Volendam

Hi,

We are considering a cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong on Volendam early next year.

Any opinions of the ship would be appreciated and advice as to gratuities,food, service, facilities etc would be greatly appreciated.

Col:)

Just my honest opinion Col but I think Holland America have really dropped the ball, first cruise on Volandam great but last two cruises with them left us saying we wont cruise with them again but thats just us, we are early sixties and felt young, luke warm food, but like any cruise its what you make of it:D

Jacquie

I have cruised on the Volendam three times and have enjoyed every cruise. I believe that the Indonesian cabin stewards and waiters trained in the HAL shore academy are the best. Also the ship is a good size and has lovely art work - easy to get about unlike the larger Vista class. HAL charge US$11 per night for tips which is taken off your credit card. You can give extra if a crew member performs a special service for you. I have just completed a 36 day cruise from Southampton to Singapore in the Rotterdam a sister ship and the cruise was excellent with good food.

We were on Volendam for 14 days in the southwest Pacific two years ago. We enjoyed the smaller ship (compared to most of the Princess ships that we usually frequent). Food, entertainment and service were fine. Our fellow-passengers were mostly congenial, and not all as "mature" as often surmised for HAL. Our only real complaint concerned frequent and obtrusive smoking on nearby balconies (allowed by HAL :( ) and elsewhere.

John

Edited by J-D

We are looking forward to another cruise on the Volendam later this year.

Each day of the cruise Holland America Line place a Hotel Service Charge (tips) on your shipboard account.

As stated by kiwijohn, you may tip extra cash or increase the daily amount of the HSC.