Debit Card Question

acharris1

Between four of us, we have $1700 in onboard credit, gratuities paid, and excursions paid. Do you think NCL will put a hold on our debit card for your onboard account?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Between four of us, we have $1700 in onboard credit, gratuities paid, and excursions paid. Do you think NCL will put a hold on our debit card for your onboard account?

They say they do. I've never used one though.

My niece used a debit card, and didn't have on board credit or gratuities paid. She said they held $300 on her card, and it was released in just a day or 2 after the cruise was over. She had no troubles whatsoever.

Is this for real?

Are you saying you gratuities are already paid. And your excursions are already paid. AND - you still have $1,700 in onboard credit that you have to spend?

Hope you have plans to spend all of that. If you need a drinking buddy, I am sure you can find a few here.

I used a debit card on the breakaway I had no problems at all.

Yes, many. many - even ten's of thousands use their debit card with no problem.

But, there are some issues that debit card users need to be aware of. Especially if your checking account has a "tight" balance and no overdraft options. Or a hold for a few days to a week or more will cause trouble. It does happen from time to time.

Edited by garycarla

never use a debit card for anything but atm

you get it compromised they clean out your account

they get a credit card your exposure is limited

Darn... another poster trying to confuse us with reality.

(thanks)

never use a debit card for anything but atm

you get it compromised they clean out your account

they get a credit card your exposure is limited

Incredible words of wisdom my friend!

Now if everyone would just listen

Fwiw everything I do goes on a credit card. Gas groceries. Dunkin donuts if need be

All paid off promptly and efficiently too

I don't even use ATMs anymore since I was cloned in Venice and the bank gave me a difficult time about it

If I need cash I go visit a teller. How old timey of me!!

Btw I was a bank ATM supervisor back in the early days of ATMs circa 1980

I am quite a techie but nope never dipping the ATM card anywhere anytime nope never. Won't even hand the ATM card to anyone anywhere any store

Never run out of cash either as I am not afraid to carry it on my person or keep a few hundred at home. No need for anything more anyway with credit cards! Lol

Credit cards only!!!!

Edited by Crusin6

if you have a credit card, just use that. With that much OBC they'll never touch the card.

I agree with sdmike, if you have a credit card just use that as security at check-in - even if you plan on NOT to let any charges be paid with that particular CC. If you don't have any charges that can't be covered by the fantastic OBC you have, then they will not charge your credit card either. And any "hold" amount they might put on your credit card, will not affect your credit and will not show on your next credit card bill either. Like many others have stated - if you give them a debit card there might be a few holds on it that is cleared within a week. But just be aware that if you have limited funds on that debit card, you might get in to "trouble" while waiting for the holds to be cleared. NCL states on their website that it could take up to 30 days.....

It is also possible to give them a credit card at check-in, but still pay your bill on board with a different credit card, a debit card or in cash - and that way let no expenses be charged to the original credit card given at time of check-in. You just have to do it before they close your ship account at the end of the cruise.

Edited by TrumpyNor

...Are you saying you gratuities (DSC) are already paid. And your excursions are already paid. AND - you still have $1,700 in onboard credit that you have to spend?

Hope you have plans to spend all of that. If you need a drinking buddy, I am sure you can find a few here.

Still wondering how somebody got so much OBC and stuff prepaid as well. And how they are gonna still spend $1700

Still wondering how somebody got so much OBC and stuff prepaid as well. And how they are gonna still spend $1700

I'm wondering the same thing. I spoke with a friend, a very new cruiser, their 1st cruise coming up soon. They thought they would receive $800 OBC. I was surprised at the amount but she said it was $400 pp. :eek:

I asked her to call and confirm the amount. Unfortunately, it was only 400 per cabin......still a very nice amount, just not 800 she thought it was. :)

YES NCL will still put a hold on whatever card you give them. There were only 2 of us, and I had pre-purchased OBC of $1200. I even had my amenities confirmation printed and took it with me. The check-in person (and her supervisor) both were adamant that they did not have access to that information so I would still need a credit card or go to the credit desk and deposit $1000 to open my on-board account.

The vouchers for OBC were on the bed when we entered the room, had to sign & return them to the Purser's Desk, the credits showed up the 2nd day of the cruise.

Have a great cruise!

Never, ever use debit card as main form of payment. Very limited consumer protection. Very limited fraud protection. Long holds and delays beyond your control are possible. Debit is very last thing I will use for emergency cash. When someone steals a credit card I am totally protected. When someone steals a debit card and drains the checking account it is linked to you have very little resolution. Companies these days have adequately proven to me that they are not capable of protecting sensitive and important data.

Credit > Cash > Debit.

... I had pre-purchased OBC of $1200. I even had my amenities confirmation printed and took it with me. The check-in person (and her supervisor) both were adamant that they did not have access to that information so I would still need a credit card or go to the credit desk and deposit $1000 to open my on-board account.

The vouchers for OBC were on the bed when we entered the room, had to sign & return them to the Purser's Desk, the credits showed up the 2nd day of the cruise.

Have a great cruise!

Another reason not to prepay anything. Why give somebody your money, then have to prove to them that you did? Just pay when it is due.

You don't have to use a debit or credit card,

I don't know what port you're leaving from, but in NYC they don't accept cash at the port you have to do that once on board. So I would just tell them I'm using cash when being checked in and don't go to guest services to put any cash down.

They won't put you off the ship. (LOL) NO WORRIES.

To the person that pre-paid over $1,000 in OBC.... Why? I totally don't get any of this prepaid stuff, except maybe the DSC if you're using cash on board. Why give them your money when you don't have to? OBC isn't immediately refunded either. It can take weeks to get that back.

Is this for real?

Are you saying you gratuities are already paid. And your excursions are already paid. AND - you still have $1,700 in onboard credit that you have to spend?

I just was thinking. Could this op actually mean the the $1700 is enough to pay for grats and excursions?

It's crazy if they paid grats and excursions out of pocket already and didn't use the Obc for it.

YES NCL will still put a hold on whatever card you give them. There were only 2 of us, and I had pre-purchased OBC of $1200. I even had my amenities confirmation printed and took it with me. The check-in person (and her supervisor) both were adamant that they did not have access to that information so I would still need a credit card or go to the credit desk and deposit $1000 to open my on-board account.

Have a great cruise!

$1,000?????? Never heard of such a thing that you have to leave that much of a deposit whoever told you that has no idea what they are doing.