Very Early Risers

TRacanoUK

I have 2 very early risers (I'm talking 5:30AM). What are some tips you have for keeping them busy/places on the ship that might be good until a normal hour? Are lounges generally open that we could bring them to run around? I just don't want to wake up our neighbors.

Yes- the entire ship will be their playground at that hour. Don't sweat it. Royal Caribbean usually has beverages available at that hour by the pool are (not sure how Allure is set up). The buffet I believe opens at 7 AM on Royal ships.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Another thing to consider is the sea air and excitement really takes a lot out of the kids. Our son gave up naps months before our first cruise, but after spending all day in sun and in pool, he was exhausted and took late naps three days. He also stayed up a bit later and slept much later than he does at home. Not saying this typical, but you never know :)

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Another thing to consider is the sea air and excitement really takes a lot out of the kids. Our son gave up naps months before our first cruise, but after spending all day in sun and in pool, he was exhausted and took late naps three days. He also stayed up a bit later and slept much later than he does at home. Not saying this typical, but you never know :)

I agree. Kids' schedules get all messed up on vacation. Take into consideration any time-zone changes too. You may find that it won't even be an issue.

Thank you! This is a major stressor for me! DH said we should just run a movie for them on the iPad but even then there are inevitable squeals and laughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not stress this. If they wake up, take the for a walk up on deck. WJ might open at 6am (or is it 7am). The ship will be pretty empty then but if weather is nice you can walk around and explore the ship. If they accidentally make too much noise, just apologize to your neighbors - maybe offer to buy them a specialty coffee.

PS: an iPad or portable DVD player is a great idea. Our suite had a PS3 in it, so I brought a bunch of movies and tv shows for our son, and he was usually pretty good just watching them while my wife and I got ready. Bring headphones so that they can also use these in MDR.

The woman who I lovingly refer to as "cough, cough" never bought me a coffee drink. This woman coughed all night long for three out of five nights on my cruise. Before you think I'm being mean... she was out on the deck smoking and this was a self-inflicted smokers cough that I had to put up with. So a baby or toddler's chatter isn't the end of the world. I can tell that the OP is a very polite person. Laughter isn't a nuisance. Sounds like you are the kind of parent who will leave the dining room if a child is throwing a fit. So far I have seen really good parents on cruise ships and have yet to have a meal spoiled by a child. Most of us are patient anyway with a bit of crying. We've all been kids and had kids.

I should add that on our last Royal cruise- there were a group of four adult ladies who played their music when they came in after 1AM. I slept through it but it woke up my son. So kids aren't really the problem on cruise ships IMO.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Early morning is a great time to set them free on the sports court. Or let them play a little ping pong, if they are tall enough

Or sneak them into Solarium before anyone is there to complain about it ;). OK, maybe don't do that...lol