How do they tell if I bring wine or liquor in luggage

Wayfairers

This question has probably been answered but I can't find it. We are allowed one bottle of wine in our luggage coming in to a Carnival ship. If my liquor bottle is shaped like a wine bottle can security tell it is liquor?

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

This question has probably been answered but I can't find it. We are allowed one bottle of wine in our luggage coming in to a Carnival ship. If my liquor bottle is shaped like a wine bottle can security tell it is liquor?

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

You have to carry it on. If you put it in your checked luggage they may catch it on xray.

So if my alcohol is in a bottle shaped like a wine bottle it should pass the X-ray. I wouldn't think they would open everyone's carry on luggage to ensure the wine shaped bottle is really wine....or do they? I've never carried wine on.

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

So if my alcohol is in a bottle shaped like a wine bottle it should pass the X-ray. I wouldn't think they would open everyone's carry on luggage to ensure the wine shaped bottle is really wine....or do they? I've never carried wine on.

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

The wine needs to be carried on.

For liquor go ahead and purchase Rum Runner Flasks.

Don't try the water bottle trick. They shake the bottle. Vodka bubbles water doesn't.

Edited by Thefranchise699

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

If they see it they will open your carry on. They can tell the difference between wine and liquor. Some have reported success in carrying it on but most are caught.

If the bottle is unopened there is no problem. If it appears that the bottle has been tampered with, they will open to smell the contents. If that happens they will throw away the bottle. If you are determined to try to this, you are better off just putting an unopened bottle in your checked luggage, if it gets through great, if not they will give it back to you on the last night of cruise. At least this way, you don't lose the alcohol altogether.

If they see it they will open your carry on. They can tell the difference between wine and liquor. Some have reported success in carrying it on but most are caught.

Are you saying they open everyone's carry on when the X-ray shows a wine bottle then dig through the clothes to confirm it is wine? I didn't pay attention to this on my last cruise since I wasn't carrying any liquids on board.

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

Are you saying they open everyone's carry on when the X-ray shows a wine bottle then dig through the clothes to confirm it is wine? I didn't pay attention to this on my last cruise since I wasn't carrying any liquids on board.

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

Yes pretty much.

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

YMMV

get Rum Runner Flasks and your smuggling worries are over.

Yes, that happened to me in Miami.

In Miami, when my carry-on went through the screening, the operater yelled "BOTTLE IN HERE!" and they took my bag, my case of soda and my case of water and went through my bag and checked to make sure it was a wine bottle. They then pulled out a water bottle from my case and shook it (bubbles up if liquor) then they peeked in to my case of soda (I guess looking for cans of beer), found nothing, and sent me on my way.

YMMV

get Rum Runner Flasks and your smuggling worries are over.

What is YMMV?

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

You are not allowed any wine in your checked luggage, you are not allowed liquor at all.

Here is your specific answer, right from Carnival:

http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=beverage#q-545894

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage.

All alcohol/hard liquor/beer (sealed, unopened bottles/cans), wine/champagne over the allowable 1-bottle per guest (sealed, unopened bottles) or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages (over 12 per person, sealed, unopened bottles/cans) will be confiscated and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage.

Edited by irishnyc

What is YMMV?

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

Your mileage may vary. Meaning, it all depends on the employee. I've walked in with bottles of vodka as water bottles and friends in the different line using same tactic got theirs taken away. There's no way of predicting it.

Done

00' Carnival Triumph

03' Carnival Glory

04' Carnival Triumph

05' Carnival Valor

05' Carnival Fascination

06' Carnival Valor

06' Carnival Fascination

10' Carnival Destiny

12' Carnival Destiny

13' Carnival Breeze (NYE)

14' Carnival Freedom (6/9)

Thanks everyone for the helpful information! I will take the allowed wine bottle per person and just buy my liquor as usual. I thought since I do have a liquor bottle shaped just like a wine bottle it might be worth a try.

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

Your mileage may vary. Meaning, it all depends on the employee. I've walked in with bottles of vodka as water bottles and friends in the different line using same tactic got theirs taken away. There's no way of predicting it.

Done

00' Carnival Triumph

03' Carnival Glory

04' Carnival Triumph

05' Carnival Valor

05' Carnival Fascination

06' Carnival Valor

06' Carnival Fascination

10' Carnival Destiny

12' Carnival Destiny

13' Carnival Breeze (NYE)

14' Carnival Freedom (6/9)

Thanks!

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

I think few are caught. I have no proof but where is your proof!

[ QUOTE=WindsorFred;42982758]BF's have been caught twice in the last 3 years. Once in Ft. Lauderdale and again in Long Beach.

When he was caught did he get the liquor on the last night as promised? About what time?

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

[ QUOTE=WindsorFred;42982758]BF's have been caught twice in the last 3 years. Once in Ft. Lauderdale and again in Long Beach.

When he was caught did he get the liquor on the last night as promised? About what time?

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

If bottle is unopened they'll give it back after dinner last night if my memory serves me right. If opened, kiss that bottle goodbye.

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

First time it was in an opened bottle, they dumped it. Last time it was unopened, he had to pick it up the morning we disembarked. Liquor purchased onboard or in the ports are delivered the final night. Anything smuggled you have to retrieve yourself the final morning prior to leaving the ship.

Edited by WindsorFred

Hahaha!!! Need to get DH one of those for his next birthday! He makes his own beer and this is perfect for that beer!

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

I read somewhere that the scanners in use now detect liquids, not the metal caps. If that is true, I don't think the all plastic rum runners would be undetectable since they are filled with liquid. Hmmmmm....

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph