Quantum /Anthem level of excitement not there

They can't - the Quantum class doesn't have a single MDR big enough to make traditional dining possible.

Sure they could. The ships now have 3 levels of dining in the MDR. All they would have to do is have two seating, and assign you one of the dining rooms, instead of a deck like they do now.

I WAS excited with I thought Quantum was going to be based at Cape Liberty but not too interested anymore.

This is pretty much how I feel. Add to that that Anthem moved out of Fort Lauderdale and now it's doing the (in my opinion) the same lackluster itineraries that the Quantum was going to do and they want a fortune because it's a new ship. I have zero interest now. I'll stick with sailing out of Florida on older smaller ships, which to me are a better value.

Love the attitude of some posters on this thread that the Asian market really only deserves the 'Hand me downs' whilst the US should only have the best!!!!!:eek:

Totally agree..

Maybe if those in the US had to travel as far as us to do a decent cruise,( 14 hr flights every time) they would feel differently.

We in OZ have a terrible selection of cruise ships close to home..and yes some of those are "second hand rose."...:(

We are booked on it for Dubai to Singapore..and glad its coming to our side of the world.

You guys in the US have plenty to choose from..:p

I must confess I'm not nearly as excited about Quantum/Anthem as I thought I would be. The constant delays in releasing the itineraries and information, the fact that we still do not have a complete deck plan of the ship without "more to come" spaces, the so-called entertainment reveal that was a complete joke and waste of time. I mean come on. I'm a huge Royal Caribbean fan but I've yet to see anything that, honestly, has me wildly excited about the Quantum Class like I usually am about Royal Caribbean new builds.

This mentality of secrecy is to blame and is a big joke IMHO. Nobody was going to rush in and steal Royal Caribbean's innovations between now and the debut of Quantum, and the fact that the ship sails in a few short months and we still don't know anything about key aspects of the ship, such as the Royal Promenade and the identity of all of the bars and entertainment venues is ridiculous and inexcusible.

I'm only booked on Anthem, not Quantum, so it's still a ways off for me. I actually completely forgive RCI for the whole Quantum/Bayonne debacle. I get it and appreciate the complexities of the Bermuda situation and the nature of the business decision they made. But I think they've really missed the mark with this entire process, and if they think the waning excitement won't catch up with them eventually in the form of slower bookings, well, that's just arrogant.

Your last sentence proves why other markets are to their liking? Just saying

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I understand your point.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Dave85

Quantum has not even been built yet, so it’s not fair to judge it, but here are my observations and concerns anyway:

Quantum is a strange beast.

RCI have been famous in the past for ships with ‘wow’ spaces – Viking crown lounge, tall atriums, Royal Promenade’s, Studio B/Ice Rink, Aqua-theatre, Central Park and some large breath-taking dining rooms etc.

I was very surprised when I heard about ‘Dynamic Dining’ which is clearly inspired by NCL’s freestyle. However let’s be honest, NCL have had several decades practice at it.

The problem with ships with multiple dining rooms (Epic, Breakaway and Getaway for example) there is very little room for ‘wow’ spaces*. Evert inch of the ship becomes packed with dining options, bars and conventional entertainment spaces. RCI have thrown away one of their unique features. (Two70 may be the exception here).

However, RCI have been clever with Quantum. The ‘gimmicks’ such a the ‘Seaplex’ (with bumper cars), I-Fly and the ‘North Star’ (observation pod) are located on the top deck. After all there is little room inside the ship.

These ‘gimmicks’ will of course appeal to kids but they are hardly aimed at us grown-ups, are they?

Interestingly, much of the entertainment relies on Hi-Tech. Now I’m sure that flying video screens and laser-harps will all be very impressive, but will all these gadgets really help make ‘good’ shows?

I sometimes see modern movies and find myself saying “The special effects were fantastic, but the acting and the story was weak”. Will that be the case with Quantum’s show?

I’m not sure.

I think this is an important point. Adam Goldstein [in]famously proclaimed that "the Asian market has come to expect the very best the world has to offer," but my entire point is I've yet to be convinced that the Quantum Class is even the very best in Royal Caribbean's own fleet (!), let alone "the very best the world has to offer." That was not the case when the Voyager Class, Freedom Class, or Oasis Class came out. For example, it was clear as soon as the reveals began rolling that the Oasis Class was a true "quantum leap" forward.

I'm hopeful and indeed expect based on Royal's track record that the ships will turn out to be truly spectacular... but I haven't seen it yet and that negatively impacts my excitement level. I detect that I'm not the only one who feels that way. Since I believe the ships will likely end up spectacular, I can reach no other conclusion than Royal is doing a historically terrible job of rolling out this new class of ship.

Edited by Dave85

Oh my goodness, some people are such drama queens! The U.S. still has plenty of options! I'm excited about Quantum and I'm booked to sail on her in June next year! Bring it on!

I'm booked to sail Jan 3 on Quantum, and super excited. The variety of restaurants has me looking forward to every dinner. And, the entertainment looks unlike anything I've seen. I'm surprised that there has been very little reaction to what I think looks to be an innovative line-up of "shows". Two70 in particular looks to be an incredible venue. I'm going to find it difficult not to spend too much time there to experience the 12 impromptu, unscheduled "experiences" - and, thinking I'll be cancelling Entertainer #1 and Entertainer #2 in the Royal Theatre to do so.

A few actual impressions from Meyer-Shipyard in Papenburg, Germany: QUANTUM OF THE SEAS (as external photoalbum):

http://wf7a2qi6n.homepage.t-online.de/Ships-Q/Quantum-of-the-Seas/2014-QUANTUMOFTHESEAS-Papenburg-01-08/

From the gallery you could see anything of the fire on QUANTUM OF THE SEAS.

In the same hall they are also erecting ANTHEM OF THE SEAS.

2014-Shipspotting-Papenburg-ANTHEMOFTHESEAS-0201.jpg

2014-Shipspotting-Papenburg-ANTHEMOFTHESEAS-0202.jpg

2014-Shipspotting-Papenburg-ANTHEMOFTHESEAS-0203.jpg

2014-Shipspotting-Papenburg-ANTHEMOFTHESEAS-0204.jpg

And outdoor the center section of ANTHEM OF THE SEAS was floating in the port bay (again as external photoalbum):

http://wf7a2qi6n.homepage.t-online.de/Ships-A/Anthem-of-the-Seas/2014-ANTHEMOFTHESEAS-Papenburg-0101-0114/

In the smaller hall the tour guide said that they started to erect NORWEGIAN ESCAPE... She said that we must expect more moves like this that they had to pull and to push out completed sections into/out of the larger hall to be completed there... Let's see if the quality will stay same...

2014-Shipspotting-Papenburg-NORWEGIANESCAPE-01.jpg

2014-Shipspotting-Papenburg-NORWEGIANESCAPE-02.jpg

Today the sales of the 2-nighter from Hamburg to Southampton (Oct. 25, 2015) starts. Let's see what my TA can do for me.

Greetings

HeinBloed

Sure they could. The ships now have 3 levels of dining in the MDR. All they would have to do is have two seating, and assign you one of the dining rooms, instead of a deck like they do now.

And you think there'll be less complaining if folks are assigned to a dining venue compared to the current complaints about the reservation system? Some folks will never set foot in Grande because they don't want to dress formal. Some folks want the flexibility of DD (Dynamic Dining). The design of the ship and RCI's future plans means that the traditional dining option has sailed (pun intended).

A few actual impressions from Meyer-Shipyard in Papenburg, Germany: QUANTUM OF THE SEAS (as external photoalbum):

Thanks for posting the pictures, nice to see the Anthem coming along!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

http://wf7a2qi6n.homepage.t-online.de/Ships-Q/Quantum-of-the-Seas/2014-QUANTUMOFTHESEAS-Papenburg-01-08/

From the gallery you could see anything of the fire on QUANTUM OF THE SEAS.

In the same hall they are also erecting ANTHEM OF THE SEAS.

2014-Shipspotting-Papenburg-ANTHEMOFTHESEAS-0201.jpg

2014-Shipspotting-Papenburg-ANTHEMOFTHESEAS-0202.jpg

2014-Shipspotting-Papenburg-ANTHEMOFTHESEAS-0203.jpg

2014-Shipspotting-Papenburg-ANTHEMOFTHESEAS-0204.jpg

And outdoor the center section of ANTHEM OF THE SEAS was floating in the port bay (again as external photoalbum):

http://wf7a2qi6n.homepage.t-online.de/Ships-A/Anthem-of-the-Seas/2014-ANTHEMOFTHESEAS-Papenburg-0101-0114/

In the smaller hall the tour guide said that they started to erect NORWEGIAN ESCAPE... She said that we must expect more moves like this that they had to pull and to push out completed sections into/out of the larger hall to be completed there... Let's see if the quality will stay same...

2014-Shipspotting-Papenburg-NORWEGIANESCAPE-01.jpg

2014-Shipspotting-Papenburg-NORWEGIANESCAPE-02.jpg

Today the sales of the 2-nighter from Hamburg to Southampton (Oct. 25, 2015) starts. Let's see what my TA can do for me.

Greetings

HeinBloed

Great pics. When were they taken? I.E. Is that the second Anthem section in the basin with the Quantum?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

At the Meyer Ship yard in Papenburg, Germany.

Thank you for your reply. I was curious as to when the photos of the Anthem blocks were taken, as well as when the ones on the T-Online site were taken. Just curious as to which Anthem megablock section we are seeing in the background, the first one (floated out June 1) or the newer megablock. Thanks.

I'm booked to sail Jan 3 on Quantum, and super excited. The variety of restaurants has me looking forward to every dinner. And, the entertainment looks unlike anything I've seen. I'm surprised that there has been very little reaction to what I think looks to be an innovative line-up of "shows". Two70 in particular looks to be an incredible venue. I'm going to find it difficult not to spend too much time there to experience the 12 impromptu, unscheduled "experiences" - and, thinking I'll be cancelling Entertainer #1 and Entertainer #2 in the Royal Theatre to do so.

ditto!

Greetings

HeinBloed

Those are some very cool pictures both from the attached and the link you provided. Thank you.