worked okay for us. When onboard you can ask if there is someplace other than your cabin where you could park the scooter (not in the corridors). I have seen them parked near the elevators. We always kept his in our cabin. I hope that helps.

Princess bathrooms are really too small for the stool. We asked for one on our last cruise (Coral Princess) and it took up nearly all the space in the shower. My sister had to turn it onto its side to take a shower. As to getting it into the cabin, it depends on the scooter make and model. And once you get it into the cabin (if possible) you would not be able to turn it around. You would not be able to get it to the far side of the bed, where to outlet would be to charge it. You could probably park it in the closet area, as most Princess closets are large and open, but then you would be nowhere near a plug, either. HC cabins are not just for full time WC users. There are all types and degrees of HC, and it sounds like you need to accept that you need a HC cabin. EM

Many of the symptoms of Lupus are very similar to that of MS and I know first on how deliberating a flare-up can be. With that said your intention of not booking an accessible cabin is admirable but not practical given the circumstances.

The US Federal regulation that went into effect back on 1/1/2012 clearly states :

or an individual ( individual for whom the cabins is being reserved) seeking to reserve an accessible cabin must have a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features provided in the cabin.

Therefore given the fact that you need to be assured of a seat that fits properly and safely fits in the shower and probably grab bars not to mention the other safety features contained in the bathroom, you qualify for and should book an accessible cabin if available.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thanks for the tips! Seeing as we will be traveling with my son (and his stroller) cabin storage for a scooter and a stroller really could be an issue.

Do not hesitate to book an accesible cabin. You do need one. Cabins are small and you would be cramped in a regular cabin.

Do not hesitate to book an accesible cabin. You do need one. Cabins are small and you would be cramped in a regular cabin.

I agree with all the posters that you should ask for an accessible cabin. Your needs certainly warrant having one. The shower and the chair in it and the space in the cabin for a scooter would really help you.

Not sure if You want to consider buying a Travel Scoot. I just bought one and brought it on a cruise and I loved having it. I could drive right up to the door of the plane and they carried it down to the hold. It weighs about 17 kilos and can fit in the trunk of a car. The battery comes off to charge it and I plugged it in overnight in the cabin. You can check the web site at http://www.travelscootcanada.com for all the details and pictures and video etc. I highly recommend it for use while shopping and travelling etc. Some of the corridors on the ships are very long and I used it on the ship as well as at many of the ports and in airports and city streets too.

I know many people do rent scooters but if you think you could use one at other times it might be better to purchase. Something to consider if you could use a scooter at times other than cruising. Let me know if I can offer any other info.

Wendy

Edited by mexico8

I agree with everyone else. I had a hard time at first accepting that I needed a handicap parking tag or handicap rooms. Now I don't hesitate to require accessible rooms. I do discuss it with the reservation taker at the time in case they have mobility modified rooms or options that will work versus taking a fully wheelchair accessible room.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by sherilyn70

I am disabled and love to cruise. For the past four years I have needed accessible cabins as I am very unsteady on my feet, cannot handle the step into a regular washroom, need to sit down when I shower and I take a rollator and wheelchair with me, plus I rent a scooter. I can take a few steps without assistance. I share all of this because when I booked my first accessible cabin I was very reluctant to do so. I felt as though I should try to make do without one in case someone else needed it more than I. Well, believe me, I have changed my mind since then. I book early to make sure that I get an accessible cabin, and if none are available, I find a different cruise.

I am of the belief that the cruise lines should make more cabins accessible. Our generation is growing older and is reaching the point in life where we need these cabins. And, our money is still green. I also just read a post from a cruiser with Lupus. The impression I got from her post is that she feels guilty for needing the accessible cabin. Oh my. We need to work on our attitudes and be thankful that these features are available.

I am disabled and love to cruise. For the past four years I have needed accessible cabins as I am very unsteady on my feet, cannot handle the step into a regular washroom, need to sit down when I shower and I take a rollator and wheelchair with me, plus I rent a scooter. I can take a few steps without assistance. I share all of this because when I booked my first accessible cabin I was very reluctant to do so. I felt as though I should try to make do without one in case someone else needed it more than I. Well, believe me, I have changed my mind since then. I book early to make sure that I get an accessible cabin, and if none are available, I find a different cruise.

I am of the belief that the cruise lines should make more cabins accessible. Our generation is growing older and is reaching the point in life where we need these cabins. And, our money is still green. I also just read a post from a cruiser with Lupus. The impression I got from her post is that she feels guilty for needing the accessible cabin. Oh my. We need to work on our attitudes and be thankful that these features are available.

Personally I never hesitate to book an accessible given the need for one.

Though it would be nice if cruise lines built more accessible cabins but he cold hard truth is it's all about revenue. Accessible cabins require approximately 1.5 to 2x the space than the standard cabin in the same category. ADA law does not apply to the build out of a cruise ship unless that ship is registered to and sails under the USA Flag as that of NCL's Pride of America. Even at that there is a complex formula relative to non-accessible cabins vs. accessible cabins to determine the number of accessible cabins and the cruise lines would still be only required to meet the minimum at best.

I cruised in Feb. 2014, and for the first time we took my Pride GoGo Elite Traveller Plus mobility scooter. I was very anxious since this was the first cruise with a scooter. We didn't have an accessible cabin, because I could use my cane in the cabin, and I'm still fairly steady in the shower, etc. However, the next cruise we take, I probably will reserve an accessible cabin, for safety reasons. You can never be too cautious. The last thing I want to do is take a fall.

In response to your question regarding the scooter in a standard cabin, I was able to drive into the cabin on my scooter. I would drive down the hallway, position the scooter in such a way that my DH would open the cabin door, step inside to hold the door open, and I would drive into the cabin. I had about an inch on each side of the scooter. Of course, there were no cabins across from us, and a little hallway next to our cabin, so I could make tight turns, etc. to angle the scooter and drive into the cabin. I also removed the arms. It is a three-wheeled scooter and going forward, backward, and turning in tight spots is pretty easy. This was a standard balcony cabin on the Carnival Pride.

Have fun on your next cruise!

OK, we booked the accessible cabin. It did require us to totally change plans. We had originally intended to book the NCL Breakaway from New York but the cabin choices for accessible with 3 people were inside, OV or full suite. The idea of not having a balcony was too much for me to take. We are now sailing Crown Princess from LA! LOL

Thanks all for the tips and making me feel welcome on this board!

OK, we booked the accessible cabin. It did require us to totally change plans. We had originally intended to book the NCL Breakaway from New York but the cabin choices for accessible with 3 people were inside, OV or full suite. The idea of not having a balcony was too much for me to take. We are now sailing Crown Princess from LA! LOL

Thanks all for the tips and making me feel welcome on this board!

Accessibles are in short supply, so it is always wise to book as early as possible' Some of the Princess ships have Window suites which are larger and less expensive than full suite. No balcony! On cruises to some places a balcony is a waste of money. And on some ships there are larger cabins that can work. you may have to bring a shower stool or get one from Housekeeping. Lots of things to learn about cruising if mobility is a problem and this is the best place for info. Now go and enjoy.