Scooter Rentals

Beachdude

Hi All

I've been reading the threads about renting a scooter in Bermuda and decided to risk a try for a day. What rental agencies have you experienced and recommend?

Thanks a head for your help.

Burt

We just got back from our cruise this sunday. Renting a scooter out was the best part of the trip for us. We used oleanders. I had reserved before we left. Was a bit of a line to get the scooter when we got their wednesday. We ate breakfast and stayed on the ship a little thinking we would let the other passengers off the boat first. Got to olenders at around 10:30. Took an hour to get through the line.

Scooter was a pretty used one, but started up each day no problems and drove just fine. We got the scooter at certain parts up to 75 kph which I think is like 40 mph or so. They just lacked power going up hills a bit with two people on them. Other than that is was the perfect way to see the island. We could ride by the crowed beaches and go further up south road and find beaches that were almost empty. Road up to st george the first day (took a while to get all the way up there). Three days of heavy riding and we only needed to gas up once.

Some of the locals with their scooters (looked like most at 125's) had lots of power and would pass all over the place. We were moving well enough that no cars or busses passed us but the local scooters were another story. They were moving. One almost caused a crash as he passed us and a truck on the right. but unfortunately the truck was turning right so the truck turned into the scooter and there was another car coming from the other direction. Lots of brakes and skidding. They also (locals on scooters) would pass on turns and places i never would, even with more power on the scooter.

Not all side roads were marked well also. A few times we passed side streets we wanted to take and had to pull off, look at the map and go yup - turn around. Locals were all very nice and they somebody saw us looking at the map they would pull off and ask if we needed help with dirctions.

There are a ton of locals with scooters and lots with rentals. Only once saw a rental scooter crashed. Was on the side of the road with police and ambulance and the scooter was smashed up pretty good. Couldn't tell how the rider made out.