QM2 July 1 voyage

Nclbella

Hi,

This is my first QM2 Cruise and my hubby's as well. I know it has been talked about, but hubby does not believe me that nice shorts and silk Tommy Bahama shirts are not acceptable on informal evenings. In any venue or restaurant.

I would appreciate some feedback on this. It is our first cruise without our daughters, and we want to enjoy it to the hilt.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Knee length dress is fine for women on informal nights, but shorts for men, no way! At least a jacket, and preferably a tie. This is Cunard, after all.

I always wear suit and tie if not tux in the evenings. It all depends on the dress code.

Cunard is not Carnival or Royal Caribbean. ;)

Thank you!

Ladies knee length dresses appropriate?

Yes. Just from my personal experience, but a nice trouser (usually black) and an appropriate top (jacket or shawl as it may be chilly) works well on most informal evenings in the MDR. Simple, easy packing when considering packing for air flights. If the trousers are silk, or something equally light weight with a variety of tops, no reason to pack heavy ( except perhaps for formal nights, but there is a way to do that easily too). Consider that when are dining, we only see each other from the waist up, so a variety of tops for women works well (this was an old trick taught to me by experienced Cunard female passengers :)) Cheers, S.

Knee length dress is fine for women on informal nights, but shorts for men, no way! At least a jacket, and preferably a tie. This is Cunard, after all.

I always wear suit and tie if not tux in the evenings. It all depends on the dress code.

Cunard is not Carnival or Royal Caribbean. ;)

Thank you!

For the record, I wouldn't touch Carnival with a ten foot pole, even if they OWN Cunard ;)

Thank you!

For the record, I wouldn't touch Carnival with a ten foot pole, even if they OWN Cunard ;)

I feel the same way, but no doubt there are some Carnival passengers who have no attraction to Cunard ships. Vive la différence!:)

I feel the same way, but no doubt there are some Carnival passengers who have no attraction to Cunard ships. Vive la différence!:)

I agree, but I do not understand the mentality of the person that posted that to me. We have cruised Celebrity lots and my husband is a very well dressed man. However, just because he may wear nice shorts, and nice shirts does not put him in a category of Carnival. He isn't walking around in a corny logo t shirt.

Let's not forget that Carnival is the owner of Cunard....😉

I agree, but I do not understand the mentality of the person that posted that to me. ...
You and me both!

(Don't worry, there are regular posters here (and occasional visitors) that love the sound of their own opinions, and it helps that all important post-count. I ignore them whenever possible)

Friends of mine were very impressed recently when dining at "Lotus", one part of the Kings Court, they said the service and food were outstanding. Hope this helps.

From reading your questions and responses I'd say you're going to have the most wonderful time on board QM2 (There are photos of the interiors via the link below). A huge Bon Voyage! from me :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Hi,

This is my first QM2 Cruise and my hubby's as well. I know it has been talked about, but hubby does not believe me that nice shorts and silk Tommy Bahama shirts are not acceptable on informal evenings. In any venue or restaurant.

I would appreciate some feedback on this. It is our first cruise without our daughters, and we want to enjoy it to the hilt.

Nclbella, I just read your question again, and the answer is yes, your hubby can dress in shorts and a shirt on any night, formal or informal. However, that will not follow the dress code for most venues on the ship after 6pm, so he will be limited to Kings Court and the Winter Garden.

Just to mention that for some reason, what we call the 4th of July cruise tends to be rather more "dressed-up" than other short cruises. Last year, there was a deck party on the evening of the 4th, but I didn't see any passengers wearing shorts even then.

Edited by Salacia

Nclbella, You didn't mention where you (and the QM2) will be traveling.

Shipboard dress in the daytime varies with climate and location.

DH and I have both worn shorts ("nice, presentable shorts") to the MDR for lunch many times… On segments of world cruises. While in warmers water. Transatlantic travel tends to have people dressed in longer trousers during the day. I'm not sure about Mediterranean cruises, but if the weather is warm, you will see shorts on board in the daytime.

Male dress code for the evening is well spelled out. Ladies have a range of choice on non-formal nights. You see "cocktail dress" listed as suitable for both formal and non-formal evenings. This is because some women (but not all) want to dress to the nines every single night.

On the other hand, many of us want to be less formal on non-formal nights and save the cocktail dress for formal night. That works, too.

Generally, people who travel on Cunard ships respect the idea of dressing appropriately for dinner and the overall effect is pleasing. You don't see the odd outlier who comes to dinner on formal night in a collarless tee shirt, no tie, and a sport coat--- which we have on Celebrity and Princess.

But, it isn't really a mysterious or intimidating situation. You have cruised a lot and already are familiar with human behavior and apparel.

You should enjoy the ship---she is a beauty.

Hi,

I would appreciate some feedback on this. It is our first cruise without our daughters, and we want to enjoy it to the hilt...

Hello Nclbella, I took this voyage in 2012 and although it is only five days it certainly is no "booze cruise". Many of the passengers are from the east coast US and enthusiastically embraced the dress code. Cunard ships, and especially QM2, are more formal than you may have encountered in your previous sailing experience. That, and you're going to Halifax and Boston, so NE dress is more conservative than what may be acceptable in Florida.

If your husband intends to go to the main dining room on informal evenings while wearing shorts and a silk shirt he will indeed appear ill dressed no matter how "nice" they may be. If he's not wearing a jacket and long pants he should, and probably would, be turned away.

There's a Roll Call for this voyage which has not been very active but is starting to pick up interest as the sailing date draws near.

Edited by BlueRiband

You and me both!

(Don't worry, there are regular posters here (and occasional visitors) that love the sound of their own opinions, and it helps that all important post-count. I ignore them whenever possible)

Friends of mine were very impressed recently when dining at "Lotus", one part of the Kings Court, they said the service and food were outstanding. Hope this helps.

From reading your questions and responses I'd say you're going to have the most wonderful time on board QM2 (There are photos of the interiors via the link below). A huge Bon Voyage! from me :) .

Thank you ;) I am sure we will have a fantastic time....

Really appreciate the photos and insight to the other dining venues.

Nclbella, You didn't mention where you (and the QM2) will be traveling.

Shipboard dress in the daytime varies with climate and location.

DH and I have both worn shorts ("nice, presentable shorts") to the MDR for lunch many times… On segments of world cruises. While in warmers water. Transatlantic travel tends to have people dressed in longer trousers during the day. I'm not sure about Mediterranean cruises, but if the weather is warm, you will see shorts on board in the daytime.

Male dress code for the evening is well spelled out. Ladies have a range of choice on non-formal nights. You see "cocktail dress" listed as suitable for both formal and non-formal evenings. This is because some women (but not all) want to dress to the nines every single night.

On the other hand, many of us want to be less formal on non-formal nights and save the cocktail dress for formal night. That works, too.

Generally, people who travel on Cunard ships respect the idea of dressing appropriately for dinner and the overall effect is pleasing. You don't see the odd outlier who comes to dinner on formal night in a collarless tee shirt, no tie, and a sport coat--- which we have on Celebrity and Princess.

But, it isn't really a mysterious or intimidating situation. You have cruised a lot and already are familiar with human behavior and apparel.

You should enjoy the ship---she is a beauty.

Thank you also, Jimmybean. Hubby has 2 categories of clothes, suits he wears to work with dress shirts, cuff links. And then nice dress shorts and button down shirts. He feels comfy in both.

I apologize for not mentioning it, we are going on the July 4 cruise. We will be out to dinner in Boston on July 4, casual, so is it ok if he wears NICE shorts out and if we want to have a drink at around 11 pm, is he still ok in those shorts?

Thank you also, Jimmybean. Hubby has 2 categories of clothes, suits he wears to work with dress shirts, cuff links. And then nice dress shorts and button down shirts. He feels comfy in both.

I apologize for not mentioning it, we are going on the July 4 cruise. We will be out to dinner in Boston on July 4, casual, so is it ok if he wears NICE shorts out and if we want to have a drink at around 11 pm, is he still ok in those shorts?

So, out and about in Boston and returning to the ship for a late drink?

I really don't see how shorts would be an issue at that hour (even if it had officially been a formal night onboard). Dinner will be over and dining rooms closed. Theater performances finished. Summertime in Boston will be warm weather. You don't plan to go to the ballroom, just have a relaxing drink...

My feeling is that dress codes apply to dinner in the dining rooms and for entertainment areas in the evening. Many of us "old fogies" go to bed relatively early. By 11 pm, I don't think nice shorts should create any reaction. I doubt all public areas of the ship will be tremendously busy at that hour. Certainly, not overflowing with judgmental fashion police.

The Golden Lion (deck 2) is a more casual bar, in my opinion. There is also a bar by the pool on deck 12 and a bar in the winter garden, although I'm not sure what their hours are. You could also get a drink and go out and sit on the deck, your husband comfortable in his weather appropriate attire.

Or, you could go to the Commodore Lounge on deck 9 and probably no one would care. If you peeked in and saw a crowd of "all dressed up" people, you really could just move on to another location. No big deal. There are lots of places to have a drink on the ship.

Common sense also tells us that people, reboarding after a port-day, will be wearing shore appropriate clothing upon return. Many people choose to stay in casual clothing, avoiding the dining room etc, because they prefer not to change. No one will be shocked to see a man in shorts under these circumstances. After a port day, is the time when one sees the most people on the ship wearing "more casual clothing."

From your description, Boston will also be a long port day with evening time reboarding. I would think this would bring a number of passengers back on the ship, after the dinner hour, still wearing shorts.

In addition, you will observe that people initially boarding the ship at the start of a voyage (after their pre-ship travel) often don't look quite as spiffily dressed as Cunard brochures might imply. I have seen collarless tee shirts and blue jeans in the mix! Certainly cropped trousers with "go to the grocery store" tops on ladies. Depending on pre-ship travel and the weather, a number of people do seek comfort in their clothing, even on the QM2. I'm not advocating for sloppy boarding clothes, just telling you what I have observed.

When it is dinner time, however, people going to dining rooms and to evening entertainment do take the trouble to conform--en mass-- and do follow the dress codes--which really is nice. One of the things we value about sailing on a Cunard ship.

Fun that the two of you will be taking a nice voyage together!!! It is a vacation and not any cause for worry. Enjoy the ship! She is a beauty, but sailing is meant to be relaxing and you can relax on the QM2.

Do post after your cruise and share YOUR own observations and opinions.

partial quote

...I apologize for not mentioning it, we are going on the July 4 cruise. We will be out to dinner in Boston on July 4, casual, so is it ok if he wears NICE shorts out and if we want to have a drink at around 11 pm, is he still ok in those shorts?

As mentioned previously, the 4th of July cruise is different from other short cruise; not only is the fare usually higher, but so is the dress standard. Of course, passengers who go ashore in Boston dress however they wish. But most passengers who remain on board dress according to the code throughout the evening for venues other than Kings Court or the Winter Garden.

To illustrate by way of a personal experience on this cruise last July: after dinner in the MDR, my husband & I returned briefly to our cabin. We decided to go to the deck party, and since it was very warm, I told my husband he didn't need his jacket and tie. On deck, most people shed their jackets, sweaters and shawls since it was quite pleasantly warm. We watched the fireworks launched by nearby ships, had a drink, danced and then went to the cooler Queens Room to see the balloon drop where met up with our well dressed dinner companions. It took only two minutes before I realized that my husband in his long-sleeved, button down shirt and khaki trousers was not dressed properly for the Queens Room (totally my fault) because he wasn't wearing a jacket as he normally does in the evening as do 99% of the men.

On some cruises, the ship is half asleep by 11pm, but I have found that is definitely not the case on the 4th of July cruise. I don't think shorts in public venues works well on such a festive occasion: I've taken this cruise several times, and I've seen no decline in the dress standards, although - who knows? - this year might be different, although I doubt it. Anyone wishing to wear shorts in the evening is invited to the Winter Garden for drinks or Kings Court. Maybe there's a good party there?

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

I'm presently at Diamond status and was offered a free lunch at Todd English on the QM2.

Would the staff of Todd English ever give me a credit to switch from lunch to dinner? I know a small fee would apply.

Did anyone ever do this?