Emerald Princess-port of Houston

Disneycruisers

The Port of Houston is very close to the Johnson Space Center which I have enjoyed visiting more than once. If you have an interest in space travel--go!

If you have an interest in naval history, the battleship, U.S.S. Texas, is also located near the Port of Houston.

QUOTE]

We've picked a hotel that is really cheep with Hilton points and I think that parking at the port makes sense with how much shuttles cost for 4 two ways. Do they actually sell out of spaces? We went to a battleship in North Carolina and the kids loved it so I think we might do that depending on when we get in from driving the day before and when we want to go wait to embark.

The Texas is very different from the North Carolina. The NC is a WWII-era ship; Texas is the last remaining "Dreadnought" class (WWI-era) battleship in the world. Worth a look just to see that.

We've picked a hotel that is really cheep with Hilton points and I think that parking at the port makes sense with how much shuttles cost for 4 two ways. Do they actually sell out of spaces?

When we cruised out of Bayport in February, the lot was less than half full.

Now there are two ships going in and out of there, Princess and one from NCL. Have not seen the lot lately, but they were supposed to be expanding it to handle both ships.

If you book and pay for the parking in advance, it guarantees you a spot as well as saves you $5.

http://www.portofhouston.com/cruise-information/parking/ 281-291-6200

http://www.bayportcruiseparking.com/ 1-877-710-2737

Edited by caribill

If we can make it to Huston at a decent hour we'll have to see the Texas Battleship. Of course that means I'll have to not shop at every quilt shop along the way and not have weather (our last drive with me and the kids took us a very long time because of the quilt shops and storms from WI to KS).

Any quilt shops worth stopping at in Huston?

The Comfort Suites La Porte apparently used to provide free shuttle service, but according to Tripadvisor reviews, no more. One guest said they helped arrange a shuttle (for their party of four) for $8 per person, and they took a taxi back to the hotel for $20. So that comes to $52, plus if you tip the taxi driver and shuttle driver figure $58.

I think I'd rather pay the extra $17 and park at the cruise terminal so that I can go straight to my car on disembarking without a lot of back and forth.

Thanks for the heads up on that. Looks like we will do the same and stay at a hotel close by (15 miles or less) and then park at the terminal. Interesting TripAdvisor reviews for most of the hotels in the area. I found a Hilton Garden Inn with a decent rate. Looks like it's off of I-45 and then 12 miles from Bayport Cruise terminal.

The Port of Houston is very close to the Johnson Space Center which I have enjoyed visiting more than once. If you have an interest in space travel--go!

If you have an interest in naval history, the battleship, U.S.S. Texas, is also located near the Port of Houston.

There are also a number of museums in Houston worth a visit--the Houston Museum of Natural History and the Museum of Fine Arts are both excellent.

Let us know if you have any special interests and we can advise further as to things to see/do.

I have booked the Space Center tour with Princess which then takes you to the airport.......Any tips for where to head to in the center?.I use a cane so not as swift on the feet as I was ... Heather:)

Edited by kruisey
change

Fish and chips

Bangers and mash

Ploughman's lunch

Steak and kidney pie

Bread and butter pudding

(above is one of the two menus offered)

Another dessert offering with the pub lunch on the Ruby was a yummy sherry trifle. Chose pub lunch twice on our 12 day cruise.

The Texas is very different from the North Carolina. The NC is a WWII-era ship; Texas is the last remaining "Dreadnought" class (WWI-era) battleship in the world. Worth a look just to see that.

Yes, indeed, the Mighty T is worth a visit. WWI, WWII, Normandy and Iwo Jima. She is a magnificent battleship. Visit the adjacent San Jacinto battlefield and monument as well.

should we worry about any weather? Are there any must do things in Huston since we'll have a car? Where is the best place to park? Or any other random things since I've never driven to a cruise.

I would worry about weather as our cruise out of Houston was very problematic, but I'm sure the Texas cheerleaders will say not to worry.

NASA has a cool visitor center nearby as others have stated. It is worth seeing if you haven't been.

Last year was a bad year weather-wise for both the port of Houston and Galveston. Fog which does happen in the coastal area can close the ports as well as the airports in the winter and last winter was an exceptionally bad year for it. In addition their was a barge accident that closed both ports. As to how the winter this year will be in regards to fog or ship/barge accidents remains to be seen. NCL operated a ship out of the Port of Houston for several years before leaving without a lot of problems. Now they are returning to the new cruise port. Let us hope this winter will be a more normal winter with way fewer problems.

The all new port facility is really nice and the surface parking right outside the terminal door is superb. Multiple road access to the port is much better than the single bridge access to Galveston which can get clogged with traffic going to the island. Nearby 6 or so miles is the Clear Lake/Webster area where NASA is located with all major brand hotels at reasonable prices, many different types of restaurants and a major shopping mall. The boardwalk at Kemah is a nice tourist area with restaurants, entertainment and some rides plus all the boat traffic going to and coming from the gulf to Clear Lake.

We had no problem with our cruise out of the port in November. Our cruise in March was delayed a few hours as they had to deep clean the ship after an outbreak of Noro. The cleaning worked as our cruise did not have any problems.