Die Hard Carnival Cruiser, Sell me on the Brilliance of the Seas

This is the view down the wake. If you are lucky enough to have an aft balcony this is what you see.

DSCN0225_zps34e9d15c.jpg

Not bad for one of RCCL's "OLD" ships.

Actually this class is our favorite and we've sailed all four of them. You can't go wrong, IMHO.

Brilliance is gorgeous - my only beef would be the shower curtains on Brilliance as opposed to shower doors (which I prefer) on Jewel and Serenade. :)

While, given my druthers, I would prefer the shower doors found on Jewel and Serenade, I found that the shower curtains on Brilliance were of a heavier material than we experienced on other ships and were less apt to wrap themselves around me when I showered. Certainly not a significant issue for us.

While, given my druthers, I would prefer the shower doors found on Jewel and Serenade, I found that the shower curtains on Brilliance were of a heavier material than we experienced on other ships and were less apt to wrap themselves around me when I showered. Certainly not a significant issue for us.

Of course. I am so in love with the Radiance-class ships anyway that this certainly wouldn't make or break my cruise. Just sharing. :D

Brilliance November 16, 2015 sailing goes to Coz and GC.

$733 with taxes and fees - per person or for two?

What category stateroom?

Carnival Paradise (Fantasy class) also does that itinerary from Tampa. Since you are familiar with the Carnival product, compare prices and what the ships offer between Paradise and Brilliance. If you use Carnival Early Saver prices, keep in mind the restrictions on booking that rate vs the restrictions Royal has for deposits. Is the Royal price using the current bogoho and/or wow promotions?

That must be it! It was for two, and I think it was an inside, but we were also looking at ocean view since I've never sailed on an ocean view. It's for their buy one get the second fare half off special. I am not really interested in price comparing, more like cruise line comparing. I have found a price I'm willing to pay, but I'm just a little hesitant on jumping all in because well I LIKE Carnival, and while towel animals and waiter dances aren't the only thing I base my cruise on, they are things I like and feel make the cruise a little bit more exciting.

BUT.. well, the pictures are very pretty. I think I might just take the plunge and give it a try. I'd like to see if the difference in price between RCI and carnival is worth it for the product and experience.

That must be it! It was for two, and I think it was an inside, but we were also looking at ocean view since I've never sailed on an ocean view. It's for their buy one get the second fare half off special. I am not really interested in price comparing, more like cruise line comparing. I have found a price I'm willing to pay, but I'm just a little hesitant on jumping all in because well I LIKE Carnival, and while towel animals and waiter dances aren't the only thing I base my cruise on, they are things I like and feel make the cruise a little bit more exciting.

BUT.. well, the pictures are very pretty. I think I might just take the plunge and give it a try. I'd like to see if the difference in price between RCI and carnival is worth it for the product and experience.

I think that you are being very analytical before you commit. As I recall, the reason for this whole question is that there are other people that are cruising Brilliance that you are thinking about joining.To be cliche and steal the Nike thing, "Just Do It"!

There have been quite a few encouraging comments to go. Some comments have little to do with your hot points. You don't do the pool and sounds like you don't use the gym. You don't have access to the loyalty lounges and chances are you won't be climbing the rock wall. The solarium is a nice plus and the Park Cafe,in the solarium, has a killer roast beef sandwich. The mini golf course is nice to try. The entertainment is luck of the draw. If you really like the Carnival experience then you are braver than me to try another line.

Enjoy!

I really don't think you'll regret cruising with RC on Brilliance. We've also sailed both Carnival and Royal Caribbean and find there are more similarities than differences. I have to agree that Royal's ships are, in my opinion, much classier than Carnival's. As far as food, I don't find that much difference between the two lines.

Thanks for posting the pictures of Brilliance. We've sailed Serenade which is a sister ship of Brilliance and loved it especially all the glass around the ship. We're sailing Brilliance next May on a Transatlantic.. can't wait! :)

Brilliance is gorgeous - my only beef would be the shower curtains on Brilliance as opposed to shower doors (which I prefer) on Jewel and Serenade. :)

That's great news Karen - I hate the shower curtains too. We'll be on Serenade in November 2015 so that's good to know.

I see you are doing Serenade in 2015 as well:D

She's a gorgeous ship, as all the Radiance class are. I agree with the others that she is very easy to get around, and the posted photos show you how well the spaces were planned. If you go on that cruise, I think you'll find that five days are not enough!

D

Towel animals and the waiter dance are two of my favorite things on Carnival. Do they have these on RCI as well?

For those of you who have cruised both, how does the food compare? I am not picky, but I'm not adventurous with food either. How formal is the dining rooms? I liked being served, but I am not necessarily fond of dressing up every night. Jeans and a nice shirt are my normal cruise attire.

I think I can help you with info. I'm platinum on Carnival and happen to love the product. However, I've been on 3 RCI cruises and just got off the Jewel which is a sister ship to the one you are interested in.

I will compare RCI to CCL in general because all ships are different. RCI ships are prettier/classier than most Carnival ships. Dining is about the same. I think desserts on RCI are better than CCL aside from the chocolate melting cake & bitter n blanc which are my personal CCL favorites. But they are still comparible since both have grand marnier souffle & creme brulee.

Rooms are classier on RCI but it depends on the cabin selection. All CCL rooms are same sq footage where RCI has various sizes. RCI generally has real shower doors instead of that plastic curtain that clings to the body. CCL really needs to get their act together in that regard. Fighting that shower curtain is not a pretty sight.:rolleyes: I've usually had a more comfy bed on CCL. It depends on the ship though. The Jewel was hard as a rock and I like my beds hard but that was ridiculous. But the room steward gladly added an egg crate topper for me and made it more tolerable.

The adult pool area on RCL is far superior to the serenity adult area on CCL.

The various games are similar. They both have their own version of love & marriage type show, various trivia, pool games. CCL has the hairy chest contest where RCI has sexiest man contest and belly flop competition. Karaoke, if you enjoy that, is superior on CCL. RCI does it too late at night and it is too short and often don't offer it every night. Song selection is bad on both lines.

Towel animals are usually every night on CCL at turndown. On all my RCI cruises, I've only gotten them 3 times during a 7 day cruise. But I've never told my room steward that I love them so much or I'm sure he would have made them nightly if I had asked.

I usually don't see the shows so I'm not good to review those. But I have enjoyed comedy shows on both lines. Both comparible but I often have trouble with seating in both shows. But RCI, you can reserve your spot I think. The quest show on RCI is really fun but late at night. You must go to at least one of those in your lifetime.

Bottomline is they are both more similar than different and you really need to try it yourself. You really can't judge an entire line on one cruise or what the RCI cheerleaders that have never cruised on Carnival tell you. They are both a good product and I go by itinerary and price which usually means CCL wins for me.

I've sailed Carnival twice, the last on the Dream. RCCI by a mile. I'm booked on the Serenade [also Radiance class}, and can't wait. This will be my 8th on RCCI, so maybe that will help you decide. The difference in service is immense.

I am platinum on Carnival and I believe service is comparible. I've always had good room stewards on both lines. Dining has been hit or miss on both lines. It depends on who you get not the line itself. For example, we just got off the Jewel with a group of friends and they did a back to back. Our first 7 days that I was on, we had different waiters (2 tables) and one table got good service & the other did not. The second leg of the back to back they had horrible service the first night, talked to the maitre D, and assigned a new table the rest of the cruise and had fabulous service. The maitre d told them it was the first week for that server so you can get that anywhere on any ship on any line.

I didn't realize the ship the OP is looking at has shower curtains instead of doors. That bites. I've only had shower doors on CCL on Spirit class ships and all others have curtains and all 3 of my cruises on RCL had doors so I assumed all RCI ships had doors.

Edited by AZ Karaoke Girl

I am platinum on Carnival and I believe service is comparible. I've always had good room stewards on both lines. Dining has been hit or miss on both lines. It depends on who you get not the line itself. For example, we just got off the Jewel with a group of friends and they did a back to back. Our first 7 days that I was on, we had different waiters (2 tables) and one table got good service & the other did not. The second leg of the back to back they had horrible service the first night, talked to the maitre D, and assigned a new table the rest of the cruise and had fabulous service. The maitre d told them it was the first week for that server so you can get that anywhere on any ship on any line.

I didn't realize the ship the OP is looking at has shower curtains instead of doors. That bites. I've only had shower doors on CCL on Spirit class ships and all others have curtains and all 3 of my cruises on RCL had doors so I assumed all RCI ships had doors.

You now should know what happens when you "assume" anything.;) As I mentioned the curtain material on Brilliance appears to be heavier than we have seen on other ships and is less clingy. On our 14 night transatlantic cruise we had towel animals on at least 11 or 12 nights, so that may depend on the particular room attendant. (ours was excellent and we got them despite the fact that there we no children in our room). Overall we have received wonderful service from our waiters and assistant waiters but occasionally you can encounter someone not quite up to the task, whether they are new or simply burned out. It is not something that is confined to a particular ship or line. As mentioned, the best way to deal with a situation where service is subpar is to speak to the dining room captain or the maitre'd and it is likely that the situation will be resolved to your satisfaction.

The demographics of the passengers on a particular sailing can have an effect on the types of activities offered especially if the CD and his or her staff are well-attuned to the breakout of their guests.

Edited by negc

JUST DO IT!!! LOOK at it this way....you said you are crusing with friends, so if you dont enjoy the RCCL product you atleast have friends to keep you company the remainder of the cruise. PLUS you can say you've tried RCCL now. "A bad day at sea beats a good day at work anytime"

I really don't think you'll regret cruising with RC on Brilliance. We've also sailed both Carnival and Royal Caribbean and find there are more similarities than differences. I have to agree that Royal's ships are, in my opinion, much classier than Carnival's. As far as food, I don't find that much difference between the two lines.

Thanks for posting the pictures of Brilliance. We've sailed Serenade which is a sister ship of Brilliance and loved it especially all the glass around the ship. We're sailing Brilliance next May on a Transatlantic.. can't wait! :)

That's great news Karen - I hate the shower curtains too. We'll be on Serenade in November 2015 so that's good to know.

I see you are doing Serenade in 2015 as well:D

In 2015 we are booked on all the Radiance class ships except Radiance. I agree that the sliding doors for the showers are a major plus. Never did like the curtains. We just did the transatlantic 4/30 -5/13 and we loved the ship and crew. It's an excellent itinerary and each stop has a major thing to see. All of the stops have that European "old world" feel and charm.

JUST DO IT!!! LOOK at it this way....you said you are crusing with friends, so if you dont enjoy the RCCL product you atleast have friends to keep you company the remainder of the cruise. PLUS you can say you've tried RCCL now. "A bad day at sea beats a good day at work anytime"

I agree. You will find it to be very similar in a lot of ways, but it's always fun to sail on a different ship. People here on the RC board seem to love Radiance class ships, so I don't think you can go wrong. Go for it.

Ladies and gentlemen, one of my cruising coworkers. :-)

It's easy to have an attitude but fact of the matter is that an overwhelming number of complaints that you see about RCCL cruises is about the passengers. Imagine what the Crystal Symphony, Oceania, Cunard and Silver Seas cruisers think about people who sail RCCL.

I've seen plenty of inappropriate dress on RCCL as well.

It's easy to have an attitude but fact of the matter is that an overwhelming number of complaints that you see about RCCL cruises is about the passengers. Imagine what the Crystal Symphony, Oceania, Cunard and Silver Seas cruisers think about people who sail RCCL.

I've seen plenty of inappropriate dress on RCCL as well.

So true. I was wearing a shirt I bought in the Carnival gift shop on a RCI cruise. It had a jeweled anchor on the front and looked nice but didn't say Carnival anywhere on it. A lady said she loved my shirt. When I said I bought it on Carnival, she turned her nose up. Makes you go hmmmmm:confused: I just don't understand why so many people knock down Carnival especially those that have never stepped foot on one of their ships. I haven't had a bad cruise at all and that includes 10 on CCL, 3 on RCI & 2 on NCL.