Tapas

papadave

I'm not a big fan of TexMex food, but I love a meal of assorted Tapas and Sangria. Has anyone gone to the Salsa specialty restaurant and made a meal (or most of a meal) out of the Tapas? What do they offer?

Not sure which ship "salsa" is on...but on the Sun, the tapas bar/restauant became our favorite pre dinner drink spot. They offered a variety of hot dishes - usally three or four each nite and thee or four cold ones. The hots ones were usally something like an empanada while the cold ones were often salads - cerveche, etc. BUT our favorites were the olive assortment and the marinated goat cheese! VERY Tasty!

Clay

Papadave -

we were on the Sun as well. I don't know what we ate at Tapas, but we enjoyed most of it, especially the beer. It was our favorite spot in the afternoon, before it opened, when it got to be too hot to sit outside. We had the place to ourselves. We hope to be able to repeat that nice experience on the Jewel next month.

We went to Salsa's a couple of times just for some tappas. There is a bar in the back of the resteraunt and you can sit there and just order the tappas of the day. From what I remembered it changed every day. In my opinion Salsa is one resteraunt on the Dawn that is under rated.

I think I can answer this one.

On our Dawn cruise...I made a meal out of tapas and sangria.

The tapas are a section of hot and cold items...from what I remembered the hot included a chicken wing, fried little fish (whole...head on and all - but they were good), a baked tomato thingy. The cold included hummus, tabboleah(sp) salad, pita bread, stuffed grape leaf. These are only a few of the offering. I really wasn't hungry that day and the tapas with the wonderful salsa they serve you were very sufficient.

Salsa's is a free restaurant...no extra charge for tapas. Sangria you must pay for...get the pitcher (only about $15 or so) and it is worth it.

A little tip about Salsa:

We had called the day we wanted to go for dinner and asked for a reservation around 700p. The hostess on the phone informed us that they did not have any available seats. OK FINE!!!! Well...we really wanted to eat there so we got dressed and headed to the restaurant at 700pm and guess what...there were plenty of seats available. So instead of getting all in a "tiff" and ruining my vacation, my boyfriend politely asked the hostess if we could be seated at a table near the edge (so we could see the artists performing in the Atrium). She comes back a few minutes later and voila a table.

Now to ensure that if I suggested this idea to others and they to would receive a seat without a ressie, we tipped the hostess upon leaving the restaurant. My bf discreetly placed a $20 bill in his palm and as we were leaving the restaurant he introduced himself and thanked her very much for giving us a table without a ressie. WELL...BOY WAS SHE HAPPY!!!!! In fact, we went back another night (again without a ressie)...she saw us in the back of the line and ushered us promptly to a table. Not even asking if we had a reservation. We didn't tip her again, but everytime we saw her on the ship she always said hello.

I am not condoning having to tip the hostess extra, but it doesn't hurt. Especially if someone has done something "special" for you. I don't think they book this restaurant to the gills because it is a small staff and they probably can't handle a full room with only a few crew members working.

So in summary if you decide to do something like what we did then please give the host/hostess something little extra. Maybe not $20 (it was all we had on us) but even a $5 or a few bucks. JMHO!!!

Salsa is my wife's favorite place to eat on the ship. There is a small bar there where you can have a drink & enjoy the tapas or a seated lounge area where they will bring you tapas and drinks.

The frajitas are great and I really liked the meatloaf with barbeque sauce. I think I'll try the ribs in September.

The white sangria is to die for. Make sure you have the large pitcher, about $25.00. We got to know the bartender, Augustine, and he showed us how to make it. They don't spare the liquor when they make it. No wonder it packs such a punch.

Happy cruising

Monty

Salsa on the Dawn, and it's equivalent Endless Summer on the Star are fantastic!!!

There are several entree's that are wonderful. I wish I had managed to pick up a copy of the souvenir menu to post a picture of, but I couldnt find one.

It's a small restaurant, and free, and the service is great :) The food is excellent. Tapas are only a tip of the iceberg :) (Oooo bad choice of words for a cruiseship!)

"The tapas are a section of hot and cold items...from what I remembered the hot included a chicken wing, fried little fish (whole...head on and all - but they were good), a baked tomato thingy. The cold included hummus, tabboleah(sp) salad, pita bread, stuffed grape leaf. These are only a few of the offering. I really wasn't hungry that day and the tapas with the wonderful salsa they serve you were very sufficient.[/color]

Salsa's is a free restaurant...no extra charge for tapas. Sangria you must pay for...get the pitcher (only about $15 or so) and it is worth it."

That doesn't sound much like the tapas I'm familiar with. Pita bread and grape leaves sound like the food of Greece, not Spain or Portugal. I'm hoping for some pulpo, sardines, chorizo and similar foods.

this thread makes me wish there was a salsas restraunt around the block. Its horrible to know there is a restraunt out there with amaizing food and its just not tangable to you for the moment.

Like the parot club in old san juan... the best meal i'v ever had....drool...

On the Sun we too ate at the Tapa bar: Los Rambles I think was the name. DD and I had planned on making it an appitizer stop before dinner, by the time we left, 2 drinks and lots of food later we decided just to hit the buffet. Even then we could not even get our salads finished. We can't wait to try the one on the Jewel in 3 weeks and 8 days I think. NMnita

"The tapas are a section of hot and cold items...from what I remembered the hot included a chicken wing, fried little fish (whole...head on and all - but they were good), a baked tomato thingy. The cold included hummus, tabboleah(sp) salad, pita bread, stuffed grape leaf. These are only a few of the offering. I really wasn't hungry that day and the tapas with the wonderful salsa they serve you were very sufficient.[/color]

Salsa's is a free restaurant...no extra charge for tapas. Sangria you must pay for...get the pitcher (only about $15 or so) and it is worth it."

That doesn't sound much like the tapas I'm familiar with. Pita bread and grape leaves sound like the food of Greece, not Spain or Portugal. I'm hoping for some pulpo, sardines, chorizo and similar foods.

This is not the Tapas in Spain..........This is just finger food that you put on a small plate........like Spain. Every day you get something a little different.

Just Enjoy:D

Archived