Norwegian dining

bleacher

I'm sorry but I have to agree with Ewoodspark on this one.

I don't think for one minute he is looking down his nose at anybody.

If you want to wear shorts for dinner, go ahead.

Part of the fun about going on holiday is having a great time on your cruise, get back from your excursion and MAKE THE EFFORT AND DRESS FOR DINNER !

Apparently, this is something you don't do...you've just admitted it.

Some may call you a slob but I'll not....I'm too much a gentleman :D

To me, part of the fun of being on holiday is not having to do what we do on a regular day. Cook, Clean, take out the garbage, and wear a less than comfortable outfit to dinner.

I get what you are saying, for instance, one of the dinners will be our anniversary - so I am going to look presentable. But if you think I am going to look around the room at hundreds of people and give a flying hoot that they did not? You are out of your mind.

My very wise and extremely old fashioned grandmother liked to say "worry about you, don't worry about them."

If you want to wear pants, shorts, capri's, mc hammer pants, I don't care. Its your vacation just as much as it's mine. Be yourself.

I will be traveling with Norwegian for the first time this Sunday.

I plan on packing plenty of shorts and t shirts, but will also pack some nice slacks, jeans, dress shirts and dress shoes. Not a big deal to me to dress up for a nice dinner for a few nights.

Would I care if I'm dressed up and someone comes and sits next to us in flip flops and shorts? Absolutely not. Do as you please!

We're all here to have fun and relax :)

I will be traveling with Norwegian for the first time this Sunday.

I plan on packing plenty of shorts and t shirts, but will also pack some nice slacks, jeans, dress shirts and dress shoes. Not a big deal to me to dress up for a nice dinner for a few nights.

Would I care if I'm dressed up and someone comes and sits next to us in flip flops and shorts? Absolutely not. Do as you please!

We're all here to have fun and relax :)

Ditto :D or as Ricky Nelson would sing: You can't please everyone so you got to please yourself. :p

Part of the fun about going on holiday is having a great time on your cruise, get back from your excursion and MAKE THE EFFORT AND DRESS FOR DINNER !

One of the reasons we love NCL is because we don't want to dress for dinner. There are tons of restaurants where I live that I wouldn't hesitate to wear shorts (and you won't find many folks in them wearing pants). When it's hot, people wear shorts. Finer dining establishments are different. Cruising is a relatively inexpensive vacation, cheaper than a week at the shore (where you won't find pants anywhere....)

Saying you are too much a gentleman to call someone a slob means that you are calling him a slob, and therefore by your own daffynition are NOT a gentleman. Hope you see me wearing shorts and flip-flops in the dining room.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if you asked people what they thought was fun about going on holiday, not many of them would say "making the effort and dressing for dinner"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by KeithJenner

I too am going to go out on a limb and simply refer back to the rules set by NCL, not fellow cruisers, (post #2 has the link) stating that resort casual is the dress code on NCL ships.

The only restrictions being set out by NCL and held to by NCL staff.

Anyone who doesn't want to sit beside me in my cute little short-shorts (not, but hey, you get the meaning if not the picture) and leather lined flip flops in the Mid MDR or any of the other Dining Venues where it's allowed, can simply request to be moved. :p

Worry about yourself, not others. Your on vacation and so am I. Just sayin....:p

Saying you are too much a gentleman to call someone a slob means that you are calling him a slob, and therefore by your own daffynition are NOT a gentleman. Hope you see me wearing shorts and flip-flops in the dining room.

I suggest you read the small print mate. Try getting into the main dining room wearing shorts and flip flops on an evening and you'll be redirected elsewhere.

Its freestyle not slobstyle. Its still a date at a restaurant with waiters and linen tablecloths.

I guess its just personal taste but I DO like to dress up relatively smart on an evening and like some have said on here, I couldnt give a hoot what other people are wearing.

Got nothing against the typical American tourist look ....you go for it :D

Happy cruising

turista.jpg.1d657df2a89429af8401a27e42b5c592.jpg

I suggest you read the small print mate. Try getting into the main dining room wearing shorts and flip flops on an evening and you'll be redirected elsewhere.

Depending upon the ship, there are two or three main dining rooms, and only one with no shorts.

Honestly, I had flip flops on in every dining room (nice ones, with heels).

I know, I know, some here are just out for the last word and of course they think they are correct, however in Post #2 this web addy to the NCL website was posted and obviously ignored:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

As far as the flip flops go, there are different types and I suspect that mjkacmom and mine are not the usual plastic, rubber ones that get a little smelly after a few days in the sun. However, the shorts thing, well, as previously stated, they are allowed in all but two areas, the Aft and more formal MDR and Le Bistro, the French and slightly more posh of the specialty restaurants.

What Should I Pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain. Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day. Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise. We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly. Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if you asked people what they thought was fun about going on holiday, not many of them would say "making the effort and dressing for dinner"

I hate to contradict you, but it is one of the best things we look forward to when we cruise. We love getting dressed for dinner! It's something we don't get a lot of chance to do in our day-to-day life.

I hate to contradict you, but it is one of the best things we look forward to when we cruise. We love getting dressed for dinner! It's something we don't get a lot of chance to do in our day-to-day life.

I think the point Keith is making is that you and others like you, are in the minority. The thing I love about NCL is that, it doesn't matter, wear what YOU want to wear, within the limits set out by NCL.

We dress up occasionally as well, but we don't have to, it's a choice we all make. That's the beauty of Freestyle. It's all up to YOU. :D

There were two restaurants on the Dawn where shorts couldnt be worn....The Venetian and one of the speciality restaurants, maybe Le Bistro?

There were seven of us, some of us dressed up, some didnt...

Life is way to short to worry about what someone else is wearing...

I think the point Keith is making is that you and others like you, are in the minority. The thing I love about NCL is that, it doesn't matter, wear what YOU want to wear, within the limits set out by NCL.

We dress up occasionally as well, but we don't have to, it's a choice we all make. That's the beauty of Freestyle. It's all up to YOU. :D

And I'm saying that there are a lot more people who enjoy dressing up than you may think. I know we're not in the majority, but based on what I see around the ship, there are more of us than you might expect!

And I'm saying that there are a lot more people who enjoy dressing up than you may think. I know we're not in the majority, but based on what I see around the ship, there are more of us than you might expect!

Just to clarify, I wasn't talking specifically about cruising (which probably does attract a higher proportion of people who like to dress up).

My comment was just a light hearted response to the post I quoted which said that it was an attraction of being on holiday. I imagine that is a relatively minority opinion, but I could be wrong, I haven't done any research. :)

I haven't gone anywhere Macdays1. Been out of town for few days. Never planned to wear shorts for dinner; usually prefer Khakis with nice shirt. Just thought I would throw question out there to see if other people would wear shorts to dinner. Thanks for all the responses.

Anytime ANYONE asks about wearing shorts in MDR it gets into the most useless discussion of US versus THEM and the post that started the whole ball rolling was the snotty post #3; the op asked about wearing shorts in dining room, was it ok, not what everyone's personal opinion was. The NCL website, as indicated by other posters, states the freestyle dress code as shorts in dining rooms is ok with some restrictions. That's the answer, move on, accept it, and either keep booking NCL and wear your tux next to the family in golf shirts and shorts and enjoy your meal and have a good time or if you can't stand it hide in your Haven Suite and order room service or go rebook on Oceania or Cunard.

I myself always dress up a little in the evenings, that's me, but have no problem with how others are dressed, what do I care? As long as people are having fun, friendly, polite and having a good time why would I care what they wear.

Now can someone ask about tipping extra or whether they can bring their twin toddlers into a specialty restaurant for dinner?