Is MSC getting more expensive?

Alex71

I've started looking at some prices for the second half of October and am not able to find any reduced prices at all. Is MSC getting more expesive or is it simply too early to hope for any specials?

Fall break for the kids is between October 18 and Nov 2.

I've started looking at some prices for the second half of October and am not able to find any reduced prices at all. Is MSC getting more expesive or is it simply too early to hope for any specials?

Usually rates tend to be a bit higher during peak travel weeks. When kids are out of school or on school vacations, i.e.: Christmas break, Spring break, etc. the rates will always be a little higher. We like to travel during off peak weeks, we tend to get much better rates that way, unfortunately, the kids can't always cruise with us though.

It doesn't seem like one should characterize a company as "more expensive" because they don't offer reduced rates as often, or for as long.

If their average regular fares start to inclince, then it's more expensive.

MSC is still one of the best buys in the biz.

Late October does not strike me as peak season though. The cheapest insides I can find start above 700 EUR pp / week, balcony cabins well above 1000 EUR pp / week. In the absence of specials, I may very well be able to use the cruise later voucher we picked up on our last cruise.

There were some really great sales earlier in the year, there were comments on the forum that people who hadn't sailed their first cruise were buying a second , third cruise, so the reason 'could be' there aren't that many cabins left to warrant the great prices earlier in the year! I don't know this, I'm guessing, but that's my guess anyway!:)

There has been a hike this year across the board in the UK, with daily rates for repos up, no longer zero solo supplements and not as many bargains around as there were last year. I wouldn't say it's hugely more expensive though. Have seen a few emails out on short term sales or offers on a few sailings.

Maybe they will reduce later if they are not getting close to capacity. Then again it could be that they don't need as many bods in berths to break even if the fare is up. who knows. There never seems to be a joined up coherent pricing policy globally, with different countries doing their own thing. Perhaps some of the European cruise fares are partially subsidising some of the real bargains on the Divina.

Edited by AmoMondo

There were some really great sales earlier in the year, there were comments on the forum that people who hadn't sailed their first cruise were buying a second , third cruise, so the reason 'could be' there aren't that many cabins left to warrant the great prices earlier in the year! I don't know this, I'm guessing, but that's my guess anyway!:)

Maybe they will reduce later if they are not getting close to capacity. Then again it could be that they don't need as many bods in berths to break even if the fare is up. who knows. There never seems to be a joined up coherent pricing policy globally, with different countries doing their own thing. Perhaps some of the European cruise fares are partially subsidising some of the real bargains on the Divina.

Sounds like a good explanation. Also, some of the American lines have pulled their ships from the European market, so MSC might to have more pricing power than last year. I'll keep my eyes open for price reductions as we get closer to October.

Sounds like a good explanation. Also, some of the American lines have pulled their ships from the European market, so MSC might to have more pricing power than last year. I'll keep my eyes open for price reductions as we get closer to October.

I regularly track MSC, Cunard and Royal Caribbean fares as well as look as the lowest cost per night fares over all lines. I would say there has been a significant hardening of fares across the cruise industry. One could easily suspect collusion. Perhaps higher fares are a result of emerging from recession or simply current demand exceeding supply. However, with MSC, significantly higher fares in the UK can be traced back to the arrival of Giles Hawke and his first day remark, "We are not going to compete on price".

I would have booked repo cruises for autumn and spring by now but instead have made alternative arrangements for both.

I have no desperate need to cruise. For now, I am priced out. There are some superb five star, ultra all-inclusive hotels available for less than the extra cost of Allegrissimo per night. I will wait for the market to start working again.

The lack of ships in Europe this year has also increased prices across the board including MSC although there does appear to be a lot of sales at the moment! maybe people are voting with their feet.

See you are still lurking on these blogs....I am always looking for deals also.....lots on the Alaska run this year out of Van or Seattle......as low as $299 for 7 days.....there seems to be too many ships doing this routine.....we are holding a repo....the Divina over to Europe next April.....almost the same cabin but one deck higher.....doing it for "old times sake" and Judy like the routing of the ship......Ken

Hi Ken .... I hope you guys are keeping well, a big issue here is with flights due to the massive amount that is added by our wonderful government in air passenger duty, this of course prohibits most people from doing cruise only to get the prices you mention.

$299 for 7 days is a great price, i doubt we could get anything close to that price for 7 days in the UK. another problem here is that the same price is charged by the cruise lines as the travel agents!

We have been looking at a number of routes and cruise lines and have even looked at doing two x 7 night cruises out of Genoa on 2 different ships with a rest day in between.

Two we have been looking at are the MSC Orchestra from Venice to Dubai in November and the P and O Azura from Southampton to Barbados which means no need for US Customs .... :D

As always changing holiday dates for Kerry has now become a nightmare.

What price is the Divina repo next year for you guys ?

Hi Ken .... I hope you guys are keeping well, a big issue here is with flights due to the massive amount that is added by our wonderful government in air passenger duty, this of course prohibits most people from doing cruise only to get the prices you mention.

$299 for 7 days is a great price, i doubt we could get anything close to that price for 7 days in the UK. another problem here is that the same price is charged by the cruise lines as the travel agents!

We have been looking at a number of routes and cruise lines and have even looked at doing two x 7 night cruises out of Genoa on 2 different ships with a rest day in between.

Two we have been looking at are the MSC Orchestra from Venice to Dubai in November and the P and O Azura from Southampton to Barbados which means no need for US Customs .... :D

We would totally agree with you!:)

The higher prices in the Med. plus the cost of air, vs the lower costs in the Caribbean because (we think) of so many available cabins in the Caribbean, have kept us from cruising the Med., which we will end up doing in the next years!

Perhaps some of these super sized new ships coming out in the next 5-6 years will find a home in the Med., and lower prices!:)

Cruises to the Baltics this year are, to put it mildly, cheap, cheaper and cheapest I have ever seen them. The strife in the Ukraine has kept many people from booking, not knowing if they will get to St Petersburg.

People booking now, for next year, are saying that the prices for that time are dramatically higher than normal. Sure, if they are giving them away this year, they have to make up for it next year. Only time will tell if next years prices will fall, or maybe even increase.

Cheers

Len

Here they are.....we have the balcony for less than the one shown as get the discount from MSC plus another one for being retired teachers....great for us.....so less than the $1899...thought that was not bad for the aft/stern balcony...less than $100 easy.....if you like insides those are really cheap.....want me to book you one...lol....ken

Brochure Inside $3,199

Our Inside $1,399

Brochure Oceanview $3,519

Our Oceanview $1,559

Brochure Balcony $4,199

Our Balcony $1,899

Brochure Suite $5,999

Our Suite $2,799

How does $249 sound for inside with a ship credit of $135......they seem to be really giving them away......and on all the lines......Norwegian, Celeb, Carnival, Princess, Hal and RCCL

7 nights departing June 7, 2014 on

Princess' Coral Princess

Brochure Inside $1,189

Our Inside $249

Brochure Oceanview $1,329

Our Oceanview $299

Brochure Balcony $2,979

Our Balcony $599

Brochure Suite $2,329

Our Suite $2,278

Book now and receive a FREE per cabin onboard credit of US$135 on select inside and oceanview categories or US$210 on select balcony and suite categories

ITINERARY

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Sat Jun 7 Anchorage (Whittier), AK 8:30pm

Sun Jun 8 Hubbard Glacier, AK (Cruising) 3:00pm 8:00pm

Mon Jun 9 Glacier Bay National Park, AK (Cruising) 7:30pm

Tue Jun 10 Skagway, AK 7:00am 8:30pm

Wed Jun 11 Juneau, AK 6:30am 4:00pm

Thu Jun 12 Ketchikan, AK 10:00am 6:00pm

Fri Jun 13 At Sea

Sat Jun 14 Vancouver, BC, Canada 7:30am

I am seeing more discounts. Almost every day my agent is sending me MSC cruise specials.

The last one was book by July 30 sail by Dec 31.

Check with your Travel Agent

Is that fleet wide or just for the Divina?

Seems the further out you go, the higher the prices are (not Divina). In the last 3-4 years I've typically paid £1100-1200 for 17-19 repositioning cruise (South Africa or South America - Europe). Looking at repo from Martinique in early 2016 or late 2015 and prices are coming in around £2000-2100. That is based on a balcony. Part of the hike is going from 0% to 50% solo supplement but that doesn't account for all the rise. Guess it could be partly hi. Economies recovering and MSC having increased their customer base, so they think the demand is sufficient to bear the prices. Certainly in the UK, the increases can be traced to Giles hawkers arrival.

Edited by AmoMondo

All the specials seem to be on the Divina at the moment, I just got this over night from MSC USA: "Two days left! Don't miss a chance to book a balcony from $299".

Prices for European departures are four times as high.

I think, I'm with Tim and will look at some alternatives for Otober. Over the summer, we are already doing it. I booked a very nice hotel with half board in the Alps. Food will be better and the price was much lower. After that we will tour some cities by car.

Let's hope MSC and others are watching the market and realizing that margins are much higher in Europe. If they respond by moving more ships here, increased supply will bring prices back down.

Edited by Alex71

"we have the balcony for less than the one shown as get the discount from MSC plus another one for being retired teachers"

Just goes to show how uneven the playing field is!

Ken ... Do the travel agents in Canada all have to sell cruises at the same prices as you can find on the cruise line website ?

Magnifica in September for 7 nights round trip from Southampton is the same price on the MSC site as it is on the six travel agent sites i use and it is not just MSC doing it.

Edited by sidari

Here they are.....we have the balcony for less than the one shown as get the discount from MSC plus another one for being retired teachers....great for us.....so less than the $1899...thought that was not bad for the aft/stern balcony...less than $100 easy.....if you like insides those are really cheap.....want me to book you one...lol....ken

Brochure Inside $3,199

Our Inside $1,399

Brochure Oceanview $3,519

Our Oceanview $1,559

Brochure Balcony $4,199

Our Balcony $1,899

Brochure Suite $5,999

Our Suite $2,799

These are very expensive prices for Transatlantics.

My recent Transatlantic on Independence of the Seas from Miami to Southampton was $950 solo for a balcony with the Diamond balcony discount. This was not a last minute price but booked months in advance with no solo supplement.

How does $249 sound for inside with a ship credit of $135......they seem to be really giving them away......and on all the lines......Norwegian, Celeb, Carnival, Princess, Hal and RCCL

Princess' Coral Princess

Brochure Inside $1,189

Our Inside $249

Our Oceanview $299

Brochure Balcony $2,979

Our Balcony $599

Brochure Suite $2,329

Our Suite $2,278

Book now and receive a FREE per cabin onboard credit of US$135 on select inside and oceanview categories or US$210 on select balcony and suite categories

ITINERARY

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Sat Jun 7 Anchorage (Whittier), AK 8:30pm

Sun Jun 8 Hubbard Glacier, AK (Cruising) 3:00pm 8:00pm

Mon Jun 9 Glacier Bay National Park, AK (Cruising) 7:30pm

Tue Jun 10 Skagway, AK 7:00am 8:30pm

Wed Jun 11 Juneau, AK 6:30am 4:00pm

Thu Jun 12 Ketchikan, AK 10:00am 6:00pm

Fri Jun 13 At Sea

Sat Jun 14 Vancouver, BC, Canada 7:30am

You hit it on the head with the one way itineraries from Alaska to Vancouver.

Add on the one way flight to Anchorage hotel and transfer (at least $900) and somehow not such a deal. Then 200% solo, or double the price, and again it is not a real bargain.

Now the sailings round trip Vancouver would be but not at the prices you quote.

Edited by maryann2

Here they are.....we have the balcony for less than the one shown as get the discount from MSC plus another one for being retired teachers

I am me - don't I deserve a discount?

I do.

Does your travel agent give you a discount for teachers? Or is it MSC?

I agree Tim. What about nurses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelownabccan View Post

Princess' Coral Princess

Brochure Inside $1,189

Our Inside $249

Our Oceanview $299

Brochure Balcony $2,979

Our Balcony $599

You hit it on the head with the one way itineraries from Alaska to Vancouver.

Add on the one way flight to Anchorage hotel and transfer (at least $900) and somehow not such a deal. Then 200% solo, or double the price, and again it is not a real bargain.

Now the sailings round trip Vancouver would be but not at the prices you quote.

About Kelownabccan's post, what if you did a B2B on the cruise mentioned, that might save some money! You'd leave and return to the same port, and RT flights are usually less then one ways!

inside $249 x 2weeks=$500 +$135. a week ship credit for 14 days, sounds like a 'good deal' if you want to see Alaska!:)

Edited by American Bear

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelownabccan View Post

But sadly not MSC in the UK.

I would take $249 with $135 obc anywhere, anytime. I don't pay for flights. Tell us more!