Clothes that shriek TOURIST!

ekkc10753

I work in downtown Vancouver next to the cruise terminal. From April to October tourists abound. Easily spotted standing on street corner with map in hand. Locals invariably approach and ask if we can help.:D

Edited by Marco's Tia

I live near Seattle and the joke around here is that you can always tell the tourists from the locals because they are the only ones that use umbrellas.

So true lol Our friends were visiting from Ontario last month and while we were out site-seeing, they looked around and then realized they were the only ones in raincoats and umbrella's!!

Can we have a link to these WHITE sneakers. Or a photo.

Don't think you can buy them over here :)

LOL :D:D:D

These are ladies white sneakers which you can buy in most department stores in the U.S.

http://www.jcpenney.com/jsp/search/results.jsp?fromSearch=true&Ntt=sneakers&ruleZoneName=XGNSZone&N=1405&cm_mmc=google%20non-brand-_-g_footwear_neutral_shoes-_-g_white_sneakers_bmod-_-white+sneakers&gclid=CKKwv4Tx974CFYMSOgodQyAA6A&cvosrc=ppc.google.+white%20+sneakers&matchtype=b&cskid=707989962

Men's white sneakers are usually higher & every department store carries them:

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/jsp/search/results.jsp?fromSearch=true&Ntt=mens+white+sneakers&ruleZoneName=XGNSZone&_requestid=126783#swatch16780635

New Balance is very popular here in SWFL..

http://www.jcpenney.com/shoes/new-balance/new-balance-577-mens-walking-shoes/prod.jump?ppId=1a77a25&

Edited by serendipity1499

I work in downtown Vancouver next to the cruise terminal. From April to October tourists abound. Easily spotted standing on street corner with map in hand. Locals invariably approach and ask if we can help.:D

Sadly, when I visit your beautiful city, I'm usually dressed so badly I'm more likely to be mistaken for a street person :D

This is so true....DH and I owned an inn on Nantucket Island for almost 20 years...selling it in '12. It's not the clothing that screams "tourist"....it's the mannerisms. Crossing the street...not necessarily on the crosswalk...with map in hand...and disregard for anyone else around them...pedestrians or cars alike.

We recently returned from the Eurodam's Baltic Sea cruise and yes I did try to dress like a local for the times we did our pre- and post- cruise stays in Copenhagen. It really doesn't work. People can spot you a mile off because you are the one looking about going "Oh Wow" or "how cool is that." So I changed my approach. I wear what is comfortable. It some places it was too hot to dress European. In fact, many of the Europeans were dressing more like North Americans to cope with the temperature.

One of the reasons we were our Canadian badges on our bags or lapels is because we found we get treated better when we identify ourselves as Canadians. Also, we are less inviting to pick pockets and scammers because it is believed that the Americans are the ones with the money.

Lastly, a new trend is happening in Denmark and Sweden. It is very popular for young men to wear MLB caps. Doesn't matter what team and they do wear them the right way around.

Chiming in with agreement about the shoes! I met a friend in Paris who told me she at first thought I was a local because I was wearing these kind of dressy black flats with my jeans...she said all tourists are in white running shoes, possibly sandals, but 99% of the time the white running shoes.

And when I travelled in Europe even back in the late 80's / early 90's I met Americans who were wearing Canadian flags on their backpacks. The accepted wisdom was that it was safer and they would be more welcomed.

Thanks for the links. I can't stop laughing. But....the Chuck Taylor's are cool and really shouldn't be categorized with those others.

Plus one of the Dutch princesses, Margriet, was born in Ottawa Civic Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario.

The city of Amsterdam, along with many other Dutch cities in the western part of Holland, was liberated by the 1st Canadian Army in May 1945. My parents experienced it, along with thousands of other Amsterdammers, and were forever grateful to the Canadian soldiers. There is a remembrance ceremony for the fallen every 4th of May, followed by liberation day festivities the next day

Decreed by Canadian parliament.. the maternity floor was deemed Dutch soil while the little princess was being born...securing her place in the succession to the throne.

Every year since, thousands of tulip bulbs are sent to our capitol city of Ottawa as a gesture of gratitude.

My best friend was born in Holland and came to Canada when she was five....her parents told me about being liberated ..but what they remembered most was the behavior of the Canadian troops while they were in Holland.

Being highly regarded as a nation is great ...but it is also nice to know...that if we are ever in a fight we get to stand behind the big guy and say "we're with him":)

Would the whole world could exchange tulips instead of gunfire.

Interesting link to how to dress. I checked out Canada and was quite surprised to see the comment on wearing nylons. Maybe for very formal events and maybe in the cooler seasons. But even at a classical music concert you would see bare legs in summer. don't travel in ritzy circles though so I could be wrong for some circumstances.

I do wonder if we brand ourselves as Canadian by automatically kicking our shoes off when we enter people's houses. Not that that happens very often when touring, and I'm sure other cultures do it as well.

I did smile

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This is so true....DH and I owned an inn on Nantucket Island for almost 20 years...selling it in '12. It's not the clothing that screams "tourist"....it's the mannerisms. Crossing the street...not necessarily on the crosswalk...with map in hand...and disregard for anyone else around them...pedestrians or cars alike.

LOL. So true. What about walking around gawking with Rick Steve's tourist guidebooks in hand!! That's us in Rome....lol

Decreed by Canadian parliament.. the maternity floor was deemed Dutch soil while the little princess was being born...securing her place in the succession to the throne.

Every year since, thousands of tulip bulbs are sent to our capitol city of Ottawa as a gesture of gratitude.

My best friend was born in Holland and came to Canada when she was five....her parents told me about being liberated ..but what they remembered most was the behavior of the Canadian troops while they were in Holland.

Being highly regarded as a nation is great ...but it is also nice to know...that if we are ever in a fight we get to stand behind the big guy and say "we're with him":)

Would the whole world could exchange tulips instead of gunfire.

I don't think Europeans think that way - Canadians were in the fore and not standing behind anyone.;)

I don't think Europeans think that way - Canadians were in the fore and not standing behind anyone.;)

Most certainly' date=' Canadians were often first over the hill in both World Wars..my meaning was to reconize the benefit of our alliance with the USA in today's world...if wearing a Canadian flag keeps one of them safe ..fine by me.:)

Lastly, a new trend is happening in Denmark and Sweden. It is very popular for young men to wear MLB caps. Doesn't matter what team and they do wear them the right way around.

In the mid-1990s, in a subway in Vienna, a gentleman who I think was European, approached me and asked me, in German, what I believe was a question on whether that train would stop somewhere. (I recognized the location name). I responded in what little German I knew that I could that I couldn't help him.

At the time I was wearing a red Chicago Bulls hoodie sweatshirt!

Most certainly, Canadians were often first over the hill in both World Wars..my meaning was to reconize the benefit of our alliance with the USA in today's world...if wearing a Canadian flag keeps one of them safe ..fine by me.:)

OK Now I have a question for you Canadians?

My Father was born & grew up in Toronto & emigrated into the US. in his early 30's..

My Mother was born & grew up in the U.S. & I was born & grew up in the U.S... I've always been proud of my duel heritage & enjoyed several trips across the border, from either N.Y. or Michigan.. As a matter of fact when I was first married in the sixties & living with my new DH, who worked in Detroit, I used to shop for groceries in Windsor as they cost less & we were on a strict budget..

My question is,: Would it be a No No in your eyes if I wore a Canadian Maple Leaf on one lapel & a U.S. flag on the other?

Edited by serendipity1499

OK Now I have a question for you Canadians?

My Father was born & grew up in Toronto & emigrated into the US. in his early 30's..

My Mother was born & grew up in the U.S. & I was born & grew up in the U.S... I've always been proud of my duel heritage & enjoyed several trips across the border, from either N.Y. or Michigan.. As a matter of fact when I was first married in the sixties & living with my new DH, who worked in Detroit, I used to shop for groceries in Windsor as they cost less & we were on a strict budget..

My question is,: Would it be a No No in your eyes if I wore a Canadian Maple Leaf on one lapel & a U.S. flag on the other?

And why not? I think it would be a nice gesture.

Most certainly, Canadians were often first over the hill in both World Wars..my meaning was to reconize the benefit of our alliance with the USA in today's world...if wearing a Canadian flag keeps one of them safe ..fine by me.:)

As much as I admire our wonderful Canadian neighbors I would never try to pass myself off as something that I'm not. I am an American. It seems a little wimpy to me :-) to pretend otherwise to feel safe in this crazy world.