Passport vs Birth Certificate/ID with Celebrity

godawgs2012

Can anyone tell me if they've had an issue using their Birth Certificate and State-Issued ID instead of a passport on a closed-loop US based cruise with Celebrity? My wife and I are going on a five-night out of FLL and she has never had a passport and my passport is expired. I've been debating on getting them, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Are there any issues getting off the ship in Mexico without a passport or getting back through customs in the US without a passport? I have done both on different cruise lines, but I wasn't sure if anyone had a recommendation with Celebrity.

Thanks!

Can anyone tell me if they've had an issue using their Birth Certificate and State-Issued ID instead of a passport on a closed-loop US based cruise with Celebrity? My wife and I are going on a five-night out of FLL and she has never had a passport and my passport is expired. I've been debating on getting them, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Are there any issues getting off the ship in Mexico without a passport or getting back through customs in the US without a passport? I have done both on different cruise lines, but I wasn't sure if anyone had a recommendation with Celebrity.

Thanks!

You won't have any problems unless something happens and you have to fly home, get a passport!

Thanks!

Greetings

The current regulations allow you to take a closed loop cruise from a U.S. port using a birth certificate and a state issued picture ID. You also MAY need a copy of your marriage license as a "bridge document" if your wife changed her name.

If everything goes smoothly then there are no issues. But if some unforeseen event occurs then you may really wish you had a passport. What if somehow you are delayed and you miss the ship in a foreign port. How do you fly home without a passport? What if you take ill and have to stay in a foreign port, again how do you get home without a passport? Yes, eventually you will get home, but it will be a hassle. IMO anyone who leaves the country needs to have a passport.

Good Sailing

Tom

On this closed loop cruise your only problem would be that if there are any problems you will have great difficulty flying home from Mexico if you need to. Since the odds of that are probably low, you should be fine, but if you plan to take other cruises, you should consider getting passports

I think Celebrity would want you to have a passport even though it's a closed loop itinerary. What if you miss the ship at a port or you have to fly home unexpectedly in an emergency. It is always your safest bet, IMO, to have your passport as you just never know. The upside is they are good for ten years.

Here's some quotes from Celebrity's web site:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

Celebrity Cruises strongly recommends that all guests travel with a passport that is valid for at least six (6) months beyond the end of their cruise. This greatly assists guests who may need to fly out of the United States to meet their ship at the next available port should they miss their scheduled embarkation in a U.S. port; guests entering the U.S. at the end of their cruise; and guests needing to fly to the U.S. before their cruise ends, because of medical, family, personal or business emergencies, missing a ship's departure from a port of call, involuntary disembarkation from a ship due to misconduct, or other reasons.

Guests who need to fly to the United States before their cruise ends will likely experience significant delays and complications related to booking airline tickets and entering the United States if they do not have a valid U.S. passport with them.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#faq460

Can anyone tell me if they've had an issue using their Birth Certificate and State-Issued ID instead of a passport on a closed-loop US based cruise with Celebrity?

No, my daughter used her BC and DL in March without any trouble. ;)

Ya I am with the opinion that if you are not going to use it or need it for future travels, just go with the BC and ID. Have issues just stay on the boat. You do what makes you feel, good.

But with some "issues," you can't just "stay on the boat." You might have to GET OFF the boat in a foreign country, and fly home. (Or you might have BEEN OFF the boat and suffered an injury requiring hospitalization.) And if you don't have a passport with you, it will be much harder.

Can you do a closed loop cruise without a passport? Yes you can. Is it wise to do so? I'm in the camp that says if you leave the country, you should take a passport with you. Stuff happens.

My wife and I went on a closed loop trip to Hawaii out of San Diego, with the only foreign stop being a few hours in Mexico on way back. We had passports, but there was a couple there who did not, relying on a phone conversation with Celebrity that birth certificates were enough for the trip. They had arrived late and there were not a lot of passengers going through at that time.

Before this couple was even able to get to the registration area and talk to actual Celebrity personnel, a guard was refusing to let them pass the first checkpoint without them presenting a passport. The guard was full of misinformation, saying the ship at the dock was "sitting in international waters", and that they could not board without a passport, etc. I tried to intercede with the guard and help out otherwise, saying that at worst they might have to stay on board during the short stop in Mexico.

I hope they were able to eventually get this straightened out quickly and board the ship, but they didn't have a lot of time, and I honestly don't recall seeing them again during the trip.

So, you could be dead right with the documents you do have, but could still miss the departure because of something stupid like this. I would never cruise without a passport after seeing this happen.

If you do go without one, ARRIVE EARLY.

I don't think Celebrity is any better or any worse on this issue than any other cruise line; it is pretty much up to the individual employees that you encounter. Some will let you pass even when your documents are not are not fully compliant, and some will give you a hard time even when your documents are fully adequate (as noted by SurfeitLE above)

Disregarding the small (but possible) chance of needing a passport to unexpectedly fly home, the primary problem encountered on any cruise line going the Birth Certificate route is that the document you present might be deemed to not be an official Government BC. There are so many different types of official BCs (some with raised seals, some without) issued in the US that I question if any cruise line can tell subtle differences; might work in your favor, might not. I can find no mention of the Bridge Documents mentioned by tunaman2011 directly on the Celebrity website, but they are required by the sailing contract (that long bunch of legal words [that no one reads] that you have to agree to get your sailing documents); they are usually not asked for, but can be, and you could be denied boarding without them. An expired passport is accepted by the US State Department as proof of citizenship for passport renewal for 5 years after expiration; you'd think that therefore it would suffice for close loop cruise purposes, but I've been told it does not - not sure what the legal answer is.

A major advantage of a passport at the port of departure is the elimination of most of the worry about whether your documents will pass muster. I have had an active passport for over 45 years and use it often (both where required for international air travel, and where it is nice to have for closed loop cruises). So my pro-rated per use expense is pretty low. I understand that for people taking ONE (or only a few) closed loop cruises, the per use expense is relatively high, and I can understand not wishing to spend money you don't have to. I personally think it is worth it to have a passport for any one of the following reasons: 1) elimination of worry about being able to board, 2) elimination of hassle if there is an emergency requiring a flight back to the US and 3) the ability to take that sudden deal too good to pass up that does require a passport. However bottom line for one specific closed loop cruise, an official BC, a Government issued photo ID and Bridging Documents are all that is required.

If you get on the ship you should have NO problem as an in-transit passenger in Mexico. You will have to have your ship ID [aka your room key] to get off the ship [it is scanned by the ship to keep track of who is off the ship], and that is it - you are in Mexico with no check by Mexican authorities. If Mexico did do a document check, it would be to make sure that you have cash and/or credit cards:p; they want you to come and spend money! To get back on pier you will have to show your ship ID to Security at the head of the pier [these are Mexicans employed by the pier; they are not Immigration officials] and once again produce your ship ID to get on the ship itself. After all the previous checks you have been through the main issues on re-entry to the US are having agricultural products (fruits, meats, illegal drugs) and undeclared purchases; I avoid those pitfalls and have never had a hassle getting back to the US.

What ever route you take, enjoy your cruise!

Thom

...the primary problem encountered on any cruise line going the Birth Certificate route is that the document you present might be deemed to not be an official Government BC. There are so many different types of official BCs (some with raised seals, some without) issued in the US that I question if any cruise line can tell subtle differences; might work in your favor, might not.

I'd like to emphasize this part of your clear and thorough post and add that if there is anything unusual about your BC (e.g. misspelling, unusual location) that is an argument in favor of getting a passport (or even a passport card) because the BC goes through a vetting process to ensure its validity.

I'd like to emphasize this part of your clear and thorough post and add that if there is anything unusual about your BC (e.g. misspelling, unusual location) that is an argument in favor of getting a passport (or even a passport card) because the BC goes through a vetting process to ensure its validity.
Thanks for the kind words:) Yes, finding out that your BC does NOT pass muster is much less traumatic sitting in the passport office two months before the cruise (when you can still do something about it), than finding out on the pier and seeing your vacation sail away without you.:(

Thom

I think Celebrity would want you to have a passport even though it's a closed loop itinerary.

They do strongly suggest that you have a passport. But WANTING you to have one is not the same as REQUIRING you to have one.

As for the example given above where a security guard wouldn't let someone through without one, I have to think that it was a case of a non-official birth certificate accompanying their photo ID or something like that. Assuming you have an appropriate photo ID and BC you should not have any trouble.

So...what makes the ID and BC "appropriate?" Photo ID needs to be a valid, government issued ID like a driver's license or military ID. Alternatively, if you work for a govt institution and have an employee ID, that ID is technically a government issued ID but I would suggest not pushing the limits by trying to board with it. I'm sure some folks have done it, but I wouldn't push my luck. Likewise with the BC... it must be the official/certified BC from municipality (city/county/state) you were born in...not a hospital BC, not a photo copy etc. Some states issue both a long form BC and short form BC, with the shorter one being credit card sized and having limited information on it. These may or may not carry the official seal. Again, while I'm sure lots of people have boarded with a short form BC, I would guess that they raise more questions so wouldn't push my luck.

I think Celebrity would want you to have a passport even though it's a closed loop itinerary...

They do strongly suggest that you have a passport. But WANTING you to have one is not the same as REQUIRING you to have one....

I don't think Celebrity cares at all if you have a passport or not if one is not required. I think all Celebrity wants is for you to have the documentation required by the United States if boarding in the USA and for it to clearly meet the USA State Department requirements without any questions or judgment required. So if you're wondering if your ID is acceptable look to the state department web site. If you end up at the pier with documents which might not meet the requirements no amount of explanation or excuses is going to help as no one will have the authority to allow you to board if it is not clear you've met the government requirements.

If there is any doubt in your mind about your documents then play it safe and get a passport.

Clearly the majority of travelers here and elsewhere strongly recommend a regular Passport Book (not a passport card) as you would need a passport if for any reason you needed to cross boarders on your own during the cruise because you've missed the ship or had some sort of other issue such as a medical problem.

Passport info, and information as to whether you need one or not, is on this State Department website: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english.html

Edited by Lsimon

I don't think Celebrity cares at all if you have a passport or not if one is not required. I think all Celebrity wants is for you to have the documentation required by the United States if boarding in the USA and for it to clearly meet the USA State Department requirements without any questions or judgment required. So if you're wondering if your ID is acceptable look to the state department web site. If you end up at the pier with documents which might not meet the requirements no amount of explanation or excuses is going to help as no one will have the authority to allow you to board if it is not clear you've met the government requirements.

If there is any doubt in your mind about your documents then play it safe and get a passport.

Agree. I've taken plenty of cruises without PP. Not a big deal. Some act like you would never make it back in case and in case and in case. Do what you want and my DW's didn't have same last name. No big deal.

My goal is to get on the boat and go.

I don't think Celebrity cares at all if you have a passport or not if one is not required.

Actually their website/cruise doc verbiage (I think someone posted it above) says they strongly encourage you to have a passport, so I think it's safe to say they do "want" you to have one, but as I stated before- that's not the same as requiring you to have one. Certainly makes it easier on them if people do, because there is less chance of someone arriving to check in and finding out the ID they thought was the correct one isn't, supervisors have to be called, other pax are held up in line, and so forth.

Well on top of my self bringing my BC, I have went out and got a enhance ID,it just arrived today:). I live In Seattle,WA,so here in the state of Washington you only need a enhance card to travel by sea or land.

I assume you mean an enhanced driver's license (EDL)?

It is valid to enter the US by sea and land.

Ya I am with the opinion that if you are not going to use it or need it for future travels, just go with the BC and ID. Have issues just stay on the boat. You do what makes you feel, good.

I'm pretty sure that if you don't have the proper documents for every port of call the ship is scheduled to make they will not let you on the ship. You can't just get on without the documents needed for one port with the expectation that you just won't be able to get off at that port. I believe that the cruise lines commit to checking that all passengers have the proper documents before the cruise begins so that the local ports can rely on them and as a result only audit their procedures rather than requiring inspection of everyones' documents at every visit. Seems to me that this would be why you almost never have to present documents when arriving, or leaving the ship, at a port of call.

Well on top of my self bringing my BC, I have went out and got a enhance ID,it just arrived today:). I live In Seattle,WA,so here in the state of Washington you only need a enhance card to travel by sea or land.

And that Enhanced Driver's License will do nothing for you if you find yourself outside the U.S. and need to fly home unexpectedly.