How do they tell if I bring wine or liquor in luggage

Wayfairers

I read somewhere that the scanners in use now detect liquids, not the metal caps. If that is true, I don't think the all plastic rum runners would be undetectable since they are filled with liquid. Hmmmmm....

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

My buddy went on the Breeze 2 weeks ago and used my 2 32 oz rum runners. Worked like a glove.

Edited by Thefranchise699

Stories like that make me think that detecting liquids instead of metal is a bad rumor.

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

They xray your checked bags and your carry on's so the shape of a wine bottle would stand out. Sometimes rum runners can be put in shoes and go undetected.

Please let me dispell a myth. Rum runners do NOT HIDE the alcohol. If carnival uses mordern xrays, and I would gather that they do. Different materials show up as colors. For example: metal would show up as blue, plastic as green and organic material such as food, water, and alcohol would show up as orange. These are just examples, I don't know what carnivals machines show or even if they have these types. What gives rum runners away is the shape of the bottle and the fact that it has a spout. The spout would stick out like a sore thumb. Those of us, including me who have used them, are probably just subject to a random bag check. Say the number of the day is 11. So every 11th bag is scanned. This is just speculation on my part. I have been in security for many years. Just take my word on this. So please don't be fooled into thinking that these rum runners are some amazing product that renderings items invisible. I tried it, just because I was being a cheapskate, and got by twice. Never caught, but since the kids are going this time, I am not going to risk being embarrassed in front of them.

So if my alcohol is in a bottle shaped like a wine bottle it should pass the X-ray. I wouldn't think they would open everyone's carry on luggage to ensure the wine shaped bottle is really wine....or do they? I've never carried wine on.

Yes they are actually supposed to check every bottle. But they don't always do so. I've noticed if there's only one bottle for one passenger in the carry on they pretty much just wave you past. Even when I had two bottles in my carry on because I was going on a back to back cruise they looked at my documents showing that I had two boarding passes but did not open my luggage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Please let me dispell a myth. Rum runners do NOT HIDE the alcohol. If carnival uses mordern xrays, and I would gather that they do. Different materials show up as colors. For example: metal would show up as blue, plastic as green and organic material such as food, water, and alcohol would show up as orange. These are just examples, I don't know what carnivals machines show or even if they have these types. What gives rum runners away is the shape of the bottle and the fact that it has a spout. The spout would stick out like a sore thumb. Those of us, including me who have used them, are probably just subject to a random bag check. Say the number of the day is 11. So every 11th bag is scanned. This is just speculation on my part. I have been in security for many years. Just take my word on this. So please don't be fooled into thinking that these rum runners are some amazing product that renderings items invisible. I tried it, just because I was being a cheapskate, and got by twice. Never caught, but since the kids are going this time, I am not going to risk being embarrassed in front of them.

But all liquids show up the same on xray weather they are shampoo, cream rinse, or Maalox or are bourbon, vodka or gin.

But all liquids show up the same on xray weather they are shampoo, cream rinse, or Maalox or are bourbon, vodka or gin.

I am aware of this. Been doing this for years. I am telling people not to get fooled by the rum runners.

Really? Are you sure? Where do you get your information?

My understanding is the X-ray assigns color by DENSITY, not solid/liquid as you claim. Less dense fluids (e.g. alcohol) would have a different color than a heavier liquid (e.g. non-diet (sugar based) soda)).

Really? Are you sure? Where do you get your information?

My understanding is the X-ray assigns color by DENSITY, not solid/liquid as you claim. Less dense fluids (e.g. alcohol) would have a different color than a heavier liquid (e.g. non-diet (sugar based) soda)).

If x rays were that discriminating we wouldn't need MRIs. While there might be a slight difference with different densities you've got to remember that there's tons of luggage such as shoes and other bottles and all of this surrounding anything you put in your luggage.

I had one of my suitcases searched and it did not show up till much later in the night. I thought sure it was lost. there was a note in it saying it had been searched. I did have a six pack of drinks in the plastic bottles. I guess they did show up on xray. all plastic.... It said they had searched my bag...

I always put a box of wine in my checked luggage, and have NEVER had a problem.

I just stick it in the middle of all of the clothes.:D:D

Hope I am not jinxing myself.....One of these days that sucker is going to bust open and my clothes will all be pink/red:eek::eek:

I always put a box of wine in my checked luggage, and have NEVER had a problem.

I just stick it in the middle of all of the clothes.:D:D

Hope I am not jinxing myself.....One of these days that sucker is going to bust open and my clothes will all be pink/red:eek::eek:

Worst nightmare right there.

Buddy of mine years ago packed a bottle of rum in his luggage. When the luggage arrived it reeked of rum. Bottle broke.

Happened to a friend of mine with Kahlua. Entire suitcase reeked of it and some of her clothes were ruined.

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

Edited by Wayfairers

SOrry, But I envision someone sitting in their cabin furvently chugging that bottle of whiskey!!!!!

There are NO EXPERTS here....Carnival says no.....so if you get caught, you cannot use CC told me I would get away with it.

PS..Several ships do nto deliver it on the last night, you get to go down, stand in line and retrive it.....waste of your last night on the ship.

What about carrying alcohol back in from port?

I read on another post that people just walk past the table to check it in and take it right back to their room.

Has anyone done this?

I read on another post that people just walk past the table to check it in and take it right back to their room.

Has anyone done this?

I did this. I did not plan it. I was on Dream and I bought a bottle of Myers in the first port. I forget which port. Anyhow I also bought a half pint bottle and put that in my cargo shorts. I only planned on getting the half pint on. I was not sure what would happen with my backpack and the bottle.

So my pack goes through the scanner and the security guy says, "You have to turn the liquor in over there." He points to the table that was quite a few feet away. I just said okay. When I got toward the liquor table I realized that there was no communication between the guy at the table and the guy that told me to bring it to him. I just decided to walk right past him. No one said a word.

I used rum runners on my last cruise. I had 1.75 liters of Sailor Jerry in a 3 different flasks. All were placed at the corners of my luggage and I got it all no problem. Same with our friends.

But I would hazard to guess that they can see them if the scan them. I agree with the previous poster that said they probably only scan a select number of bags.

Are you saying they open everyone's carry on when the X-ray shows a wine bottle then dig through the clothes to confirm it is wine? I didn't pay attention to this on my last cruise since I wasn't carrying any liquids on board.

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

Yes, that is what they will do.

Has anyone done this?

Did this too, but they can and have checked water bottles. It's just a gamble.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This question has probably been answered but I can't find it. We are allowed one bottle of wine in our luggage coming in to a Carnival ship. If my liquor bottle is shaped like a wine bottle can security tell it is liquor?

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

You are allowed 1 bottle of wine in your carry on.

I have brought on Skinny Girl Margarita's in the bottle with no problem's as it is the same shape as a wine bottle, it looked like a bottle of white wine.

I really don't think they are going to take the time to check the label. In my experiences, they haven't taken the bottles out to look at them.

I have had 100% success rate with rum runners on all of my cruises.

If in fact your liquor bottle is the same shape as a wine bottle, you will probably be fine. All you can do is either try it and risk them taking it or I would suggest purchasing rum runner's which are cheap/reusable and putting your booze in your checked luggage.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise! :)

Edited by tonit964

Well take it for what it's worth,but twenty five plus cruises and never had a problem until last year. Fantasy,out of Charleston,had two travel size gins and a rumrunner in my carry on. Pulled to the side,both travel bottles taken and not returned. Rumrunner never seen... wife had two single serve wine BOXES in her carry on were checked and returned at that time. I new it was gonna be hairy when four people in front of us in check-in were also pulled aside and luggage opened and checked(two were 80 plus). Also coming back onboard from Nassau folks in front of us were actually patted down for booze. Just a little ridiculous,imho.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Forums mobile app