Fake Names?

jp12687

Me thinks it is more than a rumor. When you have a Filipino steward named John Smith, it is highly questionable. I am in a customer service field and we have customers with this first name Kunnathuparampil. As a steward, I would tell you my name is John. I would not expect you to be able to pronounce my name much less remember it. How about listing a last name. Try Paphatsarang.

Of course they come up with something easier to remember and pronounce.

Me thinks it is more than a rumor. When you have a Filipino steward named John Smith, it is highly questionable. I am in a customer service field and we have customers with this first name Kunnathuparampil. As a steward, I would tell you my name is John. I would not expect you to be able to pronounce my name much less remember it. How about listing a last name. Try Paphatsarang.

Of course they come up with something easier to remember and pronounce.

Your example I consider to be an alias. Saying "fake name" sounds like it is for malicious purposes. Su sure, a lot of customer service types will Americanize their names or translate their name as best as they can to English.

I have a fake name myself and use it always. My real name is too hard to pronounce. I dare say many feel the same way about their names. Gets old having to teach how to pronounce your name over and over and over and over and over again.

So what if they use different names?

I agree a lot of them probably call themselves something that is easier to say if they have a difficult name.

I used to work at a college that had a lot of chinese people and every one of them was called something other than their actual name. When I saw a list of their actual names, I was glad I didn't have to remember them.

I worked at Disneyland with a cast member that had the first name of PHUC.

Yep, if you looked at his name tag and pronounced it, you would think it says that word. But it was pronounced with the long o sound like spook. After about a week of fellow cast members AND guests saying his name like like a swear word, he asked for and received a new name tag with FRANK on it. LOL

What difference does it make. If "Frank" or "Phuc" does a nice job or a bad job as a cabin steward and you want to report it, they will know who you are talking about.

We had one cabin steward who told us his name was John. His assistant called him another name that we couldn't pronounce. His name tag said John so that's what we called him.

I guess the old addage "Call me anything you want, just don't call me late for supper!" applies here.

I work with overseas call centers (in the Philippines) and the agents change their names, just because its easier for the Average American to say. Even the ones with "typical" American names change them.

We've had agents named "Sunshine" and "Honey". My favorite is one of our offshore agents had the legal name Rocky Balboa. :D

In the age of social media, Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare etc. If I still worked on the phones I would consider changing my name, just from a security perspective. People are crazy, one bad experience and they could start stalking you on FB. When I was on the phones I had people ask me if I worked in a specific office, because they didn't live too far away and they were going to come to office and have a chat. I don't blame the cruise staff for using aliases.

How many people do you know in your circle that have nicknames or use a shorter version of their given name? My son's name is Eddie, we call him Buddy, does that make him a questionable person? Again, I agree, it's simply for our benefit, not theirs, to offer us an easier way to address them, not to hide their true identities.

Edited by CruiseCrazyCouple0611

debee105, excellent point. I work in the medical field as an RN and we finally got our last names removed from our badge due to several instances of patients/families searching/stalking/contacting us on social media sites.

Back to the OP, I am sure they use an alias. I don't think it makes a difference though.

Edited by Krissica

I heard a rumor a lot of the staff have fake names on their name tags...is this true?

Hi Jp :)

Yes, alias or shortened names are sometimes placed onto a tag. However, there is a

strict approval process regarding this. In fact, everything & anything that has to do

with staff name tags is very strict and is not taken lightly by officers, supervisors,

and of course the one to two people only, per ship, that are even permitted to print

a name tag.

:)

How many people do you know in your circle that have nicknames or use a shorter version of their given name? My son's name is Eddie, we call him Buddy, does that make him a questionable person? Again, I agree, it's simply for our benefit, not theirs, to offer us an easier way to address them, not to hide their true identities.

I'm a prime example. My name is Richard and I go by Dick. SIL ask me one time how in the world they get Dick out of Richard. I have no idea and I won't tell you the answer I gave her.

Many of the men from Bali use their last names. If they didn't half the crew would be Wayan, Made, Ketut, Neoman or Putu.
On my first cruise the steward was named Putu . So was his assistant. We called them Putu and Putu2.

Great stewards. :)

On my first cruise the steward was named Putu . So was his assistant. We called them Putu and Putu2.

Great stewards. :)

I hope they didn't have a sister named Puta. :)

I was in a store one and the cashier had a name tag that read "LaTrina"

I laughed to myself and thought "Maybe her dad was in the Army". Then I thought thank God he wasn't in the Navy....she would have been named "Head"

I hope they didn't have a sister named Puta. :)

I was in a store one and the cashier had a name tag that read "LaTrina"

I laughed to myself and thought "Maybe her dad was in the Army". Then I thought thank God he wasn't in the Navy....she would have been named "Head"

We see several LaTrina's at the place I work, but the one that makes me laugh like a mad man everytime is when one of the LaTrinas comes in with her son Sh*tarious. OK, I shouldn't find that so funny, but I do.

Edited by loxley

I have seven(?) green crew cards in my collection of cruise cards

They look like this..

Crew_SandS.JPG

The name on this card is short! ;)

I have others with names that run clear across the card to the edge on the far right!

Now you know why they use shorter names. :D