Die Hard Carnival Cruiser, Sell me on the Brilliance of the Seas

I cruise Carnival. I like the product and the price point. RCI has a great sale going on right now, and the price is right I am considering jumping ship to try RCI.

Sell me on the ship! What are the pros and cons of this? I understand it's one of the older ships, but even with the discount the megaships are out of my price range.

I like shows, I like activities like audience participation game shows. I can't ice skate, so that's not a selling point, and I'm a bit fluffy for rock climbing.

We were on the Brillance out of Tampa to Cozumel a couple of months ago.

Mostly cruised on the smaller older RCCL ships and this was a different ship completely. Loved the ship, loved the layout and I believe it was just recently renovated. I have cruised Carnival 7 times and now 10 times with RCCL

I prefer RCCL because it just seems to be a better fit for our style of cruising.

Not as gaudy as most Carnival ships and offers pretty much the same food, entertainment etc.

Try it, you will not be disappointed

Why should anyone have to "Sell you on the Brilliance " ? You either want to go or don't . No one on should make the decision for you.

If you don't have anything of value to add, you could skip the thread. I'm asking for opinions and pros/cons of this particular ship as I've not sailed on this line/ship before and am considering trying it. No different than anyone else looking for advice.

We were on the Brillance out of Tampa to Cozumel a couple of months ago.

Mostly cruised on the smaller older RCCL ships and this was a different ship completely. Loved the ship, loved the layout and I believe it was just recently renovated. I have cruised Carnival 7 times and now 10 times with RCCL

I prefer RCCL because it just seems to be a better fit for our style of cruising.

Not as gaudy as most Carnival ships and offers pretty much the same food, entertainment etc.

Try it, you will not be disappointed

What is your cruising style? I am the type of cruiser who doesn't like to sit around and do nothing on board. I don't like laying out in the sun, I turn in to a lobster at the drop of a hat :-)

Brilliance is one of the Radiance class ships. It seems about the size of the Pride. The design of the Brilliance is easy to get around. There is a lot of glass so very easy to see the ocean. There is no ice skating rink on BOS, but there is a mini golf course, rock wall and of course swimming pool.

Not sure of activities as it has been 6 years since we sailed her and there can be differences from sailing to sailing. CD affects this. There is usually the Love and Marriage show and the Quest, an adult scavenger hunt. And there will be trivia. Live bands in the lounges and of course production shows.

It is a similar product to Carnival..Take advantage of the sale to try something new. Then you will know whether RC is a good fit for you.

What is your cruising style? I am the type of cruiser who doesn't like to sit around and do nothing on board. I don't like laying out in the sun, I turn in to a lobster at the drop of a hat :-)

The climate-controlled solarium may be just the thing for you. At least one regular poster on these boards insists that the glass roof covering the Solarium prevents the UVA and UVB rays from burning your skin. But there will be plenty of things to do besides sitting around or lying in the sun. There is a minigolf course, basketball court and rock wall if any of those activities appeal to you. There is also a well-equipped fitness center available to you and there are any number of activities scheduled during the day that can occupy your time. There is also a stadium seating style cinema onboard as well as a big screen at poolside.

I'm not sure what you want us to tell you about Brilliance that would convince you to choose her over a Carnival ship. She is one of our favorite ships and the one we have sailed on most frequently over the past year. The crew and staff are friendly, the ship easy to navigate, and she sails some interesting and attractive itineraries. We love her glass elevators, especially the ones facing the ocean, and the many views of the outside from various areas of the ship. The alfresco dining available in the aft section of the Windjammer Cafe is an especially pleasant spot for breakfast, lunch or dinner. If you could indicate what your Carnival cruise offered you that you believe will be absent on Brilliance, we might be better able to respond. Brilliance is 12 years old, certainly not one of the newest ships, but hardly "old" when it comes to cruise ships and she received an extensive renewal just a year ago so she is in excellent condition.

We like the shows, the lounge entertainment is very good. We do sit in the sun a bit but also like sitting in public areas around the ship and just people watching and reading a book. This ship has a Solarium where it is adult only pool and Jacuzzi and a very nice little restaurant and bar all covered with a retractable roof. I have been on three cruises with a Solarium and have never seen the roof rolled back. You would like this area I think

Towel animals and the waiter dance are two of my favorite things on Carnival. Do they have these on RCI as well?

For those of you who have cruised both, how does the food compare? I am not picky, but I'm not adventurous with food either. How formal is the dining rooms? I liked being served, but I am not necessarily fond of dressing up every night. Jeans and a nice shirt are my normal cruise attire.

Here is a link that may help answer some of your questions. This will take you directly to the Brilliance of the Seas page on the RCI website.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=RD&shipCode=BR&br=R

We have cruised on Carnival four times and RCI ships four times with another cruise scheduled next year. We have sailed on Radiance of the Seas which is a Brilliance sister ship. It had the Wow factor we were looking for! We have never had a dull moment on RCI cruises. We love Carnival and have enjoyed every cruise we had, but RCI exceeds our expectations every time.

You might enjoy reading some of the Cruise Critic Member Reviews of people who have cruised on the Brilliance.

Happy cruising!

I've spent 29 days on Brilliance this year on two Transatlantics. I love the ship. It's in gorgeous shape.

However, Brilliance does a variety of itineraries. What exact cruise are you looking at?

Towel animals and the waiter dance are two of my favorite things on Carnival. Do they have these on RCI as well?

For those of you who have cruised both, how does the food compare? I am not picky, but I'm not adventurous with food either. How formal is the dining rooms? I liked being served, but I am not necessarily fond of dressing up every night. Jeans and a nice shirt are my normal cruise attire.

On our most recent Brilliance cruise which was a 14night eastbound TA from Tampa to Harwich, UK, we had towel animals on 12 of the 14 nights and we had a wonderful room attendant who seemed to anticipate our every need. There is no formal dress code, only dress suggestions, on RCI despite what some posters might wish, and your normal cruise attire would gain you admission to the main dining room on any night including those nights where the "suggested" dress code is "formal".

It has been some years since we cruised with Carnival but I am generally quite pleased with the food selection, preparation and presentation on RCI.

Brilliance entertainment includes some production shows, including Tango Buenos Aires, and a collection of singers, comics, and a variety of performers. The quality of those performers may vary from cruise to cruise but we have had the good fortune to see a number of excellent performers.

I understand that Carnival has either cut back or totally eliminated live music on its ships. If that is the case, you are in for a treat on RCI which features live music in its various entertainment venues. (On the Brilliance, these would include poolside, the King & Country Pub, Schooner Bar, Colony Club, Centrum and, of course, the theater (with its 11 piece band.)

The wait staff does parade and sing on the final evening of your cruise, We prefer My Time Dining, so depending on when we choose to dine, we may or may not miss their performance.

RCI has a great loyalty program compared to Carnival. Brilliance of the Seas has a great Diamond Lounge (Diamond and up) and Concierge Lounge (Diamond +) that has complimentary specialty coffees (from a self-serve machine) and free drinks during happy hour. Great places to relax & get away from the madding crowd.

Again, I don't know how I'll survive my upcoming Carnival B2B without my beloved Diamond Lounge. :-(

Brilliance of the Seas Nov 6th, 2015 I think. It's a 5 day going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman, for 733 with taxes and fees. Two of my coworkers and their families will be on board. It perked my interest.

We were on Brilliance for a New England/Canada cruise last October. It was our first time on Royal Caribbean. We loved Brilliance!! Because of the time of year and itinerary, my wife and I, who are in our late 40's, were some of the youngest passengers on the ship. We always found something fun to do on sea days. They had lots of audience participation activities. On the Brilliance, they really utilized the atrium area for evening activities, which was pretty nice; you could watch from all of the decks and have a good view. We've sailed on Carnival before; we liked the food better on RCI. The entertainment was about the same. We'll be on the same itinerary as your sailing this November, out of Tampa. Give it a try!!

Towel animals and the waiter dance are not going to make or break a cruise for me.....they are cutsy things. If that is what you choose a cruise line based on......I have to wonder.

No one can convince someone else to do something....if you want the entertainment Royal offers, the activities they make available, the food options, the itineraries and onboard activities -- then cruise Royal if you feel you are getting a good price for the booking....if not -- keep cruising on Carnival.....someone else will fill the cabin you are not in.

Towel animals and the waiter dance are not going to make or break a cruise for me.....they are cutsy things. If that is what you choose a cruise line based on......I have to wonder.

No one can convince someone else to do something....if you want the entertainment Royal offers, the activities they make available, the food options, the itineraries and onboard activities -- then cruise Royal if you feel you are getting a good price for the booking....if not -- keep cruising on Carnival.....someone else will fill the cabin you are not in.

Why do you have to wonder? Some people make their booking choices on just such things and I decided long ago that it is foolish to judge such folks for their decisions or for their reasons for making them. The OP has asked for reasons why regular RCI cruisers think he might enjoy an RCI cruise. Whether or not our comments will play any role in his decision may be questionable, but only he can make that decision and if towel animals or the waiters dance are important to him, so be it.

People convince others to do things all the time.

If you don't have anything of value to add, you could skip the thread. I'm asking for opinions and pros/cons of this particular ship as I've not sailed on this line/ship before and am considering trying it. No different than anyone else looking for advice.

Like! :D

People convince others to do things all the time.

No one can convince someone else of anything. A person does something, buys something, choices to act in some way because they believe it is in their best interest to do it -- not because someone else has convinced them to do it.

Brilliance of the Seas Nov 6th, 2015 I think. It's a 5 day going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman, for 733 with taxes and fees. Two of my coworkers and their families will be on board. It perked my interest.

Brilliance November 16, 2015 sailing goes to Coz and GC.

$733 with taxes and fees - per person or for two?

What category stateroom?

Carnival Paradise (Fantasy class) also does that itinerary from Tampa. Since you are familiar with the Carnival product, compare prices and what the ships offer between Paradise and Brilliance. If you use Carnival Early Saver prices, keep in mind the restrictions on booking that rate vs the restrictions Royal has for deposits. Is the Royal price using the current bogoho and/or wow promotions?