How are the seas when cruising to Alaska?

goofytoo

We are going on a cruise to Alaska in 9 days.:p

It just occurred to me that the seas may be rougher between Seattle and the inside passage than they are in the Caribbean. Can anybody tell me their experience with sea conditions during their Alaskan cruise?

The seas were not that bad on my cruise in early May last year on the Miracle in Alaska. We had fog on the last sea day going back to Seattle and felt some motion. Went on a Caribbean cruise on the Fascination last November and the last sea day was the roughest day that I had experienced in a long time.

That was my experience. Just be prepared if you are prone to sea sickness as I imagine it will vary just like the weather in Alaska.

Edited by mj

I am just off 3 weeks on Carnival. You can expect at least one rough day. There are 3 open ocean sea days (a negative with this itinerary) which can be rough. NO WAY to predict, it's an average.

I will mention, however, IF you wish to get some glacier viewing during the cruise you need to book excursions. From the cruise ship, you will only see a miles off glacier glimpse. Far superior and "necessary" in my opinion is the purchase of the add on Tracy Arm tour.

The seas were not that bad on my cruise in early May last year. We encountered fog on the last sea day. The seas were not that rough on the entire cruise. That was my experience.

Thanks. Another needless worry scratched off my to do list.:D

I am just off 3 weeks on Carnival. You can expect at least one rough day. There are 3 open ocean sea days (a negative with this itinerary) which can be rough. NO WAY to predict, it's an average.

I will mention, however, IF you wish to get some glacier viewing during the cruise you need to book excursions. From the cruise ship, you will only see a miles off glacier glimpse. Far superior and "necessary" in my opinion is the purchase of the add on Tracy Arm tour.

Thanks for the tip. I would love to book the Tracy Arm tour, however there are four of us. The cost is prohibitive. We are just going to have to settle for the Mendenhall glacier.

Besides, I don't think the Cheers program is offered on the Tracy Arm tour is it.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip. I would love to book the Tracy Arm tour, however there are four of us. The cost is prohibitive. We are just going to have to settle for the Mendenhall glacier.

Besides, I don't think the Cheers program is offered on the Tracy Arm tour is it.:rolleyes:

Cancel the cheers and do Tracy Arm. Seriously. You can drink at home.

We just did the cruise last week. My wife's trip report is on this forum. It was a bit rough for us between the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the entrance to the inside passage, both coming and going. Conditions change all the time though, and past experience isn't indicative of conditions that you will face.

There are a number of marine forecast websites. As the date draws close, keep an eye on the forecast. I like Stormsurf - this is a link to the buoy prediction for theh entrance to the inside passage entrance, and it looks pretty good next week:

http://stormsurf.com/cgi-bin/4cast.cgi?ID=enp.46205

Other great sites include NOAA and magic seaweed.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46205

http://magicseaweed.com/West-Dixon-Entrance-Wave-Buoy/61554/

hope that helps, and enjoy your trip!

We are going on a cruise to Alaska in 9 days.:p

It just occurred to me that the seas may be rougher between Seattle and the inside passage than they are in the Caribbean. Can anybody tell me their experience with sea conditions during their Alaskan cruise?

We just got back from an 11 day cruise out of San Francisco. The seas were a little rough, but nothing drastic. Didn't hear any one complain of sea sickness. If you're prone to motion sickness, keep your stomach full with stuff like crackers or bread. Don't sweat the waves, have a great time!

It can be rough until you get to the inside passage so I would have some ginger tablets handy or Bonine.

I can't tell you how many "green" passengers who were first time cruisers telling me they were never going to cruise again when the first day the ship was in the ocean. I would tell them to hang on, once in the inside passage, things would be just fine. They later would come up with smiles on their faces telling me I was right, maybe cruising wasn't that bad (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Several years ago, on our cruise from Seattle (we were on Princess) the sea was very rough until we reached the Inside Passage. Seasick people all over the place and the dining room was pretty much empty. We came prepared with Bonine and had no problems at all. Once we reached the Inside Passage, it was smooth sailing all the way. My TA took the same cruise as we did the week after our cruise, and she had no issues with rough seas at all. You just can't tell - even from week to week. Just come prepared with something for seasickness and you should be fine. You'll love Alaska. Enjoy!

Elf

We just got back from the June 1st sailing on the Grand Princess and she was rocking and rolling pretty good on the first full sea day, lots of people didn't feel well. We don't take anything for sea sickness and don't get sea sick.

Anytime that you sail in open waters such as on the west side of Vancouver Island you run the risk of rough seas so you may well have a couple of days of them but there is no way of predicting them this far out.

It's they ocean! Sometimes it's smooth, sometimes rough... And you'll find that anywhere.

Taters has the best answer...to anyone trying to figure out what the ocean is going to be like on their cruise.

Edited by cruizinator