I lose my insurance if I upgrade?

We have our first Royal Caribbean cruise booked (through a TA) for September. Our official "final payment date" is June 21st. Our cabin category is sold out, but the next highest one is $25 less per person. Called out TA to find out if we could upgrade and get a refund for the $50 (or an OBC). She called customer service and they told her that we would have to cancel our cruise, using our insurance, and then re-book. We would basically save $50 but have to spend $120 on insurance for the new cruise. This seems crazy to me, especially since we could cancel without penalty if we did not have insurance.

I've done this sort of thing with other cruise lines several times without any issues. Is this typical for Royal Caribbean or does customer service not know what they are talking about? I never use a TA, but had a special circumstance this time that required it.

Royal Caribbean is not making a very good impression for a new customer....

Have you paid final?

That information is not correct...the TA may have other rules, but no, you do not have to cancel and rebook.

If you've PAID final, but the date as you said has not gotten here yet, you should be able to upgrade....

NOW if you're booked into a group with the TA then all bets are off.....but the TA should be able to handle this....

And yes, sometimes you'll get different answers from Royal, and the TA....and the advice is to generally keep calling back...

You can cancel without penalty, but you should be able to upgrade...that said, the TA may well have you in a group, and that may be causing the problem.....

Edited by megr1125

I upgraded cabins this morning on the phone with RC. Our final payment isn't until later this month, but we had already paid in full. I was able to do the upgrade without canceling anything, but the price of our cruise care insurance through RC did go up a little bit.

We do not buy insurance before final payment. It sounds like this has something to do with your travel agent NOT RCI.

Even if it is past final payment, and you bought RCI insurance, you can upgrade and pay the difference for the cruise and the difference in the insurance, if you booked thru RCI, not sure about all travel agents.

Sounds like a TA deal, not RcL...since you are before final payment you should be able to upgrade & I "think" get a refund...not 100% positive on the refund part as the rules have changed so much I've given up trying to keep them all straight...but since it's before final you should pretty much be able to make any changes you want without penalty...I would ask your TA to call again...and possibly even request a 3 way call...

Edited by kc320

Thanks for the replies. We are not part of a group booking with the TA. I have paid my final payment, but the final payment date is not until the 21st. She said that she called and spoke with two different agents at RC, the first told her that there was no price reduction (which is not the case), then the second told her that the booking would have to be cancelled and re-booked - effectively losing our insurance. This is why I don't use a TA! I would call back again and argue with them for the $50, but she's not willing to do that. Guess I just learned a $50 lesson....

She got incorrect info, she MAY have you in a group with her agency, or she doesn't want to be bothered....

The rate may be new bookings only, but frankly, they're FAIRLY liberal with that.....It's up to you but she has gotten incorrect info....

She got incorrect info, she MAY have you in a group with her agency, or she doesn't want to be bothered....

The rate may be new bookings only, but frankly, they're FAIRLY liberal with that.....It's up to you but she has gotten incorrect info....

This is a one person agency so I'm sure that I'm not in a group booking. She does not specialize in cruises. I think that the bottom line is that it's not worth it to her to call back to save me $50. Won't be using this agency again and I would actually prefer to handle it myself anyway. Had a special circumstance and had to use a travel agent for this trip or I would have booked this myself directly.

Glad that this is not a RC issue!

If you are not past final payment with the cruise line then you should be able to do anything you want with your booking that you could do as if you have not paid final. You should be able to upgrade and the $50 should be credited back to your card, as final for the cruise line has not passed yet. If it had passed, you would not be able to get anything back and it is in doubt whether they would upgrade you.

Your agent is either unwilling to do this (which will result in a reduction of comission) or is not asking the right questions to get the right answer.

As the others have mentioned, this doesn't sound right at all, and it is certainly not RCIs policy. Because you are outside the final payment date, you should be able to get the price reduction regardless of whether or not you have paid in full ahead of final payment date.

This is a one person agency so I'm sure that I'm not in a group booking. She does not specialize in cruises. I think that the bottom line is that it's not worth it to her to call back to save me $50. Won't be using this agency again and I would actually prefer to handle it myself anyway. Had a special circumstance and had to use a travel agent for this trip or I would have booked this myself directly.

Glad that this is not a RC issue!

Got it....