Glacier Bay vs Tracy Arm

go4ak

If you had to choose only one - which would it be?

For those that have done both - did you prefer one over the other? Why?

Trying to decide which direction to go.

Thanks.

Thanks.

This question comes up at least once a week here. The vast majority say Glacier Bay. Skim down through a few pages of posts and you will find many threads on the subject with lots of answers to your question.

I guess we're in the minority. We far preferred Tracy Arm Fjord. It was like cruising through Yosemite on steroids. It was magnificent. Last year we went to Glacier Bay and were disappointed that it just didn't seem as lush and beautiful. This year we're going back to Tracy Arm and are taking the excursion where a boat picks you up from the ship near Sawyer Island and takes you up closer to both Sawyer Glaciers. The folks that we talked to that went on the excursion said they saw whales, bears, mountain goats and eagles and the trip was worth every penny they paid. We can hardly wait

I guess we're in the minority. We far preferred Tracy Arm Fjord. It was like cruising through Yosemite on steroids. It was magnificent. Last year we went to Glacier Bay and were disappointed that it just didn't seem as lush and beautiful. This year we're going back to Tracy Arm and are taking the excursion where a boat picks you up from the ship near Sawyer Island and takes you up closer to both Sawyer Glaciers. The folks that we talked to that went on the excursion said they saw whales, bears, mountain goats and eagles and the trip was worth every penny they paid. We can hardly wait

Thank you for the other side of the story.

May I ask which cruise line/ship you're taking that offers this excursion?

Thanks.

I think when you go makes a big difference. In shoulder seasons (May, Sept) you are more likely to have problems with ice, and not be able to get close enough to see the glaciers in Tracy arm. That happened to us on a cruise in early September. If you go mid-season, either should be fine.

This year we're going back to Tracy Arm and are taking the excursion where a boat picks you up from the ship near Sawyer Island and takes you up closer to both Sawyer Glaciers. The folks that we talked to that went on the excursion said they saw whales, bears, mountain goats and eagles and the trip was worth every penny they paid. We can hardly wait

We just got off the Grand Princess and took the "Glacier explorer" excursion from the Grand Princess at Sawyer Island. We got to within 1/4 of a mile to the Sawyer Glacier. They only take 130 passengers on this excursion so you have to book early. Not all the cruise ship do the "Glacier explorer" excursion so check the excursions before you book your cruise. The "Glacier explorer" excursion is absolutely AWESOME!!!

I have attempted Tracy Arm 4x and missed it 4x. 2x were in June and July and 2x was on a small boat and we missed it. Tracy Arm is missed frequently and very few ships see the glaciers at the end up close.

I definitely recommend Glacier Bay, it is rarely (if ever) missed.

It really is disappointing to go to Alaska and miss your only glacier.

Edited by Coral

I am another in the minority that prefers Tracy Arm. To me viewing the stark, towering granite walls, waterfalls and seals floating by on chunks of ice is at least equal to viewing the glacier itself. Glacier Bay is indeed spectacular, but for me a glacier is a glacier is a glacier.

I have attempted Tracy Arm 4x and missed it 4x. 2x were in June and July and 2x was on a small boat and we missed it. Tracy Arm is missed frequently and very few ships see the glaciers at the end up close.

I definitely recommend Glacier Bay, it is rarely (if ever) missed.

It really is disappointing to go to Alaska and miss your only glacier.

Mendenhall Glacier is an easy option in Juneau.

Mendenhall Glacier is an easy option in Juneau.

The year we missed Hubbard Glacier (my first cruise in July), we went to Mendenhall. IMO, Mendenhall is not a substitute for Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier or Tracy Arm (Sawyer glacier). If that was the only glacier I would see (which is was on that trip), it was disappointing.

Fine for a second glacier but in comparison to GB or Hubbard, disappointing.

I recently went to Tracy Arm twice in two consecutive days. The first day was on the cruise ship where we made the full transit and stopped within a mile or mile & a quarter of the South Sawyer glacier, according to the guide on the ship. It was truly incredible; I've never been that close to the glacier.

The following day was a long port day in Juneau. We took the round trip TA excursion from Juneau. We went to the South Sawyer glacier first and were stopped by ice in the fjord. I'm a bad judge of distances but we were miles away. I was very disappointed because I had heard how wonderful the small boat excursion is. We did get to the North Sawyer glacier and spent a fair bit of time there. The cruise ships are unable to navigate the channel to the north glacier.

I am still glad that I did the small boat excursion but don't feel the need to do it again like some do. I agree with Coral that you will always get into Glacier Bay but may not get into TA.

TA is, indeed, very beautiful but if glaciers are what you came to see in Alaska, go to GB.

The year we missed Hubbard Glacier (my first cruise in July), we went to Mendenhall. IMO, Mendenhall is not a substitute for Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier or Tracy Arm (Sawyer glacier). If that was the only glacier I would see (which is was on that trip), it was disappointing.

Fine for a second glacier but in comparison to GB or Hubbard, disappointing.

Interesting, I've not been to Hubbard Glacier (but will this season), but I will put Mendenhall w/ Nugget Falls at or near the top of my list that includes getting fairly close to both Sawyer Glaciers, Glacier Bay, College Fjord and several inland glaciers.

It would be very boring if we were all drawn to the same things. :)

Having done both, my preference is Glacier Bay. It is a National Park for a reason. I believe we saw 5 glaciers the day we sailed there. The biggy at the end is Pacific Glacier and Marjerie (Sp?) where the ship will slowly rotate for all sides to see the glacier. I think we sailed all day in Glacier Bay. My photos were before digital camera, so can't share them on here.

Tracy Arm was more claustrophobic to me with the tall walls enclosing you, and then you see all the ice in the water and think "Titanic" what is under the water that you don't see (sure hope the Captain knows). We did see both North Sawyer (from quite a distance) and a little closer to South Sawyer, but not nearly the views we had in Glacier Bay. I didn't do the add-on in the small boat (we don't usually do expensive excursions). And I think we only sailed like 3-4 hours there, not all day.

If glaciers are what you are wanting to see, you will definitely see more in Glacier Bay. And there is usually a ranger that boards to give talks and information along the route.

Edited by agabbymama

I agree that Tracy Arm is beautiful. I do love the narrow fjords and waterfalls. If you are looking for gorgeous scenery, Tracy Arm is certainly a good option.

BUT, if you want to see glaciers, you are much better off going to Glacier Bay! The scenery may not be as dramatic in general, but the glacier experience is FAR superior.

Mendenhall is nice, but it's nothing like sitting in front of Marjorie Glacier for an hour, listening to the ice crack and watching it calve. There's really no comparison.

I guess it depends on what you prefer. Do you just want scenery? Do you want to see glaciers? Does size matter? :p

We were on the Star Princess the end of June in 2012. Last year we did Glacier Bay the end of July on the Sapphire Princess. This year we are doing TA on the Grand Princess the end if July. In our book any Alaska cruise is a winner!

I have missed Tracy Arm a ton of times in various months that I don't even recommend it to friends as when I have in the past, they have missed it also. I don't doubt if you can get in that it is beautiful but when so many ships turn around so early in the passage or skip it entirely it is just not worth it.

Glacier Bay is true and trusted and only 2 ships per day can go there. They are a National Park and there is a reason why. It is a wonderful experience and you can count on going if it is on your itinerary as opposed to guessing if you have Tracy Arm on your itinerary. And as far as seeing Mendenhall Glacier if you miss Tracy Arm, what a disappointment! Go with Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier and you won't regret it. Even better -- pick an itinerary with both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier on it.