Norwegian dining

bleacher

Going to Hawaii in September and know its free styling for dinner. Still wonder if you can wear shorts with nice shirt in main dining room. Any answers would be appreciated. Thank you.

You may find this thread, posted today as well, of interest:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2052408

Enjoy cruise. ( also ignore reference to ship, dress code is the same)

Also

http://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

Edited by All-ready2cruise

Going to Hawaii in September and know its free styling for dinner. Still wonder if you can wear shorts with nice shirt in main dining room. Any answers would be appreciated. Thank you.

Would you really want to wear a pair of shorts in any dining room for dinner?

Normally yes, in one dining room.. and do remember there is a strict dress code for Le Bistro.

Would you really want to wear a pair of shorts in any dining room for dinner?

I might, especially in Hawaii where you overnight in ports and may be ashore for extended hours. If I return to the ship late and don't feel like changing, why would I not wear shorts to the dining rooms where it is allowed?

If you are not comfortable with being seated with those who wear shorts, perhaps you would do well to dine in Le Bistro or the aft MDR. Or, maybe just choose another cruise line.

I might, especially in Hawaii where you overnight in ports and may be ashore for extended hours. If I return to the ship late and don't feel like changing, why would I not wear shorts to the dining rooms where it is allowed?

If you are not comfortable with being seated with those who wear shorts, perhaps you would do well to dine in Le Bistro or the aft MDR. Or, maybe just choose another cruise line.

Must be a culture thing. I find it quite amazing that anybody these days would actually turn up to a restaurant for dinner wearing shorts be it on a ship or on land. Your suggestion to change from Norwegian Cruise Line is rather insulting.

Edited by Ewoodspark

Hi, we have been on NCL the last 3 cruises. You can't wear shorts into the main dinning rooms but you can wear nice blue jeans & shirts ( no tees ) usually a button down shirt or polo style. As for the ladies you can wear sun dresses or slacks with nice top, sandals or shoe ( not flip flops ) etc. I usually wear nice dress pants & pretty top and my husband usually wears dress jeans and a Hawaiian style shirt or polo style shirt. Hopes this answers your question. We love going to the main dinning rooms because they are so elegant and we love being waited on for a change.

Happy cruising,

Katherine

Edited by Scratch12

Must be a culture thing. I find it quite amazing that anybody these days would actually turn up to a restaurant wearing shorts be it on a ship or on land. Your suggestion to change from Norwegian Cruise Line is rather insulting.

We usually do dress a little nicer than shorts in the evenings when cruising. I even wear the occasional coctail dress. But the meaning of Freestyle Cruising is well publicized. You are free to dress up as little or as much as you like, within the guidelines that are set out in the dress code. There are two Dining rooms where shorts cannot be worn, the large aft MDR and Le Bistro. You are free to wear them in the smaller MDRs and free venues and the other specialty restaurants.

When I cruise, or for that matter vacation on land, I normally don't like to dress up much beyond what we would wear in our everyday lives at home when going out for dinner. My opinion only, but that just seems pretentious to me. Aren't we beyond looking down our noses like the Dowager Countess of Grantham? If you are not comfortable being around low class people in shorts, you are free to choose a cruise line which caters to those with similar thoughts.

Edited by punkincc

Hi, we have been on NCL the last 3 cruises. You can't wear shorts into the main dinning rooms

It's only one dining room that you can't wear shorts to. People who are turned away from that dining room are directed to the other one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, we have been on NCL the last 3 cruises. You can't wear shorts into the main dinning rooms but you can wear nice blue jeans & shirts ( no tees ) usually a button down shirt or polo style. As for the ladies you can wear sun dresses or slacks with nice top, sandals or shoe ( not flip flops ) etc. I usually wear nice dress pants & pretty top and my husband usually wears dress jeans and a Hawaiian style shirt or polo style shirt. Hopes this answers your question. We love going to the main dinning rooms because they are so elegant and we love being waited on for a change.

Happy cruising,

Wrong. You can wear just about any jeans and any T-shirt to the more formal MDR as well as Le Bistro. The less formal MDR and ALL other restaurants beside Le Bistro, shorts and any shirt will do just fine.

Must be a culture thing. I find it quite amazing that anybody these days would actually turn up to a restaurant for dinner wearing shorts be it on a ship or on land. Your suggestion to change from Norwegian Cruise Line is rather insulting.

Dressing down is the thing now days. Last week in church when the 17 graduating seniors from the local Catholic school were called to the front of the church to get their grad congrats, I realized none of them would have been allowed into the Vatican church because of dress code violations. Many people wear shorts and flip flops to mass every week in spring and summer, been going on for some time. If they dress that way to eat the body of Christ, I doubt they be looking any better in any restaurant unless forced.

Dressing down is the thing now days. Last week in church when the 17 graduating seniors from the local Catholic school were called to the front of the church to get their grad congrats, I realized none of them would have been allowed into the Vatican church because of dress code violations. Many people wear shorts and flip flops to mass every week in spring and summer, been going on for some time. If they dress that way to eat the body of Christ, I doubt they be looking any better in any restaurant unless forced.

As I said, it must be a culture thing or more to the point a North American culture. The comments you have made above regarding what is worn for church is quite frankly an insult. It is something that you would never find in England. If this is the way that North Americans dress for important situations, I can see why Americans would not even consider it out of order to wear shorts in a restaurant for dinner.

As I said, it must be a culture thing or more to the point a North American culture. The comments you have made above regarding what is worn for church is quite frankly an insult. It is something that you would never find in England. If this is the way that North Americans dress for important situations, I can see why Americans would not even consider it out of order to wear shorts in a restaurant for dinner.

So you learned something today, congrats.

Obviously, if you are considering what people wear to church then you are talking about a very small minority of English people. Admittedly those people probably do dress up more than the general population (massive generalisation alert!)

Regarding the general dress off English people, all I can say is that you must mix in very different circles than me.

Americans are quite casual. Times change. Perhaps it is that we are not as class conscious as the typical Brit. I agree that casualness can be taken too far, which is why restaurants must set minimum codes for dress. Otherwise you'd be sure to see someone in the MDR in their bathing suits. My teens would never have been allowed to appear in church dressed as you described, nor would they be allowed to appear for breakfast wearing lounge pants or pajama bottoms, which I have seen both on cruises and on land.

In the case of NCL's dress code, I feel like they have set the best compromise possible between those who love being as casual as possible at all times, and those like yourself who are more inclined toward formality. That's why NCL is our favorite cruise line.

Obviously, if you are considering what people wear to church then you are talking about a very small minority of English people. Admittedly those people probably do dress up more than the general population (massive generalisation alert!)

Regarding the general dress off English people, all I can say is that you must mix in very different circles than me.

I drafted a response to your countryman's post, but thought it would not make it past the censors. Your post says it well!!! Thank you!:D

I drafted a response to your countryman's post, but thought it would not make it past the censors. Your post says it well!!! Thank you!:D

With the possibility of being accused of going "off thread", are you referring to me as the Countryman of Keith Jenner? If you are, please have no fear of being pulled by the censors. If I felt it was an acceptable comment based on the actual point of the opening post, then there would be no problem.

Edited by Ewoodspark

I don't understand why someone would be so concerned about what others are wearing. Dressing up is optional on Norwegian. If you choose to dress for dinner, that's fine, but don't look down on others who prefer to be casual and comfortable.

I don't understand why someone would be so concerned about what others are wearing. Dressing up is optional on Norwegian. If you choose to dress for dinner, that's fine, but don't look down on others who prefer to be casual and comfortable.

If you had been following this thread from the start, you would have known that the question by Bleacher (who has now gone into hiding) was could he wear shorts in the Main dining room for dinner. I found this slightly amusing that anybody would even want to wear shorts in any restaurant, on land or sea for dinner.As I pointed out this must be an American culture trend as you would certainly never see anybody wearing shorts in a restaurant for dinner in England. (I dont know where Keith Jenner dines). It is not a matter about being concerned what others are wearing, it is purely the concept of why would they want to in the first place.

(I dont know where Keith Jenner dines).

I have eaten everywhere from the local family restaurant to the House of Lords. Obviously, at the higher end you don't see people dressed down (as I'm sure you wouldn't in the States), but to suggest that you would certainly never see anybody wearing shorts in a restaurant for dinner in England is just not correct.

The mid ship MDR on NCL ships is comparable to a fairly casual restaurant on shore in my opinion. In such a restaurant on shore you would see a large variety of dress, from very smart to fairly scruffy, as is the case on NCL. In the aft dining room, where there is a stricter dress code, people tend to dress up more and this would be more comparable to the sort of land restaurants that you are referring to.

You certainly don't see as many people wearing shorts in England than you do in the States. I'd say that is almost totally due to the fact that the weather is a lot less likely to allow for shorts than it is in many areas of the US.

In answer to your question about why anyone would want to wear shorts to dinner, my guess is that they just don't see it as important. People come in all sorts.

We usually do dress a little nicer than shorts in the evenings when cruising. I even wear the occasional coctail dress. But the meaning of Freestyle Cruising is well publicized. You are free to dress up as little or as much as you like, within the guidelines that are set out in the dress code. There are two Dining rooms where shorts cannot be worn, the large aft MDR and Le Bistro. You are free to wear them in the smaller MDRs and free venues and the other specialty restaurants.

When I cruise, or for that matter vacation on land, I normally don't like to dress up much beyond what we would wear in our everyday lives at home when going out for dinner. My opinion only, but that just seems pretentious to me. Aren't we beyond looking down our noses like the Dowager Countess of Grantham? If you are not comfortable being around low class people in shorts, you are free to choose a cruise line which caters to those with similar thoughts.

I'm sorry but I have to agree with Ewoodspark on this one.

I don't think for one minute he is looking down his nose at anybody.

If you want to wear shorts for dinner, go ahead.

Part of the fun about going on holiday is having a great time on your cruise, get back from your excursion and MAKE THE EFFORT AND DRESS FOR DINNER !

Apparently, this is something you don't do...you've just admitted it.

Some may call you a slob but I'll not....I'm too much a gentleman :D