Can I leave early?

I am really keen to Visit Hawaii

I have seen a cruise which starts in Honolulu and finishes with 4 days at sea in Canada

Can I get off at the final stop in Hawaii?

I really just want to Island Hop but don't fancy NCL's Pride of America

Or is there another option I am missing

Your other option would be to arrive a few days early and visit the other islands then. By law, the ship (and you) must visit a foreign port (Canada in this case) or be subject to a fine (payable by you). While they can't hold you hostage on the ship, they can make you pay.

Very good question!! I am interested to visit Hawai by cruiseship, but I don't want to have 5 cruisedays in a row. I also don't like the NCL "hotel"cruise concept.

Your other option would be to arrive a few days early and visit the other islands then. By law, the ship (and you) must visit a foreign port (Canada in this case) or be subject to a fine (payable by you). While they can't hold you hostage on the ship, they can make you pay.

I sort of picked that up from other posts :(

So is there ONLY the Pride of America option then ?

If you start a cruise in Canada, you can get off in Hawaii without any problem. Then fly from island to island to see whatever you want to see. You COULD NOT do the same from a US port.

No Cruise line, regardless of how small or unknown, can transport you between two US ports without stopping in a distant foreign port (Canada, Mexico, or there is a tiny island far from Hawaii). The Pride of America is the only ship doing this because they are US flagged, meaning they have to meet all US laws, including minimum wage, overtime, etc. Very expensive, which is why sane cruise line owners would never flag US.

Really want to see Hawaii? Fly there and spend a few days on each island. Inter island flights are fairly cheap as are car rentals. You will have more time to experience the islands this way. With cruising, you are only in a port for 8 or 9 hours. By the time you get off and get back early enough to not worry about missing the ship, you only have say 7 hours to explore. Can't see or do much in that time.

...No Cruise line, regardless of how small or unknown, can transport you between two US ports without stopping in a distant foreign port (Canada, Mexico, or there is a tiny island far from Hawaii). The Pride of America is the only ship doing this because they are US flagged, meaning they have to meet all US laws, including minimum wage, overtime, etc. Very expensive, which is why sane cruise line owners would never flag US...
Several comments. Neither Canada nor Mexico are distant foreign ports. Under US PVSA closest distant foreign ports are the Dutch ABC, South America and Tabuaeran (aka Fanning Island).

While NCL-A is the only US flagged company operating a cruise ship, there are a number of small ship companies operating under the US flag (American Queen, American Cruise Line, etc).

I don't think there are any small cruise lines operating within Hawaii, but I there are plenty of yachts available for crewed or bare boat charter within Hawaii.

Thom

Several comments. Neither Canada nor Mexico are distant foreign ports. Under US PVSA closest distant foreign ports are the Dutch ABC, South America and Tabuaeran (aka Fanning Island).

While NCL-A is the only US flagged company operating a cruise ship, there are a number of small ship companies operating under the US flag (American Queen, American Cruise Line, etc).

I don't think there are any small cruise lines operating within Hawaii, but I there are plenty of yachts available for crewed or bare boat charter within Hawaii.

Thom

Your first statement is correct.

But they can transport you to/from a U.S. port to/from a Canadian (or Mexican port).

In other words, the cruise can start in Hawaii and end in Canada without visiting a "distant foreign port.".

:)

Also: Previously, American Classic Voyages held the exclusive rights to inter-island cruises in the Hawaiian Islands, but the company went bankrupt in 2001.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_7290990_hawaiian-inter_island-cruises.html#ixzz33urM9PAp

Edited by Merion_Mom

...But they can transport you to/from a U.S. port to/from a Canadian (or Mexican port).

In other words, the cruise can start in Hawaii and end in Canada without visiting a "distant foreign port.".

No disagreement. US PVSA applies only to cruises that both originate and end in the US. But there were several comments about not wishing to do the sea days from Hawaii to anywhere on mainland North America.

BTW there are a few obscure provisions that do allow Canadian flagged ships to provide limited inter-port transport in the Great Lakes and (I think) in Alaska where no US company is willing to provide service. Much like the provision that allows foreign flagged ship to provide passenger service from CONUS to Puerto Rico without going to a distant foreign port, as long as no US flagged vessel is providing that service (which is why they can do repositionings to/from PR without touching the ABCs or South America).

Thom

You would have to pay whatever the fine is. I'm not sure if this would show up as some kind of legal record or not. It may put you on the cruise line's "naughty" list, and you may have problems cruising with them again.

As long as we keep electing the same politicians, we're not going to get this outdated act changed.

If you are keen to see Hawaii and are not keen to sail POA, do a land vacation in Hawaii. You can easily fly between islands is you wish to see more than one. i have done it and enjoyed it both ways, but I think you are apt to get more of a Hawaiiian experience staying on land than on a ship.

If you are keen to see Hawaii and are not keen to sail POA, do a land vacation in Hawaii. You can easily fly between islands is you wish to see more than one. i have done it and enjoyed it both ways, but I think you are apt to get more of a Hawaiiian experience staying on land than on a ship.
Having stayed on six different islands in Hawaii (I think the only six that offer public accommodation) and having sailed on NCL-A (the Pride of Aloha shortly before it ceased service, an incredably cheap deal at the end of the a land vacation) I second Starry Eyes advice.

Thom

Agreed, but don't try and fit visiting every island into a week like many do, you'll just be tired and frustrated ! Island hopping is a pain (and not exactly cheap any more), the there's TSA who will likely dislike some of your souvenirs . . . . . . we used to make "do" lists but found that they went by the wayside once we arrived :)

If you do want ships, there are small ship tours, example http://www.un-cruise.com/hawaiian-islands-cruises

Edited by pspercy

I too would recommend a land based vacation. You can see two or three islands in a week. The inter-island flights are very reasonably priced and with a little research you can find reasonably priced hotels and cars as well.

A few years ago, I had enough ff miles to get me to Honolulu so I flew there and stayed one night. Then I had booked a flight to Kauai for the next morning for under $100. I stayed at a decent hotel on Kauai for $99 per night for four nights (I don't need luxury accommodations, just clean and convenient) and rented a car. I pretty much saw the entire island of Kauai, did a helicopter tour, went scuba diving, hung out on the beach, and just generally had a great time. I wouldn't have been able to see nearly enough on Kauai with a one day or even overnight stop. I saw the Pride of America in port when I was there, the port was right near my hotel.

Is there any other option, f.i. a less well known 'cruiseline' to explore the Hawaiian archipel?

Note that the "uncruise" line mentioned by the previous poster is a recent rebranding of a different adventure small cruise line. It's pricy, as small ships are wont to be, but I haven't seen *any* reviews other than the glowing testimonials they publish on their site.

Thanks guys helpful as usual

one final question

Why do the USA have this law requiring them to visit at least one foreign port?

Most countries have laws restricting cabotage (transporting goods or people between two points within a country) to their own citizens or corporations. This prohibits say British Air from carrying passengers from NY to LA (unless they are through passengers originating on that carrier outside the US). It also prohibits RCI (not flagged in the US) from carrying passengers from say Miami to Charleston to NY and back to Miami (this is closed loop, but without any foreign port, near or distant). The idea is to protect and encourage US carriers (but obviously not being very effective at developing US passenger ships). If a US carrier wished to go NY to Canada and return, we pretty much have to allow the Canadians to do the reverse. This policy evolved to allow anyone to do such routes, hence the law to visit any foreign port on closed loop (starting and ending in the same port) cruises. To prevent significant traffic from say NY via Bermuda to FL (which might siphon off considerable numbers of "snowbirds" from US airlines), repositioning cruises (eg NY - FL) are required to go to a distant foreign port (in this case South America or the Dutch ABCs). Basically these laws have evolved over the centuries to protect and encourage local shippers, but often with unintended consequences. BTW passenger traffic comes under the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA of 1888) and goods traffic under the Maritime Act (aka Jones Act) of 1920, but the same principles are involved. Note that all of this deals with shipping that begins and ends within the same country; shipping from one country to another (eg Hawaii, US to Canada) is NOT subject to these rules. It is actually more complicated than I have described (and I don't know all of the many details), but that's the general idea. I am NOT a Maritime Lawyer, so don't use this as legal advice:p.

Thom

Most countries have laws restricting cabotage (transporting goods or people between two points within a country) to their own citizens or corporations. This prohibits say British Air from carrying passengers from NY to LA (unless they are through passengers originating on that carrier outside the US). It also prohibits RCI (not flagged in the US) from carrying passengers from say Miami to Charleston to NY and back to Miami (this is closed loop, but without any foreign port, near or distant). The idea is to protect and encourage US carriers (but obviously not being very effective at developing US passenger ships). If a US carrier wished to go NY to Canada and return, we pretty much have to allow the Canadians to do the reverse. This policy evolved to allow anyone to do such routes, hence the law to visit any foreign port on closed loop (starting and ending in the same port) cruises. To prevent significant traffic from say NY via Bermuda to FL (which might siphon off considerable numbers of "snowbirds" from US airlines), repositioning cruises (eg NY - FL) are required to go to a distant foreign port (in this case South America or the Dutch ABCs). Basically these laws have evolved over the centuries to protect and encourage local shippers, but often with unintended consequences. BTW passenger traffic comes under the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA of 1888) and goods traffic under the Maritime Act (aka Jones Act) of 1920, but the same principles are involved. Note that all of this deals with shipping that begins and ends within the same country; shipping from one country to another (eg Hawaii, US to Canada) is NOT subject to these rules. It is actually more complicated than I have described (and I don't know all of the many details), but that's the general idea. I am NOT a Maritime Lawyer, so don't use this as legal advice:p.

Thom

Thanks Thom I understand it now

I'm now thinking of going on a land vacation to Hawaii. Thank you all for the good advice!

It's a beautiful state! Highly recommended vacation spot.

Our favourite vacation is when we sailed the Pride of Aloha (NLCA) for a week, and then stayed for 10 days on Oahu. The ships actually stay overnight at 2 of the ports - so you get more time than just the 6-8 hours.

Best vacation ever (until I can swing splurging on airfare to Tonga/Fiji/Samoa/Bora Bora)