tips from those who sailed Hawaii with Disney before

eskiemomo

we didn't sail to Hawaii with Disney when it was available a few years ago, but we're going next year :D

for those of you who have sailed with Disney do you have any tips for us? For example we'd normally never leave kids (age 5 and 2 at time of sailing) onboard at the nursery/kids club while we go on an excursion, but since Hawaii is the USA and our cell phones work we are wondering if we could try it.

I can't see any port excursions right now on the site, but do any of you strong recommend for or against anything? I'm hoping they'll offer a day pass to Aulani as one of the choices when in Honolulu.

we didn't sail to Hawaii with Disney when it was available a few years ago, but we're going next year :D

for those of you who have sailed with Disney do you have any tips for us? For example we'd normally never leave kids (age 5 and 2 at time of sailing) onboard at the nursery/kids club while we go on an excursion, but since Hawaii is the USA and our cell phones work we are wondering if we could try it.

I can't see any port excursions right now on the site, but do any of you strong recommend for or against anything? I'm hoping they'll offer a day pass to Aulani as one of the choices when in Honolulu.

While they did do a day pass to the Aulani the last time they went there, I'm not sure that will be an option next time. Last Hawaii cruises were only in Honolulu as port stop. The 2 Hawaii cruises on the schedule now either end in Honolulu or start there. Not really a port stop, so probably no excursions.

Of course, that's just my view of it. Don't know for sure.

As to leaving your kids onboard while you go ashore - it's entirely your call. Many people have done it (with no issues). Other people may call you bad parents for even thinking about it.

Sorry, I can't really recommend any excursions for you (when we went we didn't have little ones with us, so didn't have to take that into account). However, the best excursion we had (IMO) was the tubing in Kauai (I don't think little kids can go on that). We also went to Pearl Harbor and the Missouri, also not particularly interesting to young children, for the most part.

Can't address the excursions because I've never sailed to Hawaii, but I have stayed at Aulani and it is beautiful. If you are doing a Hawaii cruise with DCL I highly recommend staying at Aulani a few days before or after your cruise (depending on which way you are sailing). Beautiful resort away from the hustle and bustle of Honolulu and Waikiki.

One thing to think about... If you are in a shore excursion and get a call about a problem with your child, the excursion won't turn around and take you back. You would have to try to figure out a way on your own, and depending on the nature of the excursion, that would be easier said than done.

I would feel comfortable leaving the kids on the boat at US ports. It's pretty easy to get a flight between islands if you miss the boat (highly unlikely) and anywhere you'd go would have taxis nearby if you needed to call one. I would do a DCL excursion, just to play it safe, because they make the boat wait for you. And not one that goes to some remote hiking location or something.