Port or Starboard cabin-Scandanavia & the Norwegian Fiords

Hi, Am looking at the 14 Night Scandanavia & Russia cruise on the 8th August Next year and then the 8 night Norwegian Fiords cruise on the 22nd august 2015.

Both on Celebrity eclipse.

Could anyone recommend whether starboard or port side would be better for viewing from the cabin.

Thanks in advance,

Carol

When I booked a 14 night Scandinavia/ Russia cruise - I asked the same question. I was told that it doesn't mater either way as if you look at the itinerary map it does a sort of loop so what you don't see going one way - you get to see going back.

Edited by lydnsyd

As others say there's not much in it. It depends on the stops you are making, but on balance I'd go starboard.

Places like Flam are very pretty and the ship tends to dock nose first, starboard side. They usually dock stern first in Stavanger so you get to see a bit more of the town from starboard. Bergen - it doesn't matter. Ditto for Tromso. Alesund - port side is usually better. Gerainger - it depends which direction the ship points in the fjords and whether it swings around on anchor. Olden usually moors on the port side but the only thing to see is a couple of shops, a post office and some very pretty houses which you'll see anyway if you get off ship. If you're going all the way around to North Cape for the midnight sun then you'll see a (probably misty) bit of rock from the port side on the return journey, so long as you stay away long enough.

Enjoy Norway, it's my absolute favourite cruise destination.

We had a balcony on our Fjord cruise last year but we found it best in the Constellation lounge...front row if possible..."gliding" down the fjord we had wonderful all round views and sitting in comfort... what more could you want!

Thanks for the advice. Am expecting to be on deck for a lot of the cruise On arrival into Kotor,Montenegro a few years back the scenery along the 17 mile waterway through the mountains was amazing. I loved sitting on the balcony watching tiny townships light up in readiness for the day. Can't wait for Norway!

Thanks again,

Carol

My reply would be to book a SV balcony at the aft - which is what we do.

You get the best of both worlds :-)

Lou

Thanks for your advice,

Sunset Balcony aft ,deck 6 7 or 8 only ?? (for these cabins?) , Only have a deck plan from a Brochure.

As I am looking at the deck plan, (from a tiny brochure) Can you still sit on these balconys without passengers viewing you from above cabinss and others (e.g. sunset bar).

And is there shade from the sun? late afternoon that is! And are these rooms quiet? (I love to read /enjoy quiet time gazing at the sea!)

I am having issues trying to book /enquire on Celebritys website. (I use internet explorer) - Looking at other comments this may be a problem) accessing CCL sites?

Thanks

Carol

Thanks for your advice,

Sunset Balcony aft ,deck 6 7 or 8 only ?? (for these cabins?) , Only have a deck plan from a Brochure.

As I am looking at the deck plan, (from a tiny brochure) Can you still sit on these balconys without passengers viewing you from above cabinss and others (e.g. sunset bar).

And is there shade from the sun? late afternoon that is! And are these rooms quiet? (I love to read /enjoy quiet time gazing at the sea!)

I am having issues trying to book /enquire on Celebritys website. (I use internet explorer) - Looking at other comments this may be a problem) accessing CCL sites?

Thanks

Carol

Our favourite cabin on Eclipse is 6312, as it has a larger balcony. We choose deck 6 as although you can see down the back of the ship from the oceanview and sunset bars, deck 6 have a bit of privacy, as you can only see half of the balcony from above. Shade will depend on where the sun is, as there is no actual shade from above on deck 6. Rooms are very quiet, as the only footfall you have are people who are staying at the aft of the ship. Gazing out to see makes the looooong walk from the mid elevators worthwhile :) Below you is the Tuscan Grill, so no noise at night either. You do look out over the dark blue roof of the restaurant, but that didnt detract from our view, and didn't bother us in the least.

I've some photos from our cruise last month, if I can dig them out later I'll put them on for you.

Lou