Carnival Cruise to Alaska in July what do you do on the shipduring Days at Sea?

alexdog

We have cruised many times before but always to warmer climate. I was wondering two things. First, what do you wear on ship...jeans, coats, etc., Is it really cold, just chilly?? Second, what do you do on days at sea.....do people sit on deck?? Any info would be great!

We went in August and wore shorts and jeans. On the excursions we took, we wore jeans, T-shirt with a sweatshirt over the T-shirt in case we got too hot. On sea days we either sat in the hot tub, walked the ship for exercise, listened to music, enjoyed our balcony or took a nap. There's plenty going on like trivia games, etc.

Edited by elliair

We have cruised many times before but always to warmer climate. I was wondering two things. First, what do you wear on ship...jeans, coats, etc., Is it really cold, just chilly?? Second, what do you do on days at sea.....do people sit on deck?? Any info would be great!

If it was me think I would be up on deck watching the scenery and wildlife dressed in multiple layers.

On day 2, you arrive in the beautiful Alaska waters with snow capped mountains on both sides of you and lots of wildlife to see, I watched sea otters playing alongside the ship, sea lions on land and floating objects, we always take decks of cards and play in between the unfolding beauty of that trip. Can you tell I am headed there in 5 days!!? It is a repeat trip for me, taking my grandsons, daughter and traveling with a good friend.:)

We went in the middle of September, one of Carnival's Glacier Bay itineraries.

Sea days we were up on deck with binoculars and cameras, hot chocolate and coffee close at hand. Otters, whales, sea lions, orcas, bears on shore..... what an amazing trip!

Our trip was chilly and drizzly. We wore jeans, t shirts, sweaters or sweatshirts and rain jackets. Only our day in Juneau required more, and it was a solid downpour for over half the day. It didn't even slow us down. ;)

Waterproofed our boots and sneakers before we left.

I also cruised to Alaska in July and it was COLD. No one used any of the pools the entire cruise. Once you reach Alaska, the scenery is wonderful and they have a Naturalist who is on the bridge and points out various things to see. I agree with others who say to have coffee or hot chocolate close at hand and dress in multiple layers. A few people used the hot tubs, but it was too breezy & rainy to really enjoy them. It never really gets dark so you can spend many hours enjoying the sights. Of course, they still have most of the activities you'd experience on Caribbean cruises as well (bingo, shows, comedians, trivia, etc.) Regardless of the weather, I'm sure you will love being in Alaska. :D

Just stare in awe at the amazing, passing scenery :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

On the first sea day going north the seas can be kind of rough. Expect rain and wind and be happy if get sunny and wind - but there will probably be wind! We spend a lot of our time on the ship watching the world go by with cameras and binoculars in hand. If you don't have a balcony find a few places to sit near the side and look out.

When we sailed in July last year we wore jeans and fleece pullovers or windbreakers on the first sea day. I was just looking at pictures and it looks like we explored the ship, played a few games, sat out on Serenity and read/napped, ate and ate again, did a few ship activities, watched the world go by, we even saw a whale on the first day. It's a much more laid back cruise than the warmer cruises. For most of the trip people wore jeans or pants and were pretty casual. People did dress up for dinner, but it wasn't required.

Have fun!

It really depends on the weather as to what you might wear. If the weather turns rainy, it will be hard to sit outside, but Carnival has so many trivia things going on all day. My DW won't miss a 'High Tea' which always happens at 3:00PM on all sea days.

Ourselves, we usually always book inside cabins so we are always up on deck somewhere. if the weather is cool, we look for a spot out of the wind and just sit and read and admire the magnificent scenery. if it is nice and sunny, we move into the sun areas and start removing those jackets.

The true joy of an Alaskan cruise is to just sit and watch the scenery, look for whales, sea lions and any other assorted sea life that may happen by.

Cheers

Len

I was on the Miracle for 3 weeks. The "reports" and "recommendations" above really do NOT pertain to the poor itinerary the ship is sailing this year. There are 3 open ocean sea days, with essentially nothing much going on. Scenic sailing is skimpy with the Tracy Arm day, being the only full scenery day. In my opinion, it is "necessary" to book the add on ship excursion, otherwise, be well prepared to get no where near any glacier viewing.