Compare Skagway Yukon Pass Train vs. Bus

Susie51

Has anyone done both? Which do you recommend an why?

Princess actually offers an excursion that does the train there and bus back and vice verse. I liked the train leg better because you got to see more IMO. The bus ride actually scared me a bit just because of the narrowness of the road and the bridges. Our driver was amazing though so it wasn't that. We even saw a Moose on the bus leg.

The first time we took the bus into the Yukon for lunch and returned on the train which was enjoyable to get two different perspectives. That's more expensive to do and the last time just took the Whites Pass train round trip to the border.

If my only options were to take the bus or the train round-trip to the border, I'd choose the train. But with either option you experience the same scenery on the trip back to Skagway and it's why taking the bus up and the train down would be the best option for me.

We think the White Pass Railway is not to be missed. It's a spectacular ride made more awesome by knowing how difficult it was to build, how long ago and how fast it was built.

We went all the way to Lake Bennet (bus up, bus and train back) to see where the gold rush

people had to wait out the winter. Definitely worth the ride.

We took a bus up and the train back but did it with a private company, not Princess. That way you can go all the way up to Emerald Lake which was spectacular. This is one of my all time favorite tours. The scenery is amazing. I would recommend a combination of bus and train whoever you go with because you see different scenery. Don't forget to take your passport with you because we had to show it before getting off the train since you're going into Canada.

Just returned from the May 24 Alaska trip aboard the Golden. We did the Princess excursion in Skagway that included panning for gold, the bus trip up into the Yukon (be sure you have your passport as customs comes aboard to check) and the train ride down, ending with lunch at the Skagway Inn. Really enjoyed it all. Had a great guide/driver on the bus who provided us with lots of information and "tidbits." The train ride down was awesome and as a previous poster stated, they give you lots of information as well. Not to be missed. Lunch was good at the Inn and we opted to stay in town and walk around. Weather was good but the walk back to the ship was longer than anticipated and VERY windy once we got near the pier.

We think the White Pass Railway is not to be missed. It's a spectacular ride made more awesome by knowing how difficult it was to build, how long ago and how fast it was built.

We took a bus up and the train back but did it with a private company, not Princess. That way you can go all the way up to Emerald Lake which was spectacular. This is one of my all time favorite tours. The scenery is amazing. I would recommend a combination of bus and train whoever you go with because you see different scenery. Don't forget to take your passport with you because we had to show it before getting off the train since you're going into Canada.

We did the train up and a 16 person passenger van back (including a stop at Emerald Lake) with Chilkoot Charters. As others have said the scenery is spectacular and the land as you get to the top of the pass is other worldly beautiful. Chilkoot had the last car on our train reserved - everyone could sit on the left side (much more scenic) going up and the observation deck out the back was perfect for taking fantastic pictures down the mountain. Alaska has a well deserved reputation as being a land of wonderful excursions - and this is definitely one of them!

A third possibility: renting a car in Skagway for the day. We drove a route that often paralleled the White Pass route, and while we lost the Historic Train aspect, we gained the ability to stop where we wanted for as long as we wanted and explore to our hearts' content. Cost a lot less, too.

My husband is used to driving in the Sierras, so the road was something of a breeze, and somewhere on line you can download (or at least used to be able to) a very good mile-by-mile guide to the drive.

We liked the drive so much we'll be doing it again in September.

We just returned from a cruise on the Coral and did a tour with Chilkoot Charters. We went up in a small bus with only 18 passengers. We stopped at Carcross for lunch which was nice. We drove down a bit to the train station and did the train coming back. It was a great train ride. We have rented a car twice in Skagway and driven the Yukon highway. I highly recommend the bus and train tour. It was not cheap but well worth the money. You can book online with Chilkoot. The bus also goes all the way up to Emerald Lake which is beautiful.

booked not thru HAL this excursion. waa amazing. had lunch at emerald lake. fantastic views and the train ride was great(old fashioned)had our pasport stamped at the store in the yukon, very cute.

I also highly recommend Chilkoot Charters over booking through the cruise line. The cost is slightly less, but the biggest benefit is the smaller group sizes. I have taken two different tours through Chilkoot, the Yukon trip that stops at Caribou Crossing, with the dog cart ride, and the Lake Bennett trip which is a longer train ride and lunch at Bennett Station. Personally, I preferred the Lake Bennett tour and would do it again someday.

I have also rented a car and driven to the Yukon ourselves. We are doing that again this year because we are travelling with 4 teens/young adults and it will be much cheaper than any of the excursions. It is a good option if you like to do your own thing, stop when and where you want, eat what you want, etc.

Just returned from the May 24 Alaska trip aboard the Golden. We did the Princess excursion in Skagway that included panning for gold, the bus trip up into the Yukon (be sure you have your passport as customs comes aboard to check) and the train ride down, ending with lunch at the Skagway Inn. Really enjoyed it all. Had a great guide/driver on the bus who provided us with lots of information and "tidbits." The train ride down was awesome and as a previous poster stated, they give you lots of information as well. Not to be missed. Lunch was good at the Inn and we opted to stay in town and walk around. Weather was good but the walk back to the ship was longer than anticipated and VERY windy once we got near the pier.

We did the same excursion back in 2007 on our 1st cruise to Alaska! Like you say, It was "Not to be Missed!" I got some of the most fantastic photos on the bus ride up and our driver also was very good & informative!

We also did Chilkoot. Train up (yes, sit on the left), nice bbq lunch and fun bus ride back. Our driver was great and we did a few stops. We also saw some great wildlife.

When he could, the driver would pull over and give us the opportunity to take pictures. When we spotted Mamma bear and her 3 cubs, it was great. The driver wouldn't let anyone off the bus tho.:D:D

Chilkoot is a class act. I think it was appx an 8 hour day and worth every penny..:)

We did the train/van excursion with Chilkoot Charters on our first trip to Alaska in 2008 and it was a wonderful trip. We are booked again with them this summer for train trip to Bennett Lake and van ride back to Skagway. Can't wait!!

We did the trip with Chilkoot tours. It was magnificent! We took a van ( small group of about 10 people) up into the Yukon then took the White Pass train back. A homemade lunch is provided. It was one of the best excursions.

sorry to jump in on your post! We've been looking at this tour as well but we have 2 children and traveling with 2 older family members (they are mobile but not liking to sit for long periods or get jostled around for many hours).

Has anyone taken with kids? Is it too long (I know, depends on children). My children are good travelers, but not sure if it is too much to get off the ship and then take an 8 hour tour.

What about for older people? Have you traveled with older family members? Does it get tiring for them?

If we take the shorter tour (3.5 hours) what do we miss? Do we still get to see a lot of great scenery?

Thanks!

sorry to jump in on your post! We've been looking at this tour as well but we have 2 children and traveling with 2 older family members (they are mobile but not liking to sit for long periods or get jostled around for many hours).

Has anyone taken with kids? Is it too long (I know, depends on children). My children are good travelers, but not sure if it is too much to get off the ship and then take an 8 hour tour.

What about for older people? Have you traveled with older family members? Does it get tiring for them?

If we take the shorter tour (3.5 hours) what do we miss? Do we still get to see a lot of great scenery?

Thanks!

You don't mention the ages of your children. There's a big difference between a 3 year old and a 12 year old when it comes to something like this. I think most young children would be bored with an all day tour. You will be confined to the train or bus for long periods of time, with other people who might not appreciate being stuck with bored, whiny children. Not saying that yours are like that, just giving you something to think about. With kids, you might be better off with a car rental so you can go at your own pace, stop and let them move around, etc.

Last year I did the Lake Bennett tour with my mom and aunt, who are both around 70. They enjoyed it very much. They did not get tired of sitting, nor did they find it "jostling". Of course, like children, "old" people can be different and like/dislike different things.

What do you miss if you take the 3.5 hour tour? The Yukon. The scenery changes as you get further up into the mountains. You miss lunch, which may or may not be a bad thing. Depending on which tour you are looking at, you will miss either Lake Bennett or Caribou Crossing. You miss Emerald Lake and Carcross. But you can see most of these on your own with a car rental... and save quite a bit of money.

Thank you. Kids are 7 and 10 and while they are good travelers, just trying to decide if it would be an interesting trip for them vs the length of time. I see that the train is 4 hours so we will have to consider that. How many stops do the train and bus make?

The olders like to travel and do it frequently so I'm not worried about them being bored, just about the level of comfort and ability to get up and stretch and walk around.

You don't mention the ages of your children. There's a big difference between a 3 year old and a 12 year old when it comes to something like this. I think most young children would be bored with an all day tour. You will be confined to the train or bus for long periods of time, with other people who might not appreciate being stuck with bored, whiny children. Not saying that yours are like that, just giving you something to think about. With kids, you might be better off with a car rental so you can go at your own pace, stop and let them move around, etc.

Last year I did the Lake Bennett tour with my mom and aunt, who are both around 70. They enjoyed it very much. They did not get tired of sitting, nor did they find it "jostling". Of course, like children, "old" people can be different and like/dislike different things.

What do you miss if you take the 3.5 hour tour? The Yukon. The scenery changes as you get further up into the mountains. You miss lunch, which may or may not be a bad thing. Depending on which tour you are looking at, you will miss either Lake Bennett or Caribou Crossing. You miss Emerald Lake and Carcross. But you can see most of these on your own with a car rental... and save quite a bit of money.