Money no object. What excursions would you do? I will pay for your advice!

secondchance2014

No, I am not loaded with $$$ but this trip is on my bucket list and I want to do it right. If I am going to spend thousands of dollars on the trip of a lifetime, I want to reward you for helping me make the most of this experience. Whomever posts their suggested itinerary for us that closest matches our final itinerary will receive a $50 via paypal or check in the mail! So, please give me some suggestions and help make this the best trip of my life! And, one person will get paid $50!

Here is some history to help guide you:

Personal Background: I am getting a 2nd chance in life and have booked a Silver Seas cruise to celebrate my 20th anniversary with my wife in August. Candidly, I don't expect to be physically able to make this trip again so want to make the most of it.

Medical Requirements: I travel with medical equipment which is one of the reasons why we passed on the Denali train. It would have been incredible but impractical. I can handle pushing myself for 1 full day excursion but not back-to-back full days.

Interests: We love everything about nature. Our top 2 interests are watching bears catch salmon and seeing the iceburgs calving. My wife did read about a tour of the ice caves under Mendenhall Glacier which sounded amazing. We aren't set on Mendenhall but love the idea of being under & inside the glaciers. I like the idea of helicopter to glacier but not sure if it is really as great as it sounds.

Here is our preliminary itinerary to be tweaked based on your input:

8/25 Arrive Anchorage 8pm

8/26 Rest/Relax/Acclimate: 2-4 hour excursion (Open to suggestions)

8/27 (Open to suggestions for all day excursion)

Possibly http://www.phillipscruises.com Any better ideas?

8/28 Take train at 1pm from Anchorage to Seward to board Silver Shadow

8/29 Hubbard Glacier (Cruising on ship)

8/30 Sitka 1pm-6pm (Wife wants to do a Kayak tour but I think we won't see much. I was thinking of a small boat rental to see everything. Thoughts?)

8/31 Juneau 8am-11pm Totally Confused:

Tracy Arm fjord and/or ice caves under Mendenhall or combo? Which tour?

9/1 Skagway 7am-3pm (Wife found "Alaska through a lens" to Haines which sounded lame to me. I was thinking of Chilkoot Bus Up/Train Down. Not sure which of the many tours.)

9/2 Ketchikan Noon-4pm [Neets Bay Bear Watch by Floatplane]

9/3 Inside Passage (Cruising on ship)

9/4 Vancouver

Thank you in advance

Edited by secondchance2014

Congrats on your 2nd chance and hope it's a wonderful trip.

First of all, not interested in the $50. Is your itinerary set in stone? Since bear viewing is your main priority, why not fly into Anc a few days early and do an overnight trip to Silver Salmon Creek Lodge or one of the other remote lodges?

http://silversalmoncreek.com/

Granted the overnight stays are pricey, BUT, you get so much more viewing time. And you don't have to worry about missing out on viewing time because of a bear jam at the entrance to the platforms, or waiting for people to clear out to get a turn. It's primo viewing. And you'd be seeing grizzly bears not black bears. Give it some thought.

p.s. here's another lodge http://alaskahomesteadlodge.com/

Edited by mapleleaves
homestead

For 8-27:

It looks like you are interested in a Prince William Sound glacier cruise, which is a great choice!!

You've got some options here. Phillips 26 Glacier Cruise visits 26 different glaciers. So you get a lot of variety. But you don't spend much time at any one glacier, which could preclude seeing any calving.

Major Marine gives you more time in front of one glacier, so the chances of seeing calving is better. https://www.majormarine.com/pws/

And then there is option of going with a smaller boat. Lazy Otter is a good choice here: http://www.lazyotter.com/prince-william-sound-custom-tour.html

You didn't mention if you were renting a car or looking for another form of transportation... I would personally recommend renting a car for maximum flexibility. The train is the second best option (in my opinion).

Someone mentioned doing a fly-in bear viewing trip. That's on my bucket list! But it's pricey and you'd have to alter your schedule a bit.

On 8/26: This is where the rental car would really come in handy. It gives you a lot more options.

Let me back up... If it was me, I'd overnight the first night in Anchorage. Then use the rental car to explore Turnagain Arm, south of Anchorage. Then you could overnight in Girdwood (maybe here: http://www.alyeskaresort.com/) and go from there to Whittier in the morning for the glacier cruise. Then you could go back up to Anchorage that night. That would give you plenty of time for exploring Portage/Girdwood/Whittier/Turnagain Arm.

Juneau: One of the best excursions that we did was 5 Glacier Flightseeing with Taku lodge and Salmon Bake. This has everything. Glaciers, Bears and Salmon. The Black Bears were so close, the salmon was amazing and the views incredible.

This is only a half day trip, so you have plenty of time for Mendenhall Glacier and maybe even the Mt. Roberts Tram.

Have the time of your lives. My DH didn't want to go to Alaska, now he won't stop talking about what a great time we had. Checked one off the Bucket List.

Let me further elaborate. I have to travel with medical equipment and perform therapies each day. The therapies require 1 hour in the am and 1 hour in the pm. In addition it takes about 1 hour to setup and 1/2 to disassemble if we travel. Therefore, it is much easier to have a base camp (in this case 3 nights hotel in Anchorage and 7 nights aboard a ship). That is why I can't do overnight trips because of the work required to assemble & disassemble the equipment. I will gladly PM anybody who has questions but prefer not to post medical issues on the internet...

I have a car reservation at AVIS in Anchorage for 8/26 & 8/27. Sorry for not posting that previously.

Please keep the ideas coming.

SITKA <<I was thinking of a small boat rental to see everything. Thoughts? >>

you want to rent a boat on your own ? I would suggest an independent small boat excursion, where the capt will have local knowledge, as well as contact with other capts to know where the wildlife is. You could wander around for hours and see little.

There are 3 or 4 trip reports of Silver Seas cruises (with photos) from last year .

I don't know if their excursions match yours, but it's worthwhile to read the reports and view the photos. Might give you some ideas. Go to the STICKY above. Reply #45 has the trip reports sorted by cruiseline.

Edited by mapleleaves

Juneau - did you consider a helicopter landing on the glacier (is that doable for you?)? It is the one AK excursion I will never forget.

Ketchikan - I would also consider the Misty Fords float plane. Lands in a remote lake for a photo op. Great scenery on entire flight.

Skagway - I would do the train, but train up (sit on left side of train) and bus down.

DaveOKC

Ketchikan - consider hiring a fishing boat skipper to take you on a scenery and wildlife tour of the area. We have scheduled 1/2 day private fishing tours and then spent the rest of our day with the skipper showing us the finest in scenery and wildlife. Many of the fishing boats have good "heads" and are relatively comfortable for a day on the water. There are recommendations of specific companies on this Alaska board.

Alaska isn't Alaska without some sort of floatplane excursion. I would not scrimp on a floatplane excursion. Schedule a floatplane and make certain you have plenty of time in the air to see something of Alaska beyond the standard tourist destinations.

Let me further elaborate. I have to travel with medical equipment and perform therapies each day. The therapies require 1 hour in the am and 1 hour in the pm. In addition it takes about 1 hour to setup and 1/2 to disassemble if we travel. Therefore, it is much easier to have a base camp (in this case 3 nights hotel in Anchorage and 7 nights aboard a ship). That is why I can't do overnight trips because of the work required to assemble & disassemble the equipment. I will gladly PM anybody who has questions but prefer not to post medical issues on the internet...

I have a car reservation at AVIS in Anchorage for 8/26 & 8/27. Sorry for not posting that previously.

Please keep the ideas coming.

Got it. I would still use the 27th for a Prince William Sound glacier cruise. For the 26th, maybe a drive north to Hatcher's Pass or the Matanuska Glacier. The Alaska State Fair will also be going on at that time in Palmer: http://www.alaskastatefair.org/site/

Oh, and good on ya for getting out enjoying Alaska despite the medical condition!

For reasons that I can't explain, I am unable to edit my original post so am posting a modified itinerary based on everybody's input:

8/26 Rest/Relax/Acclimate (P/U Rental Car):

Possibly Short day excursion:

Hatcher's Pass or

Matanuska Glacier (2 hours each way likely too much for first day)

8/27 Explore Prince William Sound (Return Rental Car):

Doing one of the following:

www.phillipscruises.com

www.majormarine.com/pws/

http://www.lazyotter.com/

8/30 Sitka 9:30am-5pm

Charter small boat with captain

$1,000 for Captain Davey http://www.puffinsandwhales.com sounds steep.

Other suggestions?

8/31 Juneau 8am-11pm

AM Taku Lodge Feast & 5 Glacier Discovery (Floatplane)

PM Heli-Flight & Mendenhall Glacier Walk

9/1 Skagway 7am-3pm

Chilkoot Bus Up/Train Down or some combination

9/2 Ketchikan Noon-4pm

Neets Bay Bear Watch by Floatplane

9/4 Vancouver

Also, I will ask you collectively to decide who is the winner and I will send them $50!

Thanks again for helping.

Anthony

For reasons that I can't explain, I am unable to edit my original post so am posting a modified itinerary based on everybody's input:

8/26 Rest/Relax/Acclimate (P/U Rental Car):

Possibly Short day excursion:

Hatcher's Pass or

Matanuska Glacier (2 hours each way likely too much for first day)

8/27 Explore Prince William Sound (Return Rental Car):

Doing one of the following:

www.phillipscruises.com

www.majormarine.com/pws/

http://www.lazyotter.com/

8/30 Sitka 9:30am-5pm

Charter small boat with captain

$1,000 for Captain Davey http://www.puffinsandwhales.com sounds steep.

Other suggestions?

8/31 Juneau 8am-11pm

AM Taku Lodge Feast & 5 Glacier Discovery (Floatplane)

PM Heli-Flight & Mendenhall Glacier Walk

9/1 Skagway 7am-3pm

Chilkoot Bus Up/Train Down or some combination

9/2 Ketchikan Noon-4pm

Neets Bay Bear Watch by Floatplane

9/4 Vancouver

Also, I will ask you collectively to decide who is the winner and I will send them $50!

Thanks again for helping.

Anthony

There is a time limit for editing I believe but you can quote and add to it as long as you type something outside the quote as well.

8/26 Rest/Relax/Acclimate: 2-4 hour excursion (Open to suggestions)

8/27 (Open to suggestions for all day excursion)

Possibly http://www.phillipscruises.com Any better ideas?

8/30 Sitka 1pm-6pm (Wife wants to do a Kayak tour but I think we won't see much. I was thinking of a small boat rental to see everything. Thoughts?)

8/31 Juneau 8am-11pm Totally Confused:

Tracy Arm fjord and/or ice caves under Mendenhall or combo? Which tour?

9/1 Skagway 7am-3pm (Wife found "Alaska through a lens" to Haines which sounded lame to me. I was thinking of Chilkoot Bus Up/Train Down. Not sure which of the many tours.)

9/2 Ketchikan Noon-4pm [Neets Bay Bear Watch by Floatplane]

9/4 Vancouver

First day in Anchorage.....I don't know about your mobility, but check out Rust's flying service...They do day bear viewing trips and August is prime bear viewing.....You can take another tour and fly up through Denali....assuming the weather is good.....but I sure would contact them to see what they can do....and they can do almost anything you would like to do....

second day in Anchorage....I would (if it were me) go to Kenai Fjords for one of their longer day trips....Again, you can have Rust's fly you down in order to make the boat or the Kenai Fjords will arrange transportation....It is one of the better boats for seeing wildlife...at least marine wildlife. You normally see orcas, humpbacks, marine birds, occasionally goats and bears on the shore...also a sea lion rookery....talk with them, look at their brochures and do the longest that you can do....which will take you out to open ocean...If you are prone to being sea sick, don't do the longest...but call them and discuss your needs and wants...

Don't know about Sitka....

but Juneau....Call Coastal helicopters....arrange for one of their dog sled and glacier tours....It is outstanding...unbelievable, and if you aren't on a dog sled on a glacier in August, you just haven't lived...It is the state sport and Coastal is (I think) the best. They have taken some very, very famous people on their trips and it is run by Sebastian Schnuelle, one of the most famous dog sled people around the world....Look him up on you tube and google his name...

Skagway....go for the touristic WhitePass RR.....It is an amazing ride...and you still have time to check out Soapy's grave sight...:) or take a short trip with Dolly.....a character for sure who does a short land tour in Skagway who is a hoot...

Ketchikan..Get out in the water and see all you can see. Floatplanes are great..the marine wildlife is great.....You can't go wrong....

Lastly, have a wonderful time in our land, and stop in at the visitor center in Anchorage......Oh, also in Anchorage if you have an hour or two, Jeff Schultz, the famous Iditarod photographer and a couple of his photographer friends, are giving lessons in photography in the park....Since you are going to see so much, never hurts to have a few hints from a world famous photographer...

Actually, switch the Denali fly by and the bear watching trip days.....The Denali visit would not take that long, and the bear trip would be a much longer time depending on where you would go....and there would be several choices...And, remember it will be light here till 11 or so.....:) so you can start out much later....and see just as much....

8/27 a generality but ......Phillips does the 26 glacier cruise which is primarily about getting to all 26 glaciers. Major Marine visits fewer glaciers but when you come across wildlife/sealife the boat will stop to enjoy the moment rather than race off to the next glacier.

8/28 1pm train to Seward ?? The train leaves at 6:45am

$1000 in Sitka?? There are other tour operators. http://www.sitka.org. Include visits to the Raptor Center and Fortress of the Bears.

Be sure you have back up plans for each port. You're into the rainy season so flightseeing can be cancelled. Hopefully not, but best to be prepared.

In Sitka I believe the price you are quoting for Captain Davey would be to charter the whole boat which generally accommodates 6 passengers. If it is just you and your wife there is a per person rate that would normally apply if you were sharing the boat with others. If that is something you really want to do, (and I hear it is a great trip), I would give them a call and see if you can book just you and your wife. Certainly when there are ships in port I'm sure they have no problem filling up the boat so you would not need to charter the entire vessel for just the two of you.

A huge vote of confidence and recommendation for Capt. Davey in Sitka. Unless you want to rent the boat privately for the day, he can and will find others to fill the six passenger maximum. I've gone with him twice and would not hesitate to book with Capt. Davey again. We saw plenty of humpbacks and my first gray whale, along with numerous sea otters, sealions, and puffins galore. The boat is very comfortable with plenty of room to move around both inside and out. There is a small 'head' on board, and he provides snacks and beverages. Capt. Davey is very interesting, personable and knowledgeable, and oh, the fresh baked chocolate chip cookies his wife and daughters delivered warm to the pier before we left didn't suck either;).

I'll throw one other suggestion out....on 08/27 you might consider hiring Salmonberry Tours to drive you on a day trip from Anchorage, down to your departure town. We hired them from Seward to Anchorage and it was great. Left all our stuff in their big SUV and were driving to the Wildlife Conservation Center, and Alyeska Resort for a ride up the tram, lunch at a local cafe in Girdwood. Then perhaps you could stay the night and take a short tour before you get on the ship.

For me, if money was no option, I would book 2 cruises, one north and one south, and then we spread out the days a bit more and 2 chances to take tours at all the stops, but that's my dream trip. :-)

We did the Chilkoot bus up and train back. I was really glad we picked the shorter train ride. It was glorious for about the first 45 minutes and then we were tired. They did allow me to go to the little platform on the outside of the car and take pictures. Then in Skagway, we had lunch at the Skagway Brewery and did some shopping. It was a nice relaxed day. Also there is a grocery store there in Skagway if you need anything.

But could you tell me more about the Mendenhall ice cave tour you mentioned? We've been to Mendenhall and I was considering re-visiting it again, but the ice cave sounds really interesting.

But could you tell me more about the Mendenhall ice cave tour you mentioned? We've been to Mendenhall and I was considering re-visiting it again, but the ice cave sounds really interesting.

My research today on the ice caves was such that you can only get there by hiking 6-8 hours or possibly going via kayak (but you need to be experienced). It is too physically demanding for me to consider.

Here are some links that might help you:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5401454

http://beyondak.com/trips/mendenhall-glacier-trek/

Hope this helps.

Thanks everybody...

I am going to Alaska for the 2nd time and I happened to love the Hotel Ayleska! So we are going back. So if you can stay at this Hotel. It is the grand of the grands. Beautiful and star 5 with beautiful views and also a tram that takes you up to the ski lodge. Have a meal up there and take in the sights. The lodge itself has huge fireplaces and very nice restaurants. We also took the shutter bus down to the town and ate dinner among the town people. We loved the area and wished we would of had more time there. You will not be disappointed.

I hope you have a wonderful time whatever you choose to do.