LA Airports

pbmsmile

The "closest" airport to the two Los Angeles ports is actually Long Beach, LGB.

The next two are those you mentioned, LAX and John Wayne in Orange County. They are not "close", but the distances is the greater Los Angeles area are more than most people think.

And just to make it more confusing, Southern California as two more airports - out in the eastern part is Ontario ONT and to the north is Burbank BUR.

Not all airlines serve each of these airports, so your choices may be somewhat limited.....

If you can get the best deal by flying into LAX and flying out of SNA, that would be perfectly reasonable.

LAX is somewhat closer to San Pedro than SNA, but neither is particularly close and SNA is a reasonable choice. Also, SNA is a smaller and newer airport than LAX and easier to navigate.

However, you mentioned SNA (SAN?). Those are 2 different airports and SAN is San Diego which I would not consider an LA area airport. SAN is about 100 miles south and a 2 hour drive AT BEST. Also you are in the zone of shared van shuttles between San Pedro and John Wayne. San Diego International/Lindbergh Field isn't.

SNA is John Wayne/Orange County and is an "LA area" airport. You need to be very sure of what you are doing.

Edited by zephyr17

If you can get the best deal by flying into LAX and flying out of SNA, that would be perfectly reasonable.

LAX is somewhat closer to San Pedro than SNA, but neither is particularly close and SNA is a reasonable choice. Also, SNA is a smaller and newer airport than LAX and easier to navigate.

However, you mentioned SNA (SAN?). Those are 2 different airports and SAN is San Diego which I would not consider an LA area airport. SAN is about 100 miles south and a 2 hour drive AT BEST. Also you are in the zone of shared van shuttles between San Pedro and John Wayne. San Diego International/Lindbergh Field isn't.

SNA is John Wayne/Orange County and is an "LA area" airport. You need to be very sure of what you are doing.

Although SNA is smaller than LAX, SNA is about 10 years older than LAX. Just sayin'.

Although SNA is smaller than LAX, SNA is about 10 years older than LAX. Just sayin'.

I was referring to the terminal, which is what most travelers would be interested in. They built a brand new new terminal in the early 1990s, much later than the current terminal complex at LAX which opened in 1960. I know there has been an airfield at that location for a long, long time. Longer than at Mines Field.

I'm less than a mile from SNA as I type this. It was originally Eddie Martin Field, opened in 1921. LAX was Mines Field, opened in 1930. Both were turned into commercial airports later on (LAX being first, SNA being an Army Air Corps training field).

SNA is far smaller than LAX....assuming it's not rush hour you will spend 10-15 minutes longer on the freeway getting to SNA, but will more than make up the time getting from curbside to your gate.

Terminals at both airports are constantly modernized, so you can't really say one is "older". SNA added a new terminal C last year and refurbished the older terminals. The ones at LAX vary from brand-new to a glorified bus terminal. I personally don't care about when a terminal was built as long as things operate efficiently.

And just to make it more confusing, Southern California as two more airports - out in the eastern part is Ontario ONT and to the north is Burbank BUR.

If your just flying in for a cruise, I wouldn't even consider Ontario or Burbank.

I know it varies but how long would it be to travel from SNA to San Pedro pier? I travel to SNA every 2-3 weeks and it is easy to get in/out and modern since upgrade a year ok. Much prefer to LAX. I also have left from San Pedro and if reasonable I will look into tagging a cruise on to business trip. But one is north LA and other south LA (SNA) and driving to SanPedro took us an hour to get through 5 miles inLA and that was just staying on north side.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Assuming no traffic, drive time to San Pedro is 25 minutes from LAX and 45 minutes from SNA. The much faster time at SNA from plane to curbside and the shorter wait for a shuttle van or taxi more than makes up for the longer drive time. Neither route traverses the downtown area, but we're talking LA....avoiding downtown doesn't automatically avoid traffic tie-ups.

Of course, anything can happen on the freeway from either airport but the driver should be expert on the many alternate routes.

Morning or evening rush hour on weekdays is a very different story. Coming from SNA there is a construction zone to add HOV lanes around the 405/605 junction. From either airport the 110 Freeway does not have HOV lanes. If your trip is during weekday rush hour my vote changes to favor LAX.

I assume you are not using a rental car...SNA is fast and easy (in the basement level of the parking garage, 200m max from baggage claim)....LAX is a major pain and I'd add 30-45 minutes to pick up or drop off the car.

Edited by kenish

Looking at the OP's list of cruises, it looks like they're all on Carnival. So if you're going on a Carnival ship, that means the Port of Long Beach and not the Port of Los Angeles. So you'll probably want to stay in a Long Beach hotel. Obviously Long Beach airport will be the closest but will have fewer choices of flights than going from LAX and I would guess John Wayne/Orange County.

You'll need to know which port no matter which airport you're flying into so your shuttle or taxi driver on your embarkation day takes you to the right place.

Clearly, the OP is on the December 28 Carnival Miracle--therefore is cruising in and out of Long Beach...

Here are the LA area airports and distances from the pier in Long Beach:

Long Beach--11.3 miles (via 405/710)

LAX--22.4 miles

John Wayne (SNA)--31.6 miles

Burbank--40 miles

Ontario--54.6 miles (via 10/605/105/710)

If your best deal and best schedule is via SNA, it's perfectly fine...It may cost you slightly more for your ground transportation...and, say if you are using a shared shuttle, make sure not to board the wrong shuttle at the pier--since most people will be using LAX...

As noted, SNA is a smaller airport than LAX and check-in/security MAY be a bit quicker (though not always)...

LGB is even smaller and closer--but it's hard to find good flights out of LGB to most places...the most flights, times and destinations are found using LAX...

I usually recommend using SNA if you are planning a pre- or post-cruise stay at Disney or other Orange County locations and using Burbank if you plan a pre-or post-cruise stay at Universal or Hollywood...The only people who should use Ontario are those with family in the Inland Empire or some other compelling reason to go there...

BUT, if you can save major money (just remember to add in ground transportation costs and extra time) ...or if you just get the most convenient flights yuou can find by flying in or out of any of these airports, go ahead...each (except maybe Ontario) has its advantages...

Which LA area airport is the closest to the port? I found a great price for my cruise but it flies into LAX and leaves at the end of my trip from SNA (SAN??) :confused:

All of the posters have given good info, but let me add my 2 cents worth. Our apartment is a 10 - 15 minute drive from LGB. We have used all of the LA area airports except Ontario. Yes, there are more flights available at LAX, so if you need to fly at a very specific time that may be the best bet. SNA would place second. BUT, LGB is the easiest to navigate in EVERY way and it is always our first choice. (Not to mention it is the closest to the port.) The last time we flew out of another airport was 2 or 3 years ago and the reason was timing due to DH's work schedule and free parking at his job location which is close to LAX. We probably would not do that again, LAX is just too much of a hassle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...