Costa Days in Port

YngRetiredCruiser

I've been looking at a few Costa cruises in the Med, and it seems as it costa cruises have shorter days in port. For example, Costa is in Athens from 7 am to 2pm, in Katakalon from 1:30 pm to 7 pm.

Most other cruises I've looked at they're in port a full day....usually from 8 or 9 am until 5 or 6 pm...

Has anybody else noticed this? Why shorter days? Still enough time in each? Any insight would be great.

Thanks.

That´s typical for Costa and MSC. But check out Costa´s neoCollection. Those itineraries have longer stops and some even overnight.

steamboats

I heard that at certain NeoCollection's Med. ports, it even offers the local supper experience at a fee. Have you tried it?

Member,

Check out the neoRiviera thread! Yes, we did the dinner in Barcelona and it was great. Small restaurant with only 5 tables for 2. Typical Catalan food (which was sort of "heavy") and excellent fine patisserie as dessert (amazing as the other dishes were more "homemade"). Wines were great too. The restaurant (Mam Y Teca) is run by a couple, he´s cooking, she´s serving. You can see photos here (scroll down to "Tag 4 - Barcelona"). The other restaurant offered was the "Allium". The other port for a local dinner was Salerno. But we didn´t try that (fortunately as it was pouring that day).

chrisbp,

Costa as pretty much shortened the stays in port over the last few years. You will find many "half day" stops and less frequented ports now.

steamboats

I've been looking at a few Costa cruises in the Med, and it seems as it costa cruises have shorter days in port. For example, Costa is in Athens from 7 am to 2pm, in Katakalon from 1:30 pm to 7 pm.

Most other cruises I've looked at they're in port a full day....usually from 8 or 9 am until 5 or 6 pm...

Has anybody else noticed this? Why shorter days? Still enough time in each? Any insight would be great.

Thanks.

In Europe I never compared Costa to other cruise lines as it is our favourite cruise company.

But Katakolon is understandable, because there is nothing else to do as joining a tour to ancient Olympia.

Question from my side, can you compare it if the others companies with similiar itinerarys have the same amount of ports in the same time ?

Maybe the cruise lines which stay in port the whole day will have not that many ports and more days at sea? (Just a guess)

As I cruise to see things I like to have as many ports as possible and if you join a board tour mostly you don't need more time in a port.

Edited by onyx007

I've never found that Costa's shorter time in port made any difference in how much I was able to accomplish. Katakolon, I'm back on the ship long before sailing. Someplace like Istanbul or Athens, you can't possibly see the city in one port stop, you'll have to budget your time regardless. Only an overnight stop made much difference, and there aren't many of those.

Some ports charge by the hour. I suspect also that leaving earlier, allows the ship to burn less fuel by traveling slower.

Member,

Check out the neoRiviera thread! Yes, we did the dinner in Barcelona and it was great. Small restaurant with only 5 tables for 2. Typical Catalan food (which was sort of "heavy") and excellent fine patisserie as dessert (amazing as the other dishes were more "homemade"). Wines were great too. The restaurant (Mam Y Teca) is run by a couple, he´s cooking, she´s serving. You can see photos here (scroll down to "Tag 4 - Barcelona"). The other restaurant offered was the "Allium". The other port for a local dinner was Salerno. But we didn´t try that (fortunately as it was pouring that day).

chrisbp,

Costa as pretty much shortened the stays in port over the last few years. You will find many "half day" stops and less frequented ports now.

steamboats

The Greek & Turkish ports we did last year were fine, pretty much full days in each one.

We did also did Far East during New Year and the shortest time was 1 pm to 7 pm in one port which isn't too bad as far as I'm concerned.