Proof of military service...original doc?

Photo copy will do, but so far they have never asked to see anything. If you are active duty or retired your ID card will do.

If I am taking the military discount, I used to always bring the original DD214. I had been told that a copy had to be 'certified'. Since I was not sure what 'certified' meant, I just carried the original. Just recently though I found that I could take the original to the county records dept and they would make a copy and certify it.

So now the original stays in the safe deposit box and I take the 'certified' copy that I have. I have it with me, but have never been asked for it 'yet'...

Photo copy will do, but so far they have never asked to see anything. If you are active duty or retired your ID card will do.

I have never been asked, but have been told an official copy is required if they do ask. For this reason, when this topic comes up, I try to post this link to the national archives site where you can get official copies free and fairly quickly. I carry one with me just because I can.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

I have never been asked, but have been told an official copy is required if they do ask. For this reason, when this topic comes up, I try to post this link to the national archives site where you can get official copies free and fairly quickly. I carry one with me just because I can.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

Thank you so much for posting this link!

The copies I have in my cruise folder were obviously made from an original, but I honestly don't remember if I copied from a copy or an original. The ones I have were made for a cruise we took a few years ago on Carnival, and I don't think I ever used them.

Heading to the safe deposit box this morning because this is bugging me. I'm sure it's got to be there, but if it isn't at least I know I can at least get a certified copy.

I carry a copy off dd-214 & also discharge and have never had to show it. One time the check in attendant said the discount given is up to Royal and she doesn't know anything about it and doesn't need any documentation to check in

I am retired Air Force so I have a retired ID Card in my wallet all the time anyway. My last cruise on Freedom was the 1st time I had a military discount but they did not ask for anything at check-in.

Edited by bigque

I need to put copy in my wallet, went for a tour of the Intrepid in NYC and didn't have prof that I served , but at least I got my senior discount.

That reminds me that I was able to get a discount at Battleship Cove in Fall River because I had my documentation with me. The guy I was with [also a Vet] didn't have his but they gave him the senior discount. The bad [insulting] news was that the attendant said she didn't need any documentation to show we were eligible for the senior discount -- never been more insulted. I don't think I look a day over 54 and 1/2.

Thank you so much for posting this link!

The copies I have in my cruise folder were obviously made from an original, but I honestly don't remember if I copied from a copy or an original. The ones I have were made for a cruise we took a few years ago on Carnival, and I don't think I ever used them.

Heading to the safe deposit box this morning because this is bugging me. I'm sure it's got to be there, but if it isn't at least I know I can at least get a certified copy.

You are welcome -- I try to post it from time to time when this issue comes up. I have my "original" [which is really just a carbon copy] but when I found this site I ordered copies. They send two. When I got mine a few years ago, they had raised seals -- my original doesn't even have that. The site says allow up to 6 weeks. I think I got mine within a month. It is not an emergency service, but it is free. I think there are private for pay services that will walk it through and get it immediately but I don't think it is worth it. Anyway -- for vets worried about losing their "original," this is some insurance.

The next time you renew your DL, you can have a Veteran designation put on it.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/vetServices.htm

But you have to go in person & wait at DMV office!!!

No Thanks!!!

Carnival already has my DD214 on file.

Never got military discount on RCCL yet...it has always costs more than other discounts...

But you have to go in person & wait at DMV office!!!

No Thanks!!!

Carnival already has my DD214 on file.

Never got military discount on RCCL yet...it has always costs more than other discounts...

I just recently learned that Virginia also issues a Veteran card also. I may get one. Both legs of my B2B next year have a military discount.

I just recently learned that Virginia also issues a Veteran card also. I may get one. Both legs of my B2B next year have a military discount.

Notwithstanding that I have only gotten a military discount a couple of times and have not yet been asked for proof of service, my concern about these State issued IDs is that they are not on the list of acceptable documents published by RCI. I have a continual fear of running into the overly assertive agent at the pier who insists on exactly what is on the list. I have a similar problem in that my ID as a "gray area" retired reservist is not on the list. To make sure I get the discount I carry my DD214 from my 4 years of active duty even though I have 20+ years of active reserve service after that. You want something from the list? Here's something from the list.