NCL upgrade issues

gymcoach9

I paid $1099 back in Jan for a picture window stateroom on the 8th floor of the Jewel for June 28th to Alaska. A week ago I saw the price for a BX (guarantee) balcony for $1149. I called and paid the difference knowing that my balcony was a gamble. Then, 2 days later it's now dropped to $999 for the BX guarantee balcony. NCL will not credit me the difference bc they say that I could potentially get a even bigger upgrade. They said I need my room assignment first but 15 days out I still don't have it. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do? I just feel like this is unfair since I now paid more than the posted price and they are not giving me anything. This is on top of them "loosing" my OBC from the HSN and booking. Anyone important I can call? Help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It'll be no comfort but that exact same thing happened to me a few years back, paid 150pp to upgrade to balcony then the price dropped by that much a couple days later. I had to check to see if it was my thread. lol I remember being so ticked off. Wrote a letter to NCL and everything. Got nowhere but I now I know how the game's played (book low and upgrade after prices start dropping, or just book as late as possible). Sory, I know it's no help. That did end up being my favorite cruise experience thus far and hope you are still able to enjoy yours.

Edited by AWENINAZ

The title of this thread should not be "upgrade" - but something like the price is dropped and I should get something.

When NCL and a passenger AGREE to a contract, they agree on the cabin, price, date, etc. Once final payment is made, the deal is sealed.

Sure, they sometimes run a last minute sale to sell the last few cabins. They do not reduce the price for the other 2,000 people.

NCL has met their part of the deal.

You can read a few thousand other threads just like this if you scroll down the page.

Call and ask them to do something. Upgrade or OBC. Ask for a supervisor if you don't get anywhere.

This is more than "sometimes they run a last minute sale". It is happening left and right to a majority of people who book. It is turning clients away from NCL or, if they stick with NCL, they now aren't going to book until 2-3 weeks out. Neither is what NCL wants, so they should address this ever-growing problem head-on.

It seems to me I just read something almost exactly like this... AFP and a price drop, with no compensation owed to the OP.

Unfortunately, it happens often and ppl get upset about not being offered an upgrade or OBC, free dinners, free wine... nada. READ your contract. After final payment NCL, nor any other cruise line, owes you anything.

If you're lucky and you work with a TA/PCC who is will and able to find a way to get something for you, great, if not, sorry but you were happy with the price you paid when made the reservation....and yeah, I know it sucks but it is the way it is. A contract is a contract, it goes both ways. :eek:

Be happy you're able to go on a cruise and enjoy it.

Good luck, safe and happy sailing.

Nah, it isn't that simple. You don't have to just endure and be happy anyway. We spend our hard- earned $ to go on vacation and not having a price- drop policy that is favorable to consumers is painful to most. If enough of us complain and it starts to hurt NCL where it matters, perhaps policy can become more consumer- friendly.

Nah, it isn't that simple. You don't have to just endure and be happy anyway. We spend our hard- earned $ to go on vacation and not having a price- drop policy that is favorable to consumers is painful to most. If enough of us complain and it starts to hurt NCL where it matters, perhaps policy can become more consumer- friendly.

And if there is a price increase instead of a price drop will you pay that difference??

Or you could wait to buy until 2 weeks before she sails and then complain about the poor choice of cabins, or get caught in a scene where the price goes up. If there is a certain time you must take vacation and you must plan accordingly, then you do not have the luxury of last minute shopping and price drops. Something to look forward to when you retire.

Wow....how often do you get to move up to business class or first class in an airplane? How often do you get a price adjustment for airfare? What if I want free baggage, can I get that because I saw a price drop. Once you pay, that's it, you don't get to re-negotiate ANYTHING on a flight. Why should a cruise be any different?!?!?

Actually many airlines will offer you a credit for future travel for a fare difference in the full amount of the price difference.

It isn't entitlement- it is a basic consumer offering called price protection. Many, many things you buy are price- protected. Even many elements of the travel industry are price- protected- other cruiselines offer price protection, many land, all- inclusive packages offer it, even many airlines (some don't advertise it). Makes you comfortable to buy a large- ticket item. And, no the benefit is to the consumer- it doesn't work in reverse where you pay more if the item increases.

It isn't some crazy thing people are getting upset over. People have a right to be upset and I think with some possible over saturation in the cruise market, as it gets harder to fill ships and the competition increases, the lines may want to look at this as a way to stand out from the crowd. The more NCL hears the feedback, the greater the possibility that things might swing in favor of the consumer.

Edited by conandrob240

Call and ask them to do something. Upgrade or OBC. Ask for a supervisor if you don't get anywhere.

This is more than "sometimes they run a last minute sale". It is happening left and right to a majority of people who book. It is turning clients away from NCL or, if they stick with NCL, they now aren't going to book until 2-3 weeks out. Neither is what NCL wants, so they should address this ever-growing problem head-on.

Majority of people who book? Sorry, but I would need to see the statistics. In my 20 years of marriage and cruising we have not ever once ever never never ever had a price drop.

Never. Not once on any cruise line.

To compare only apples - have watched the prices go up up up on every NCL cruise we have taken since we have been able to follow them on line.

My family of 5 could not cruise in the accommodations we desire if we waited until 2-3 weeks out.

I am a TA and over the past year, about 80% of my NCL clients have had price drops after final deposit. Over the past three months, it has happened to every single one of them. Seems to be happening much more lately especially out of the NY market.

So, I don't have actual stats but it is my sense with NCL. Seems to happen much less often with DCL for example.

Edited by conandrob240

Actually many airlines will offer you a credit for future travel for a fare difference in the full amount of the price difference.

It isn't entitlement- it is a basic consumer offering called price protection. Many, many things you buy are price- protected. Even many elements of the travel industry are price- protected- other cruiselines offer price protection, many land, all- inclusive packages offer it, even many airlines (some don't advertise it). Makes you comfortable to buy a large- ticket item. And, no the benefit is to the consumer- it doesn't work in reverse where you pay more if the item increases.

It isn't some crazy thing people are getting upset over. People have a right to be upset and I think with some possible over saturation in the cruise market, as it gets harder to fill ships and the competition increases, the lines may want to look at this as a way to stand out from the crowd. The more NCL hears the feedback, the greater the possibility that things might swing in favor of the consumer.

Well, actually I disagree.

You DO have price protection--up until final payment. If the price drops before final payment you can go for the lower price. Sometimes you lose perks you had at initial booking.

I don't know if anyone remembers my own drama that I detailed here when an overzealous call center agent canceled my booking before I could say stop, when I called about a price drop. I then lost all my prior perks but did get a lower price. Then I upsold myself during an amazing sale to a Suite at a price I have not seen since.

In my case these Spa Suites are all sold out so I can't even check to see if there are further price drops, and this is well before final payment. I will note that the weeks before and after still have Spa Suites available that are listed for $400 MORE per person than what I am paying.

So again, you do have some price protection. If you buy a car and they sell them for less later they don't refund the price difference, do they? Your contract is final when the dealer gets his purchase price from you...

Really? Make you sick? You are certainly entitled to a different opinion but do you really have to say that hard- working people who are upset when they see a better price than you paid " make you sick"? Geesh.

Edited to add: response was to garycarla

Edited by conandrob240

To use your car comparison, yes, until you drive away, you'd probably insist on a lower price if you saw it advertised on tv or if a friend said they paid x price.

Many consumer purchases are even price protected after you use the product. Many retail stores price protect for 30 or 60 or 90 days after you drive away with the product.

It's just an opinion. It doesn't have to make you mad or say people make you sick. It is two different ways of looking at price protection or consumer purchasing. Many people see it differently.

Edited by conandrob240

And, I'd argue that "just wait" will become more and more common especially out of travel markets such as NY city with such a huge population that can drive/ train to the port. I'd assume this is the last thing that a cruise line wants- empty ships a few weeks before sailing. So, there may a tipping point in the financial model where paying out price drops ( especially in the form of on- board credit) may be better than low occupancy on ships.

Their policy doesn't have to be favorable to the consumer. It has to make money for shareholders..

You can always go elsewhere for your vacation if you don't like it. Until there is no one left to replace consumers who go elsewhere, they are doing what they should, maximizing profits

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe, maybe not. My point is that the policy MAY result in 1) people delaying booking until the last minute or 2) choosing to spend money with a line other than NCL. If either of those things happen more frequently so it now tips the financial formula they use now, then something may change. Again, maybe my perspective is skewed as I book mostly NY market cruises, but it seems this is happening much more frequently lately so time will tell how/ if NCL responds.

And I disagree that their only concern is maximizing today's profits. Companies of course want that but they also need to have policies in place that ensure their future financial strength, not just today's profits. They need to have loyal customers to generate growth in the future. Repeat business is a critical component of that model. If that falls off (in part because of dissatisfaction with how they handle price- drops), they may re- consider the policy.

To use your car comparison, yes, until you drive away, you'd probably insist on a lower price if you saw it advertised on tv or if a friend said they paid x price.

Many consumer purchases are even price protected after you use the product. Many retail stores price protect for 30 or 60 or 90 days after you drive away with the product.

It's just an opinion. It doesn't have to make you mad or say people make you sick. It is two different ways of looking at price protection or consumer purchasing. Many people see it differently.

Those examples all have well documented, open, even advertised price protection programs in place -- hell, they promote price protection as a value-add; a reason to buy. If those programs were not honored when a customer presented a qualifying situation, then yeah, that would be a problem.

NCL's "price protection" (if you want to call it that) is also well documented. The terms of the contract (yes, contract) are very upfront and anyone who takes the time can fully understand the terms of the agreement they are entering into.

As I've said in the past, I am all for someone trying to get the best deal they can, even after final payment. If a consumer can get NCL to alter the terms of the contract in the consumer's favor, then that's fantastic. I think what makes people "sick" is when people don't get their way and come here (and elsewhere) flying the "unfair" flag.

You can use all the travel industry and consumer analogies you want. The fact is, a contract is a contract. It's all about integrity. Nobody likes a crybaby, and that's what makes people sick.

Really? Make you sick? You are certainly entitled to a different opinion but do you really have to say that hard- working people who are upset when they see a better price than you paid " make you sick"? Geesh.

Edited to add: response was to garycarla

I am all for getting a better price. I comparison shop all the time - to a fault.

But - if I buy something and the price goes down a week later, I am not all demanding and upset. I was happy with the price when I bought it and move on.

As to a cruise price, these "hard-working" people were perfectly acceptable with the price they paid. If the cruiseline did not do this last minute sale, they would still be happy with the price. If the price went up,they would still be happy. BUT - because somebody else might get a better deal - some folks (not you) go ballistic.

Again, these folks were perfectly happy with the price they paid.