Advice needed for post cruise Washington DC during 4th of July weekend

I am in need of some advice for our upcoming post cruise 4th of July weekend in Washington DC. We are driving to Baltimore from Long Island and the cruise ends on July 4. Our daughter's birthday is July 5th so we thought it would be nice to spend our country's birthday and our daughter's birthday in the capital.

We originally planned to drive from the port of Baltimore to our hotel the Lowe's Madison on 15th nw street. But are now concerned with the traffic from the parade. We would also love to see the parade as well. Is it possible to get off the boat in time and drive to DC to catch the parade at 11:30am? Or would it be better to take the train? And if we took the train, which train do we take? Our kids are 6 turning 7 and 3 and if we took the train we would just take 1 suitcase and leave the rest of our luggage in the car. Also if we took the train, we want to park in the garage. Does anyone know the costs of the parking garage at Amtrak or any of the other train stations?

If you have any restaurant suggestions that are family friendly. We would love to do a brunch and something nice for our daughter's birthday dinner. Also, what would be the best way to see the fireworks.

Basically any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and help.

Edited by billjessmaddie

Let's start with the obvious. Washington DC will be packed on July 4.

Staying downtown has its advantages in that you won't have to deal with the crowds after the fireworks. A good place to see the fireworks in near the Washington Monument, looking towards the Lincoln Mem.

If you have parking at your hotel, I would say use it. If you are off the boat by 8:30, you should be in DC before 10. Many of the locals will take Metro.

I am not sure what roads the parade will block. Also, no recommendations for restaurants on July 4.

As stated, DC will be packed. Locals will be at Nationals Park, not downtown. The parade route is along the National Mall, and the hotel is north of there. If you come in on Route 50/New York Avenue, you'll be north of the parade, and should be OK once you head downtown; 295 may or may not be a zoo for an 11:30 first pitch at Nationals Park.

As stated, along the mall is your best view of the fireworks, but it's a zoo down there. You need to Google the rules for the National Mall on the 4th; some areas are pretty restrictive.

There are a lot of places to eat in the Penn Quarter that would fit for a Saturday brunch. Gordon Biersch, even though a brew pub, is pretty family friendly. A lot of the places in the area aren't family "unfriendly" but they're not necessarily family friendly either. Let me think that one through a little more. What interests you?

I don't think you could pay me enough to be in DC on the 4th.

Totally depends on what you want to do. Off the mall, it's fine. The museums are open, people live in the city and do things in the city, etc. But I agree when it comes to the mall for the fireworks...

As stated, DC will be packed. Locals will be at Nationals Park, not downtown. The parade route is along the National Mall, and the hotel is north of there. If you come in on Route 50/New York Avenue, you'll be north of the parade, and should be OK once you head downtown; 295 may or may not be a zoo for an 11:30 first pitch at Nationals Park.

As stated, along the mall is your best view of the fireworks, but it's a zoo down there. You need to Google the rules for the National Mall on the 4th; some areas are pretty restrictive.

There are a lot of places to eat in the Penn Quarter that would fit for a Saturday brunch. Gordon Biersch, even though a brew pub, is pretty family friendly. A lot of the places in the area aren't family "unfriendly" but they're not necessarily family friendly either. Let me think that one through a little more. What interests you?

Thank you for the information. My husband and I like Italian, Mexican, Japanese, Seafood, etc. My kids like mac and cheese, chicken nuggets and fettuccine alfredo. So far I found an Italian and Sushi restaurant that is kid friendly.

I don't think you could pay me enough to be in DC on the 4th.

LOL We don't mind crowds. We go to Disney World every year for Christmas and New Years. And last year we were at Disney for 4th of July. We like the experience.

Let's start with the obvious. Washington DC will be packed on July 4.

Staying downtown has its advantages in that you won't have to deal with the crowds after the fireworks. A good place to see the fireworks in near the Washington Monument, looking towards the Lincoln Mem.

If you have parking at your hotel, I would say use it. If you are off the boat by 8:30, you should be in DC before 10. Many of the locals will take Metro.

I am not sure what roads the parade will block. Also, no recommendations for restaurants on July 4.

Thank you. My husband and I decided to drive and park at the hotel.

Thank you for the information. My husband and I like Italian, Mexican, Japanese, Seafood, etc. My kids like mac and cheese, chicken nuggets and fettuccine alfredo. So far I found an Italian and Sushi restaurant that is kid friendly.

A couple of other thoughts. These are on or near F Street around 7th - 9th. That's not a bad location if you're heading towards the Mall, or back from the Mall. And, again, the Penn Quarter has become "the" area in DC.

Austin Grill. Tex-Mex. There's much better Mexican nearby (Oyamel), but the Austin Grill is passable, inexpensive, and listed as family friendly. Rosa Mexicano has a good rep, but is more expensive.

Ella's Wood Fired Pizza. Good rep. Never eaten there, but gets good marks. Very close to McCormick and Schmick's on 9th across from the Spy Museum and the Smithsonian American Art Museum/National Portrait Gallery.

Pi Pizzeria. On F between 9th and 10th. VERY good pizza. Also a very nice selection of adult beverages if you need a break.

There's a Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant in the same area, and if you're really stretching it, a Hard Rock Cafe right down the street from Ford's Theater. Gordon Biersch does have a kids menu, and HRC probably does as well.

I'm struggling a little as we don't have kids. Our favorites are not necessarily kid friendly (Oyamel, Jaleo, Hill Country Market, etc.). The Hill Country Market is excellent Texas style barbeque, but if the kids aren't into barbecue... (Although they do have an outstanding mac and cheese as a side dish!)

Been to the Mall for fireworks on the 4th. Had a great time. Seemed a little different than going to our local fireworks display. I wouldn't do it every year (mostly because how long it takes to get home). Having a local hotel will be fine. If you're in the area, its the kind of thing to do once.

Probably too late to book now for 4th of July-particularly if you have already paid for a hotel.

But the Hay-Adams has some simply spectacular packages. NOT cheap. But for one night it is definitely worth it. Small balcony directly overlooking the White House if you pick one of the White House view rooms. We could lay in bed and see the White House. In fact, right next door is where all the TV anchors report from when you see the pictures of the White House in the back ground. Closest I will ever come to sleeping in the White House.

Included in our package was dinner on their rooftop restaurant, breakfast, an entire swag bag of goodies and a nighttime tour in a stretch limo with a basket of goodies and a guide. Champagne, beer, caviar, assorted cheeses and fruits. Guide was exceptional and the only thing I didn't get to see was Arlington at night because it was against some kind of regulation for the driver to go over the bridge at night. But the Capital, all the buildings, the monuments all lit up, particularly the Korean War Memorial were super, super special. We missed seeing President George W and Laura walk to church across the street while we were eating breakfast but we sure saw all the secret service guys all over the hotel, in the street and outside the church.

A couple of pictures-one taken by our cabin attendant leaning out our balcony and the second as we were leaving. The second picture made it on the Rush Limbaugh website as "weird places" to wear your Rush T shirt.

1906802705_lookingattheWhiteHousefromtheHayAdams.jpg.b3ef8a81c1248e8111e78fdca2dbde33.jpg

226126109_RushLimbaughTshirtsthatmadetheRushsite.jpg.8a2bc3c955affcb6986c2c468721d992.jpg

There is now alot of security and certain access points if you plan on going to the National Mall to watch the fireworks.

Here's a link to the Park service site all about it. Will probably be updated as it gets closer to the date.

http://www.nps.gov/foju/index.htm

**Suggestion if you are taking the subway - do not use the Smithsonian station - everyone uses that (sometimes they may close the mall entrance)

Take the subway to the Federal Triangle station (it's also not far from the museums) and walk 2 blocks - I took my friends to downtown during the Cherry Blossoms and we headed to the Smithsonian entrance ( and when I saw all the people down at the bottom of the escalator I told them to follow me - we were going back up - and I took them 2 blocks over and the Federal Triangle station was pretty empty.

Looks like you can walk to the McPherson Square metro station and take the orange line to Federal Triangle and be closer to the mall, museum, and other sites.

Although if you are leaving the mall area after the fireworks - might be worth to walk then get on the subway with everyone else.