Reading on your Cruise?

AlohaPride

Does anyone read the Outlander series?? Will you be reading the newest book immediately OR saving it for your next cruise?? With only 75 days until we sail, I don't know if I can wait that long (or if I should wait that long). :p

Edited by AlohaPride

Does anyone read the Outlander series?? Will you be reading the newest book immediately OR saving it for your next cruise?? With only 75 days until we sail, I don't know if I can wait that long (or if I should wait that long). :p

Are you going to watch the TV series?

I read the first couple of books in the series many years ago.

Don't deny yourself that long! I have a Kindle full of books to read on cruises and also bring several paperbacks for the long air flights as mine doesn't seem to hold a charge all that long. Found out it's great for a nightlight when I wake up in the middle of the night unable to sleep and it doesn't disturb DH the say a regular light would. I love the libraries on HAL but on the one voyage there was a Noro outbreak, they closed the library, so like to have my own stash of reading material.

LOL! I have a nook with a light and LOVE it!! I'm going to load it with tons of books. I think I should read Written In My Own Heart's Blood before the cruise. If I don't, I'll miss a lot of Alaska stuck inside the book.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I've never used my Kindle Fire for reading books. I didn't think about doing this on a cruise. I usually check out books from the library. Does it have a good light to read by? The light for playing games is excellent.

I've never used my Kindle Fire for reading books. I didn't think about doing this on a cruise. I usually check out books from the library. Does it have a good light to read by? The light for playing games is excellent.

Kindle fire is great for reading - although there can be a bit of glare in sunlight, I'll just look for a shady place. I'm on my second one and go to a couple of free/discounted book sites. I have hundreds of books on there depending on my mood, I'm sure to have something.

LOL! I have a nook with a light and LOVE it!! I'm going to load it with tons of books. I think I should read Written In My Own Heart's Blood before the cruise. If I don't, I'll miss a lot of Alaska stuck inside the book.

Good plan, because once you start reading nothing else matters. It would be very sad to miss your cruise. :(

I am an avid reader but find that I hardly touch the books I bring along on cruises. I read at the airport while waiting, and on the plane during boarding. Then I usually watch a movie or fall asleep. Our cruises tend to be very port intensive, so the days are too busy to read - back to the ship, dinner, a little piano bar action and/or show, and off to bed. Sea days, maybe a little reading, but like to be out and about, or play board games or cards.

Now if I were on a world cruise with lots of sea days, then I would read a lot.

Alaska cruises - port days are busy, Glacier Bay and Inside Passage days, there is a lot to see outside.

I'm having the same dilemma! I LOVE Outlander, am re-reading the first one now in anticipation of the series, but we've only a month to our cruise and I'd like to wait for then, but not so sure I can! :eek:

LOL - cruising is the ONLY time I do find time to read. I had no idea Outlander was coming to TV...I guess not "north of the border"...ho hum.

I thought I saw that it was going to be shown in Canada in late August?? I'm really not sure :(

Oh - no - release date in Germany is July 21... to late for my cruise.

And I think, it is too complicated to start in english with this book - I have all others in german (and I would like to have it in real paper in by bookshelf).

But I have a kindle full of books and I want to read a few (in the time "before" kindle" I think I was the only person leaving a cruise with lighter suitcases - I finished one or two books every day and left them at the ships library - a total of 20 books during a 13 day cruise (and it was not a TA - we did a lot of excursions too). We arrived with car at the cruise port, so I had no limitation :D

For me the kindle was the best new thing for years!

Wendy

I've already started the latest book and I'm sure I'll finish before leaving for my cruise in 18 days. I'll need to find something else to read on the plane I guess. :p

Edited by msjekyl

I've already started the latest book and I'm sure I'll finish before leaving for my cruise in 18 days. I'll need to find something else to read on the plane I guess. :p

I recommend The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

Oh - no - release date in Germany is July 21... to late for my cruise.

And I think, it is too complicated to start in english with this book - I have all others in german (and I would like to have it in real paper in by bookshelf).

But I have a kindle full of books and I want to read a few (in the time "before" kindle" I think I was the only person leaving a cruise with lighter suitcases - I finished one or two books every day and left them at the ships library - a total of 20 books during a 13 day cruise (and it was not a TA - we did a lot of excursions too). We arrived with car at the cruise port, so I had no limitation :D

For me the kindle was the best new thing for years!

Wendy

Hi, my name is Mary, and I'm a book hoarder. There is no WAY I'd leave books behind. I just couldn't do it! LOL I admire you and your ability to let them go. :D

Yeah, I'm almost done, too. :/ 5 years of waiting for 3 days of reading ROFL

Yeah, I'm almost done, too. :/ 5 years of waiting for 3 days of reading ROFL

I won't allow myself to read it that fast! It takes too long for another so I make myself take it slow and let the enjoyment last longer. ;)

LOL - cruising is the ONLY time I do find time to read. I had no idea Outlander was coming to TV...I guess not "north of the border"...ho hum.

I've seen some ads on Showcase, so hoping that they will show it here.

Hi, my name is Mary, and I'm a book hoarder. There is no WAY I'd leave books behind. I just couldn't do it! LOL I admire you and your ability to let them go. :D

Oh no - I was that kind of person too - but I always support my local library - so a few times in the year a box of books went to them. And when I moved from one apartment to another I sweared I will never move so many books again (around 100 boxes), so I gave away a lot of them and keep just the "few" books i will not miss (maybe the amount of 50 boxes).

And I try to let one book go, if a new one comes in....

It works.... (thanks Kindle)

Very rare that I read a book twice - so a lot of them are "fast food" books - no fear to let them go.

Wendy

I got hooked on a series while on a HAL ship... and wouldn't you know... they didn't have the next book in their library (gasp)?

I refuse to read out of order. It's just wrong. I even checked the library on my next cruise... no luck. I had to buy one to keep moving in the series. (Now graduate school has interfered with my pleasure reading... but soon, very soon... I'll be back!)

Mary , I just got to the beginning of part 4 and am taking a break. LOL.:)

I love my Kindle paperwhite. I use it for downloading library books and read away. I read a lot on cruises. Of course we tend to take longer cruises with lots of sea days.:p

When we downsized into a condo I had to do away with most of my personal library of books. I just have a few collections I won't give up. The Outlander series, the In Death series by JD Robb, and my entire collected works of Robert A Heinlein. :D

I am willing to read just about anything and therefore never run out of things to read. I learned very early and if I can't find anything else I will read the labels on jars and such while at the table. :eek:

I got hooked on a series while on a HAL ship... and wouldn't you know... they didn't have the next book in their library (gasp)?

I refuse to read out of order. It's just wrong. I even checked the library on my next cruise... no luck. I had to buy one to keep moving in the series. (Now graduate school has interfered with my pleasure reading... but soon, very soon... I'll be back!)

Which series is this??