Pre Existing

Bases5

Ok

I read my policy and here is the statement from my policy. It's not TG but I think it covers family members at home, as long as I purchase pre existing weaver within the allotted time.

With a pre-existing conditions waiver, you'll be eligible for travel insurance benefits should something related to your condition (or your loved one's condition) disrupt your trip. For example, if you are traveling abroad and a family member at home who suffers from a pre-existing condition suddenly takes a turn for the worse, making it necessary for you to cut your trip short, your policy's trip interruption benefits would apply. If you were traveling with a pre-existing condition of your own, and suddenly had a recurrence or relapse that required you to seek medical attention, your expenses would be covered under the guidelines set by your travel insurance provider. Without the pre-existing conditions waiver, you would not be eligible for these benefits.

The Policy defines "immediate family" or equivalent. If you purchase the Policy in the 14-21 days of your cruise deposit, you should be covered for cancellation/interruption (for the conditions specifically described in the policy) for sickness and such for yourself, your traveling companion and your "immediate family" regardless of pre-existing conditions for any of them.

If you read their policies carefully, I interpret that for many policies the "pre-exisiting condition" often looks to apply only to the cruiser and traveling companion and NOT to the rest of the left behind immediate family.

What specific Policy do you have?

ken

The Policy defines "immediate family" or equivalent. If you purchase the Policy in the 14-21 days of your cruise deposit, you should be covered for cancellation/interruption (for the conditions specifically described in the policy) for sickness and such for yourself, your traveling companion and your "immediate family" regardless of pre-existing conditions for any of them.

If you read their policies carefully, I interpret that for many policies the "pre-exisiting condition" often looks to apply only to the cruiser and traveling companion and NOT to the rest of the left behind immediate family.

What specific Policy do you have?

ken

InsureAssist TravCan Premier

Ed and April,

Here is your actual policy description

http://www.insureassist.com/certificate/IATCP/all.html?quoteId=vr0IRcZ76ACN&rev=16

This company hides the DOC inside a quote form, so you cannot see the actual policy until you ask for a quote. The DOC defines Family Members, limits Pre Existing Waivers to within 21 days and defines medical cancellation as "(a) Sickness, Accidental Injury or death of You, Traveling Companion, or Family Member which results in medically imposed restrictions as certified by a Physician at the time of loss preventing your continued participation in the Trip. A Physician must advise cancellation of the Trip on or before the Scheduled Departure Date;"

Ok

I read my policy and here is the statement from my policy. It's not TG but I think it covers family members at home, as long as I purchase pre existing weaver within the allotted time.

With a pre-existing conditions waiver, you'll be eligible for travel insurance benefits should something related to your condition (or your loved one's condition) disrupt your trip. For example, if you are traveling abroad and a family member at home who suffers from a pre-existing condition suddenly takes a turn for the worse, making it necessary for you to cut your trip short, your policy's trip interruption benefits would apply. If you were traveling with a pre-existing condition of your own, and suddenly had a recurrence or relapse that required you to seek medical attention, your expenses would be covered under the guidelines set by your travel insurance provider. Without the pre-existing conditions waiver, you would not be eligible for these benefits.

I read your Policy several times:

As I read the Policy, the definition of pre-existing condition is only stated as applying for the insured traveler and their traveling companion (and is therefore not applicable to the defined family members). So IMO if grandma back home with a pre-existing condition were to become so sick that you had to cancel, the claim could not be denied because grandma had a pre-existing condition:

"Pre-Existing Condition means any injury, sickness or condition of You, an Insured’s Traveling Companion for which within the sixty (60) day period prior to the effective date of Trip Cancellation coverage under the Group Policy (a) first manifested itself or exhibited symptoms which would have caused one to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; (b) required taking prescribed drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; or © required medical treatment or treatment was recommended by a Physician."

"The Pre-Existing Conditions exclusion is waived for You if the Insured enrolls You in the Group Policy at the time the Insured pays the deposit required for his or her Trip (or within 21 days of the initial deposit) and the Insured purchases the coverage under the Group Policy for the full cost of their Trip."

What I don't like about this Policy is the wording for Cancellation/Interruption, to the effect that the injury (to Family member) would have to be such that it would prevent you from traveling -and- that a Physician has to advise that you should not travel. Other Policies aren't quite so demanding in their wording.

"The Company will pay a benefit, up to the maximum shown on the Confirmation of Coverage, if You are prevented from taking Your Covered Trip due to:

(a) Sickness, Accidental Injury or death of You, Traveling Companion, or Family Member which results in medically imposed restrictions as certified by a Physician at the time of loss preventing your continued participation in the Trip. A Physician must advise cancellation of the Trip on or before the Scheduled Departure Date"

Interestingly, I couldn't find the usual statement that (anyone) has to be fit to travel the day they purchase the Policy.

Some Policies cover expenses for continued treatment at home for 6-12 months after return of a medical situation that occurs and is first treated aboard ship; this policy looks to only cover the (emergency) treatment during the Cruise. This probably isn't important if you have other Health Insurance that will pay for the continued treatment after your return.

The Policy DOES include Accidental Death & Dismembermen (AD&D) which many policies do not include.

NOTE that you do not have to "purchase" the Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions - it's included in the Policy if you purchase the Policy w/in 21 days of booking your cruise. Having the Waiver is nice in that it avoids all the pre-existing investigations/discussions/ambiguities.

Also, be careful; the words your quoting are in a summary/description of the Policy - the only words the Insurer is "held to" are the words of the Policy itself.

ken

Edited by Ken076

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read the policy.

I always buy travel insurance at the same time I book my trip to get the pre existing waiver.

My main concern was my Dad. He live's with us.

He is self sufficient, still drive's etc. When we vacation we have one of the kids stop by and check on him.

He does have several medical issues that are under control with doctors care. He is also up there in years. As you know anything could happen

I was hoping this policy would help pay if we had to cancel or return home mid vacation if something happened.

As I read it, there seems to be coverage but other people keep telling me Travel guard is the only one that will cover us because he has some pre existing condition.

It can be very confusing.

Edited by Bases5

This whole subject is confusing because the wording in the various Policies is confusing.

Regarding your specific policy, IMO the term "pre-existing condition" only applies to the insured traveler and his/her traveling companion and does not apply to any of the defined family members who aren't traveling.

I do wonder why they are so restrictive in their wording using the word prevent - one could easily say that the grave illness or even death of a non-traveling family member doesn't strictly prevent you from traveling.

IMO you're fine. To ease your mind, you might consider calling the Insrer's 800 number, try to talk to an actual claims adjuster, and give him/her your specific situation/scenario (keeping in reserve their definition of "pre-existing condition" as applying only to insured traveler and Companion).

Ken

Edited by Ken076