Will they let you back on the ship?

I agree that locking up your passport doesn't make sense when you leave the ship. We have done land and sea travel all over the world and always take the original with us. We do make copies and Email them to each other before we leave and I have an on line "cloud" back up where I can also get it.

I really find it hard to believe that the ships crew would search my cabin, find my passport, and leave it with the port agent if I missed the ship. As somebody pointed out the port agent is listed in the ships paper each day and there are several places they remind you that is the POC if you need help in port or get left behind. I am sure the port agent would be expecting or looking for you if you missed the ship.

Let's assume that the ship is about to sail and you missed the ship. The ship's engines are lit and ready to take turns. If the ship is docked the lines are singled up and the gangway is stowed. Now at the drop dead point we should expect that someone from the ship's security staff is going to your cabin and do a through search? Then if for some implausible reason they do find it they are going to pull out the crew gangway and send a messenger to the agent? I don't think so. Now assume the ship is anchored. Do you really think they are going to maintain station while they drop a MWB (motor whale boat), send at least two crewman to the port to drop off your passport? I don't think so.

My mommy always told me that I am responsible for me, no one else.

Do yourselves a favor, take your passport with you when going ashore. If you are into smart phones and/or tablets check out Evernote. The free version is more than sufficient for most people's needs. Post a copy of your passport (and any other key document) in Evernote. I have copies of all hotel, airline, cruise and tour confirmations posted. Any lost document can be printed out.

How exactly does this work? When do they leave it at the port? Which port - the one you are at or the next one? How long does this take? I've seen the pier runners trying to get back to the ship before it leaves without them. Are they considered "missing the boat" and their passports are waiting for them at the port?

Sorry, I'm just not getting something here.

I'm just repeating what he told me. He said it would be left with the port authorities I'm assuming the one you are at? Not sure if it's not in the safe what would happen? I guess I'm just worried about pickpockets on the trains etc as I do know some of the places we are going are really bad! My DH uncle was in Rome a few months ago and a young teenage girl about got his wallet out of his front pocket and he's one of the most paranoid people I know! As we will have 6 passports to be responsible for my under the clothes money belt is not big enough to hold them so any suggestions of a way to carry them besides my purse so I don't have to worry all day if I may get distracted? First trip we will be travelling on trains and buses so want to be careful!

Yeah, I was googling this and consensus seems to be they collect and hold them out of any location where you do not have citizenship. Non-US citizens have them held on cruises out of US ports, for example. I'm surprised they did out of PR since thats a US territory but I can see where maybe it's murky.

You can't generalise about this.

We are not US citizens and we have never had our passports held when cruising out of the US. Likewise, even though we don't have passports of an EU country, we have never had our passports held while cruising in Europe.

Some countries require the cruise line to hold all passports. Some do not.

Some cruise lines hold your passport for some cruises. Others do not.

Some countries require you to carry your passport with you while on shore (Egypt and India spring to mind). Others do not.

You can't generalise about this.

We are not US citizens and we have never had our passports held when cruising out of the US. Likewise, even though we don't have passports of an EU country, we have never had our passports held while cruising in Europe.

Some countries require the cruise line to hold all passports. Some do not.

Some cruise lines hold your passport for some cruises. Others do not.

Some countries require you to carry your passport with you while on shore (Egypt and India spring to mind). Others do not.

We are US citizens. We have cruised on all major cruise lines at one time or another. We have done Europe four times, including Russia. Caribbean 15 times, including out of PR. We have NEVER been asked to submit and hold our passports by any cruise line in any country. I think that if RCCL held someone's passport there is more to the story than cruise line policy.

On some cruises, all passengers are required to turn their passport into Royal Caribbean. I think if you missed the ship on one of those cruises, they would leave your passport. It depends on what Visas are needed for the sailing.

Please provide specifics to substantiate your assertion including: date, point of departure, point of termination, ship and itinerary and how you come to know this.

On some cruises, all passengers are required to turn their passport into Royal Caribbean. I think if you missed the ship on one of those cruises, they would leave your passport. It depends on what Visas are needed for the sailing.

I recall some people posting about this, but cannot recall what country they were visiting that required this.

I really find it hard to believe that the ships crew would search my cabin, find my passport, and leave it with the port agent if I missed the ship. As somebody pointed out the port agent is listed in the ships paper each day and there are several places they remind you that is the POC if you need help in port or get left behind. I am sure the port agent would be expecting or looking for you if you missed the ship.

ah but they do. you hear all those announcements :would so and so from Cabin 1234 pleas report to guess services: these people are not on board 30 minutes before scheduled departure.

at some point they WILL b kicked out of their berth. so regardless of whether or not you are on board they leave. if there are missing people( the whole point of the "bing" when you come back on board is to let the ship know you are on board) they(Security) WILL enter your cabin and look for passports or other ID to leave behind with the port officials who will pass them along to you when you eventually show up so that you CAN get transportation to the next port.

they also do this when you are injured or fall ill while on shore and are taken to a hospital

We are US citizens. We have cruised on all major cruise lines at one time or another. We have done Europe four times, including Russia. Caribbean 15 times, including out of PR. We have NEVER been asked to submit and hold our passports by any cruise line in any country. I think that if RCCL held someone's passport there is more to the story than cruise line policy.

As you can see in the attached cruise compas from 2003 all passengers were requested to attend to a Immigration Inspection. During this inspection we received our passports back like all other passengers.

IMG_5024.jpg

As you can see in the attached cruise compas from 2003 all passengers were requested to attend to a Immigration Inspection. During this inspection we received our passports back like all other passengers.

IMG_5024.jpg

Thanks for this. Interesting to look at the old Cruise Compass. Looks like they had lunch in the MDR on a port day. Wonder when that practice stopped.

Please provide specifics to substantiate your assertion including: date, point of departure, point of termination, ship and itinerary and how you come to know this.

Our passports were kept for several days on our Mediterranean cruise in 2006, I believe it was a requirement for visiting Turkey. This was on Brilliance.

Passports were taken upon check in at Port Canaveral for our Around the Horn cruise on Mariner in 2009 and not returned until end of B2B2B in Los Angeles.

More recently, our passports were taken before we arrived in the French Polynesian islands and returned before we arrived in Maui. This was in April on Radiance.

We've always been told it's a requirement by some countries for the ship to collect passports. I've seen some people get quite upset when told they have to hand over their passports, but like the check in agent told the angry woman next to me in Port Canaveral, "You want to go on this cruise, I need keep your passport, you don't hand in your passport, you don't go on the cruise.":D

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

Russia for one.

You didn't answer the question. What RCCL ship, and when. The only cruise port I know of in Russia is St. Petersburg. We were REQUIRED to take our passports ashore. You couldn't even get off the ship unless you had a bonafide tour ticket and passport unless you had a visa.

So, again,where in Russia and what RCCL ship you were aboard where you were required to submit your passport for retention by the ship?

Our passports were kept for several days on our Mediterranean cruise in 2006, I believe it was a requirement for visiting Turkey. This was on Brilliance.

Passports were taken upon check in at Port Canaveral for our Around the Horn cruise on Mariner in 2009 and not returned until end of B2B2B in Los Angeles.

More recently, our passports were taken before we arrived in the French Polynesian islands and returned before we arrived in Maui. This was in April on Radiance.

We've always been told it's a requirement by some countries for the ship to collect passports. I've seen some people get quite upset when told they have to hand over their passports, but like the check in agent told the angry woman next to me in Port Canaveral, "You want to go on this cruise, I need keep your passport, you don't hand in your passport, you don't go on the cruise.":D

I assume you are NOT a US citizen?

How many millions of people do land based travel, with their passports, and somehow manage to keep possession of them? For some reason cruise passenger have this sense that a passport needs to be kept locked up and guarded like a bar of gold in Fort Knox because everyone is after it. Do any other travelers, other that cruisers, even discuss this subject?

Over the years I've done a lot of traveling, with my passport, and somehow it always ends up back home with me.

I'm assuming with land based vacations, folks use the passport while traveling, then it gets locked in the hotel safe. They don't take it out while touring the town they're in.

Let's assume that the ship is about to sail and you missed the ship. The ship's engines are lit and ready to take turns. If the ship is docked the lines are singled up and the gangway is stowed. Now at the drop dead point we should expect that someone from the ship's security staff is going to your cabin and do a through search? Then if for some implausible reason they do find it they are going to pull out the crew gangway and send a messenger to the agent? I don't think so. Now assume the ship is anchored. Do you really think they are going to maintain station while they drop a MWB (motor whale boat), send at least two crewman to the port to drop off your passport? I don't think so.

My mommy always told me that I am responsible for me, no one else.

Do yourselves a favor, take your passport with you when going ashore. If you are into smart phones and/or tablets check out Evernote. The free version is more than sufficient for most people's needs. Post a copy of your passport (and any other key document) in Evernote. I have copies of all hotel, airline, cruise and tour confirmations posted. Any lost document can be printed out.

I'm also assuming at some point before sailing (30 minutes, 1 hour?) they start going through cabins getting passports/documentation. Aren't you supposed to be on board 45 minutes before sailing? There can't be that many people still on land 30 minutes before hand.

I believe the country requiring passports to be held by the ship is/was Turkey.

ETA: Those who take their passports with them, what do you do with the passports when you want to swim as a family? One person stays out of the water to "guard" the PP?

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

I'm assuming with land based vacations, folks use the passport while traveling, then it gets locked in the hotel safe. They don't take it out while touring the town they're in.

I've never left my passport in a hotel safe. Let me refer you to the picture earlier in this thread of the empty shelf where the hotel room safe was formerly located.

I've never left my passport in a hotel safe. Let me refer you to the picture earlier in this thread of the empty shelf where the hotel room safe was formerly located.

That's fine. How often have you heard of an entire room safe being taken? How often have you heard of a passport being pick pocketed or otherwise stolen?

For that matter, how often does someone miss sailing and need their passport (compared to how many people actually sail)?

That's fine. How often have you heard of an entire room safe being taken? How often have you heard of a passport being pick pocketed or otherwise stolen?

For that matter, how often does someone miss sailing and need their passport (compared to how many people actually sail)?

How many times have I lost my passport over the years?

We were told that the harbor pilot takes them to the Port Agent after he or she exits the ship. Not sure our room steward would be qualified as an expert, but that is who told us that.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I'm also assuming at some point before sailing (30 minutes, 1 hour?) they start going through cabins getting passports/documentation. Aren't you supposed to be on board 45 minutes before sailing? There can't be that many people still on land 30 minutes before hand.

I believe the country requiring passports to be held by the ship is/was Turkey.

ETA: Those who take their passports with them, what do you do with the passports when you want to swim as a family? One person stays out of the water to "guard" the PP?

Who guards the cash, kindle, iPhone, sea cards and whatever else?

How many times have I lost my passport over the years?

Does that mean everyone who does what you do will also never lose their passport?

How many times have you had to use your passport because you missed a ship sailing?

Does that mean everyone who does what you do will also never lose their passport?

How many times have you had to use your passport because you missed a ship sailing?

I have missed a ship's sailing just as often as I've lost my passport. It all goes back to those old fashoned parents.....

And I also have cruised major cruise lines at one time or another and have had my Passport held By RCI, Celebrity, HAL and Princess. Just because you have never had yours held it doesn't mean other cruises have not had had thers held.

From US embassy website:

While you do need to have a passport when traveling overseas, special arrangements are made by the large cruise ship lines to facilitate their passengers’ shore excursions. These special arrangements allow cruise ship passengers to come ashore without a visa for day visits.Please check with your cruise line for details of their arrangement.

You may visit Turkey on a day trip from your cruise ship without carrying your passport ashore. You may want to carry a photocopy of your passport with you when your passport is being kept for safekeeping by the cruise lines, however.

It states You MAY visit Turkey without carrying your passport ashore. Does not say you HAVE TO surrender your passport. This provision is for people who don't feel comfortable taking their passport with them. Wonder how uncomfortable they would be if for any number of reasons they could not return to the ship and were in a foreign country without a passport.

Like I said if you were required to leave your passport in Turkey with the ship there had to be unusual circumstances that do not apply to the majority of cruise passengers.

If I am on a self guided tour of Turkey who do I "leave" my passport with, the front desk of my hotel? I think not.

Edited by Redman1947