Amsterdam Renaissance Hotel

My wife and I have booked a one night prestay at the Amsterdam Renaissance through HAL. We are looking for some info/comments from people who have previously stayed at this hotel, which they booked through the cruise line. What kind of room did they give you, a regular or club? Any incidental expenses that we should know about like wifi, breakfast, etc.? Any must see attractions near the hotel that can’t be missed. What kind of transfer experience did you have getting from the hotel to the port ljmuiden? Our cruise is August 10th on the Prinsendam.

It's been a few years, so the details are fuzzy, but I have stayed at this hotel under a HAL pre-cruise plan twice.

I clearly remember my room the first time. :( Not recommended. It was up one elevator, head along a passage, get on another elevator and go up some more floors. Then follow along, over a bridge, more corridors. Then, when the corridor ended and I hadn't reached my room yet, I went through an exit door and found my door. When I opened it, there was a flight of stairs to get to the main part. :eek: Clearly it was in another building that was somehow connected.

That room was small. Very small.

The last time was a room in the main building, and although somewhat lacking in furniture, was comfortable. It was light & bright.

IIRC, breakfast in the restaurant was included.

Baggage was set outside the door at an appointed time, and collected. Later on you had to identify it downstairs before it was loaded on the bus (or truck, I forget). Then we piled on the bus for the short ride to the pier.

That part was very well done.

The hotel is a fairly short distance from the central railroad station, and definitely near the canal boat rides.

It was fine for one night, but I would not want to spend several nights there.

Edited by RuthC

We stayed in the jotel a couple of years ago and found it to be quite nice. Although we're Marriott Card Holders, the hotel was the pcik up point for HAL for our cruise. The hotel seem filled with HAL cruisers, and none of them complained to us ( even thought we were all in a room that could have elicited such complaints.) The best way to see the city is to jump on a tram. They're easy to follow. The concierge was very helpful in recommending restaurants with in (sometimes long) walking distances. We enjoyed our stay there.

We stayed here..booked by us for much less than thru our agent or cruiseline. Had a very nice room. Location is great with lots nearby, easy access to transportation when your legs get tired.;) Quick cab ride to the pier on Our schedule.

There are so many great places that you can book yourself. And for so much less than cruise line per person rates. The city center area is close and a quick ride. No need for the big bus routine.

Edited by eandj

I clearly remember my room the first time. :( Not recommended. It was up one elevator, head along a passage, get on another elevator and go up some more floors. Then follow along, over a bridge, more corridors. Then, when the corridor ended and I hadn't reached my room yet, I went through an exit door and found my door. When I opened it, there was a flight of stairs to get to the main part. :eek: Clearly it was in another building that was somehow connected.

Oh my. Did you leave a trail of bread crumbs to find your way back out? :D

I have to echo Eandj. We stayed there in '12. Made our own reservations, better prices, nice room. With full recommendations and assurances from the concierge, we would shortcut through to the small back street which had several small restraurants for nice breakfasts and dinners. We even got take-out after a long day.

We used the Hop-On / Hop-Off waterbuses for any places to far to walk.

I would definitely do your homework on HAL transfers to to AMS as it is a long ways out of the city and a taxi can be very expensive. The pier is 10 minutes or less from the hotel.

ENJOY!!!

My wife and I have booked a one night prestay at the Amsterdam Renaissance through HAL. We are looking for some info/comments from people who have previously stayed at this hotel, which they booked through the cruise line. What kind of room did they give you, a regular or club? Any incidental expenses that we should know about like wifi, breakfast, etc.? Any must see attractions near the hotel that can’t be missed. What kind of transfer experience did you have getting from the hotel to the port ljmuiden? Our cruise is August 10th on the Prinsendam.

The port of Ijmuiden were you will board the Prinsendam is about a 30 to 45 minute drive from Amsterdam depending on the day/time.

As you have booked the accomodation thru HAL they will also arrange the transportation from the hotel to the ship.

Peter.

Oh my. Did you leave a trail of bread crumbs to find your way back out? :D

That would have been a good idea, had I had a supply with me. Needless to say, I did not leave that room very often---the trek was just too far. And it has left a lasting impression!

I can't believe I paid the same for that room as others paid for rooms in the main building. Those rooms are adequate.

OP, I didn't think of it until long after I posted, but samsonmo has raised a good point: the Amsterdam pier near the railroad station isn't the one used for boarding anymore. If you already have the HAL hotel/transfer package, then plan to use their transfer. It's not around the corner anymore.

Our room there was not ready until around 4. I know that happens, but it is a bother. Initially, they put us in a room that was the size of a cruiseship cabin. There was no room for our luggage. This is a Marriott....not a typical European hotel. For what we paid, we should have been in a "normal" room. They then moved us across the bridge Ruth spoke of. That room was decent. The breakfast was fine.

The hotel was in a great area. Easy to walk everywhere. If you want to go to the Anne Frank house, it is walkable from there. You can buy tickets online. If you just show up, the wait will be at least an hour.

We are staying at the Renaissance in July. I just hope they don't try to stick us in a mini room again!

HAL also offers transfer to Ijmuiden for those who have not booked hotel through cruise line, which we are taking advantage of. It is $32 per personlnFor our dates the Renaissance was pretty expensive so we found a hotel recommended by a trusted CC member two blocks away from the Renaissance so we can walk there to get the transfer.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

HAL also offers transfer to Ijmuiden for those who have not booked hotel through cruise line, which we are taking advantage of. It is $32 per personlnFor our dates the Renaissance was pretty expensive so we found a hotel recommended by a trusted CC member two blocks away from the Renaissance so we can walk there to get the transfer.

If you are comfortable with this, please share the recommendation you referenced.

Thank you,

Betty

It is the Singel Hotel. It is only 3 star which is fine for us!

Note if you are doing the HAL transfer your TA needs to call and make the reservation for you. It then shows up on your booking.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

If you are comfortable with this, please share the recommendation you referenced.

Thank you,

Betty

If you need more options for hotels...and there are many in Amsterdam, head over to tripadvisor.com and read reviews for the hotels there and familiarize yourself with the area. Then go to their forum boards and you can ask residents for recs in your price point. THey are VERY helpful.

My wife and I always stay in the Renaissance when we are in Amsterdam. Its a nice hotel and since I've been at least Marriott Gold for years, we always get access to the lounge and breakfast. Its near both the Central Train station and almost all the major attractions.

Anything too far to walk, can always be reached via the Trams which run on the main streets which are close by.

Was just there last August after getting off the Eurodam Fjords, Highlands and Ireland Cruise. We stayed 4 days post cruise (on our own) and did not know until after I booked the plane tickets, that it was also Gay Pride Week (August) It was actually quite a blast to see the boat parade and the other festivities.

Cheers,

We stayed there in August 2013 prior to Eurodam's trans-Atlantic cruise. Breakfast was included, wifi was not. The in-room coffee service was a kettle and instant coffee/tea bags. The room was comfortable, but smaller than North American standards. The hotel was very convenient to a lot of central Amsterdam. We enjoyed our time there.

Here are photos of our room:

Renaissanceguestroomcoffeeserviceandminibar_zps3976decc.jpg

Renaissanceguestroom1_zpsfa1d5743.jpg

Renaissanceguestroom2_zpsc648108d.jpg

Renaissanceguestbath_zps3cd7c539.jpg

Rennaissanceguestbathvanity_zpsf9e7de34.jpg

Dave

We stayed there in August 2013 prior to Eurodam's trans-Atlantic cruise. Breakfast was included, wifi was not. The in-room coffee service was a kettle and instant coffee/tea bags. The room was comfortable, but smaller than North American standards. The hotel was very convenient to a lot of central Amsterdam. We enjoyed our time there.

Here are photos of our room:

Renaissanceguestroomcoffeeserviceandminibar_zps3976decc.jpg

Renaissanceguestroom1_zpsfa1d5743.jpg

Renaissanceguestroom2_zpsc648108d.jpg

Renaissanceguestbath_zps3cd7c539.jpg

Rennaissanceguestbathvanity_zpsf9e7de34.jpg

Dave

Dave, I went through your photos. I think this was the mini room with one bed we got intially. Where did you put your luggage? We will have 3 suitcases and 2 carryons. I just can't figure out where they would go in that room. What am I missing?

Dave, I went through your photos. I think this was the mini room with one bed we got intially. Where did you put your luggage? We will have 3 suitcases and 2 carryons. I just can't figure out where they would go in that room. What am I missing?

I mentioned it was smaller than North American rooms, but we managed -- the room was larger than a verandah cabin, more like an SS size. We had two large suitcases and a couple of carry-ons. I did not have a photo of it, but there was a closet that held one of the large cases. Another we put behind the chair and nightstand. The carryons ... uh, I don't remember, but we did OK.

Dave

I mentioned it was smaller than North American rooms, but we managed -- the room was larger than a verandah cabin, more like an SS size. We had two large suitcases and a couple of carry-ons. I did not have a photo of it, but there was a closet that held one of the large cases. Another we put behind the chair and nightstand. The carryons ... uh, I don't remember, but we did OK.

Dave

Thanks for getting back with me. I'm not real excited to be going back there, only because I don't want to deal with fussing about a too small room---again.

I just read in CondeNast that you are supposed to wrap your credit card with a tip--- when giving to the person assigning your room. Then, I read it again in USA. I had never heard of that!

We spent 3 weeks touring Great Britain, Amsterdam and Paris. We stayed in decent, centrally located hotels - but not 4 or 5 star :)

All of our hotel rooms were basically "mini-rooms", all of the in-room coffee services were an electric kettle with instant coffee and tea bags, we were thrilled if the shower was bigger than 3' x 3', and ecstatic if the air conditioning was chilling!! :D

I wouldn't miss the hop-on-hop-off canal boat tour even if you don't get off it's a great way to get the feeling of the place.

There's a large museum with the Dutch Masters including a lot of Rembrants. There's a VanGogh museum. The Maritime museum was excellent. The Ann Frank house gave me goose bumps (my middle school classes read and discussed the "Diary of Ann Frank" the school year before.)

You might want to Google the difference between Amsterdam Cafes and Coffee Houses :D:D:D