Tipping issue - specifically for room steward

Ok, one more comment. I know some of you think tipping up front is a bribe, so be it. I think that is absurd. These people live off their tips. Their families live off their tips. Is "pre-paid" tips a "bribe?" They are certainly paid up front, and the crew has a list of who has pre-paid. So they know that you have already tipped them. Maybe a small tip up front is a "bribe," but it sure doesn't seem to insult.

This brought up a thought for me. For those that consider a tip in the beginning to be a "bribe", wouldn't everyone on MTD who were required to pre-pay tips essentially have been forced to bribe the crew? How are Royal's required pre-paid tips any different than a passengers choice to do so with cash?

For me personally, I usually give $20 the first day, $10 half way through the week, and another $20 on the last day (on top of my pre-paid gratuities). I don't expect anything extra, but just like to tip extra and feel it's a nice gesture to offer some up front so they don't have to wait until the end of the week to start spending their money.

This brought up a thought for me. For those that consider a tip in the beginning to be a "bribe", wouldn't everyone on MTD who were required to pre-pay tips essentially have been forced to bribe the crew? How are Royal's required pre-paid tips any different than a passengers choice to do so with cash?

The crew do not receive pre-paid gratuity monies until some point after the cruise, typically 2 - 4 weeks.

Thank you all for answering. I have read through your responses and the 2 links that were shared. (Wish I knew how you found them - all the searches I did came up with general tipping, restaurant tipping, bar tipping.) Anyway, after reading everything, and thinking about it - I concluded that I will not "pre-tip" the cabin steward, but will tip along the way if I ask for anything out of the ordinary. I guess I don't walk into a restaurant and pretip my server to give me better service. And I will give extra at the end for a job well done. So, again, thank you all.

I think they are real appreciative to get that extra at the end because it gives a sense of pride know that they did a good job! As you said I don't tip in a restaurant before the service, but I wip my server in a restaurant even if the service was not completely up to par. I tip them according to the service they provide and give over and above the standard if the service was great or less if not so great!

We tip extra for service above and beyond. we asked our steward for a lounge chair and got it later that evening. We then gave him an extra $10 when we saw him in the hall. No extra at the end as he otherwise did just what was normal. Another cruise no above and beyond but the guy was really friendly, always greeting us by name and talking to us. Extra $10 at the end. This is about what we used to do when we paid our tips in cash. Oh and the second steward got one of wow cards too which I have heard do not mean much anymore but we give anyway. If we were really messy, had teens or kids to pick up after we would leave more but we are tidy. ( okay I am tidy, DH not but I pick up after him).:)

We like to tape about 30 bills to the bathroom door. Then anytime we experience something we don't like, we take one down. They can keep whatever remains at the end of the trip.

JK, but doesn't it make sense for the actual game of tips? And yes it is a game. No, don't go off on me about some hard working soul dependent on those very tips to squeak out an existence for them and their family. It is still a game.

I would guess in general, as said many times above - most service providers are above average and most receivers are average with their 'needs'. The service fee that RCCL tacks to our bill covers that. Which I am fine with. Cost of cruising and indeed I would like clean linens and good food service.

That leaves us with tipping before/after - but beyond what the 'service fee' covers. Some do this to feel good, some to be generous, some to make themselves feel superior and get first rate ice refills. Some service providers go out of their way to seek a potential tip, the successful ones must have great skill in profiling us cruisers...as to the ones to expend extra energy on or simply sit on the service fee. Yes, some are naturally friendly or good at their job, some have true pride in what they are doing and what their accomplishments on board mean to their peers back home.

In the end, I think tipping is much more a social transaction than a business transaction. Their is a much more likely chance that last week's tips have a larger influence over the service you receive, than the tip you plan or are prepared to pay. So yes, continue to tip in whatever style/time/amount makes you comfortable. Use these to make a better social connection with someone who is working hard at your service.

But what really influences the level of service you are going to get, is the folks at Miami and other HQ types that dictate just how many tables an assistance waiter has to juggle, or how many shifts they have to share. Also, how recruiting and advancement are performed, and how training and advancement are laid out. There is an occasional burnout that will cut corners cleaning your room, but more often they are just trying to stay on quota.

We like to tape about 30 bills to the bathroom door. Then anytime we experience something we don't like, we take one down. They can keep whatever remains at the end of the trip.

JK, but doesn't it make sense for the actual game of tips? And yes it is a game. No, don't go off on me about some hard working soul dependent on those very tips to squeak out an existence for them and their family. It is still a game.

I would guess in general, as said many times above - most service providers are above average and most receivers are average with their 'needs'. The service fee that RCCL tacks to our bill covers that. Which I am fine with. Cost of cruising and indeed I would like clean linens and good food service.

That leaves us with tipping before/after - but beyond what the 'service fee' covers. Some do this to feel good, some to be generous, some to make themselves feel superior and get first rate ice refills. Some service providers go out of their way to seek a potential tip, the successful ones must have great skill in profiling us cruisers...as to the ones to expend extra energy on or simply sit on the service fee. Yes, some are naturally friendly or good at their job, some have true pride in what they are doing and what their accomplishments on board mean to their peers back home.

In the end, I think tipping is much more a social transaction than a business transaction. Their is a much more likely chance that last week's tips have a larger influence over the service you receive, than the tip you plan or are prepared to pay. So yes, continue to tip in whatever style/time/amount makes you comfortable. Use these to make a better social connection with someone who is working hard at your service.

But what really influences the level of service you are going to get, is the folks at Miami and other HQ types that dictate just how many tables an assistance waiter has to juggle, or how many shifts they have to share. Also, how recruiting and advancement are performed, and how training and advancement are laid out. There is an occasional burnout that will cut corners cleaning your room, but more often they are just trying to stay on quota.

I like this post. :D and agree with most of it. Question though, can you ask for tape as part of the service or does it require an extra tip?

Edited by Adayatatime

I tip the Cabin Steward $20 on the first meeting and ask that ice be filled daily. I think that I get better service. He knows I have already up-tipped and they always seem to drop anything they're doing and tend to me if I need something. They always greet us when they see us in the hall, and are always asking if we need anything. When they see us headed to our room, they will often rush over an open the door for us.

Does the "tip up front" help? Can't say for sure. But I will say that I will continue to do it, and I always am pleased with the service.

I have had one or two who have disappointed me during the cruise. Not that there was anything wrong, but for a couple we needed to ask more than once, etc. We are not "high maintenance," and always recognize how hard the job is. But if I tip on day one and have to keep asking for ice, then I will not up-tip much (if anything) at the end.

But again, my experience has been that the Cabin Steward, after the initial up-tip, has always rushed to help me. So, I also tip at the end accordingly.

One other comment. We just did Alaska and one of our friends had the Premium Drink Package. On the first night he had to keep trying to get the Drink waiter over to get another glass of wine. I suggested he slip him a $10 or $20 the next night and tell him what type of wine he likes, etc. He did so quietly, and mentioned to me a couple of days into the cruise that the Drink waiter was "Johnny on the spot" with wine. His glass was never empty and he was being offered a refill.

These guys work for tips. So, if you tip well, they will fall all over you trying to please you.

I also tip $20 on first meeting and this is my EXACT experience (except the last one where the magical invisible ice bucket never showed up. LOL).

Edited by JohnGaltny

I generally take this level of service for granted and I've never tipped up front, but as others have said I don't often have special requests either. I tend to pre-pay tips, I might give extra to the odd other person, but I always give extra to my cabin steward on the last night, as they are the one person who I always see as looking after me day to day.

We tip our room steward on the last night when we feel we've received great service, and we usually give it to them in an envelope personally and explain to them that we really appreciated their service and for taking such great care of us. I think that benefits many people especially the people after us because the steward knows if they give great service to their customers that there may be an extra tip given,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since we do MTD our tips are prepaid and we don't remove them. We always give our attendant an extra $20 on the first day. We are very low maintenance and only ask for extra ice and a lounge chair on the balcony for our D1 hump:D

We simply want to show our appreciation for the hard work they do. For those that say it is a bribe to tip up front I would disagree....some people enjoy the gift of giving.

Edited by Wilda

I agree with this, tipping in advance comes off as rude to me. What some would call gauche.

Our steward on the Oasis essentially held his hand out for a tip on the first day, it was very awkward. I guess he got used to tipping the first day.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Forums mobile app

I agree that tipping in advance comes across as rude to me. And a steward putting out his hand for a tip on the first day also comes across as being rude and out of line. And I wouldn't be likely to forget it.

We never ask for anything besides a stocking of ice (which there is a big plastic sign in the room that says to ask for ice). I don't consider ice delivery, extra towels, hangars, etc. to be "above and beyond". That is well within a room attendants job description.

I agree. Ice used to be put in all of the cabins. Then to conserve on costs, energy, or whatever, they decided to no longer put it in the cabin unless you ask for it. Now, suddenly this service is viewed as something extra and a labor burden that should be rewarded with an extra tip. I don't quite get it.

On the ROS transpacific in April this year we hardly saw our steward. Took a few days to find out she was our steward. Then over a week to learn her name. We had perfectly satisfactory service. Always a very clean room. Just no contact with our steward on any level. It became a real question for us if we were to provide a tip at the end of the cruise.

Sent from JD's iPhone using Tapatalk

You were considering penalizing your steward for doing her job and simply staying out of your way?

Edited by Ocean Boy

Our steward on the Oasis essentially held his hand out for a tip on the first day, it was very awkward. I guess he got used to tipping the first day.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Forums mobile app

I do not believe you. He probably was going to shake your hand.

So, I do not believe you.

Obviously a lot of opinions. However how is tipping up front a "bribe?" I am asking that ice be delivered twice a day (a requested service now), and a couple extra towels. That is really just it. Now, I could leave a couple of dollars, as some have suggested, every day he brings ice. Or I can go ahead and give him a little extra with the request. But how is that a "bribe."

On the same line those who called it a "bribe" basically stated that they only tip at the end "if" the service is good. So in their minds, are they not simply "testing" the Cabin Attendant?

These people work for tips. There is no bribery involved. I have asked for a bit extra, and have shown my appreciation for the service. I never follow it with "there will be more at the end if you do a great job." That WOULD be rude. But slipping the Cabin Attendant a bit at the front for a requested daily service, is not, IMHO, rude or a bribe.

Truth is, you'll likely get great service whether or not you tip at the front, the back, the middle, etc. In fact, you'll likely get great service even if you remove your tips and stiff the poor guy. Me, I'll continue to show my appreciation for the hard work that they all do.

I agree. Funny the word, "bribery", give me a break! I usually leave a couple or so extra bucks per day. Big whoop!

You were considering penalizing your steward for doing her job and simply staying out of your way?

Not at all. But from other passengers we heard how they had developed a relationship - like knowing their name - we believed we may not of been getting the same level of service. Satisfactory though it may be. There is staying out of the way and then there is ignoring someone. And we never saw her to hand her her tip. Another example.

Why on earth would you remove tips (take money away from them) when you received perfectly satisfactory service??

Next vaca he should have is vaca in his backyard! He'll get to know, what, 400 of his neighbors names. Whhooo Hoo! How COOL is that??!!

Edited by Robinola

Guest maddycat
Not at all. But from other passengers we heard how they had developed a relationship - like knowing their name - we believed we may not of been getting the same level of service. Satisfactory though it may be. There is staying out of the way and then there is ignoring someone. And we never saw her to hand her her tip. Another example.

If we don't see our cabin attendant at the end of the cruise, and we want to leave an extra tip, we put the cash in one of the envelopes that are left in the cabin. We write "thank you" and leave the envelope on the bed when we go to dinner.

I think it just has more to do with personality traits. We have had stewards who do a great job but we barely saw and ones who would run to open the cabin door for us everytime they saw us walking toward it and chat with us for a brief time. Both types would do a fine job taking care of the cabin. Some people are shy and some are outgoing. Maybe your steward was ignoring you but maybe that was not it at all. Remember, even though they are required to be able to communicate in english some have much better conversational english than others.

Edited by Ocean Boy

This is the most insulting thing I have ever heard of!

And a social transaction? I think not.

Please do not respond. I will never reply to another one of your posts, but I couldn't let this pass.

We tip the first time we meet the steward, not as a bribe, not to show what big spenders we are, but as a recognition of the excellent service we know we are about to receive. And we have received it on every cruise except one. The room steward is the staff person we see most often on our cruise, up to three times a day. He/she is our first point of contact for questions or directions about getting around the ship. In all our experiences with staff on the ship, our contacts with the stewards have been the most important factor in our overall enjoyment. We tip again midway through the cruise and at the end. Stewards have never seemed insulted or upset when we handed a tip to them.

We had one steward who took the tip on the first day, and did not fulfill a single request thereafter. The fridge didn't work and she told us to call room service for ice daily. We couldn't put the suitcase under the bed because there was ship stuff under there, and she shrugged, so we stumbled around it all week. We asked for loungers for our huge aft balcony and she said there were none. We did not tip her again, and complained to RCI about her performance.

On the ROS transpacific in April this year we hardly saw our steward. Took a few days to find out she was our steward. Then over a week to learn her name. We had perfectly satisfactory service. Always a very clean room. Just no contact with our steward on any level. It became a real question for us if we were to provide a tip at the end of the cruise.

You had a daily service charge added to your account, didn't you (or prepaid gratuities if you had MyTime Dining). Those covered your stateroom attendant, so anything you left in cash would have been over and above that amount. IMO, "perfectly satisfactory" would mean leaving the service charge intact and not adding more. We have been fortunate on most cruises to have far better than satisfactory service, so usually leave more than that at the end.

Thank you all for answering. I have read through your responses and the 2 links that were shared. (Wish I knew how you found them - all the searches I did came up with general tipping, restaurant tipping, bar tipping.) Anyway, after reading everything, and thinking about it - I concluded that I will not "pre-tip" the cabin steward, but will tip along the way if I ask for anything out of the ordinary. I guess I don't walk into a restaurant and pretip my server to give me better service. And I will give extra at the end for a job well done. So, again, thank you all.

That's what we do. Have a great cruise!

I don't know what kind of service you should expect if you tip up front or after. But I don't understand the point of up front tipping being insulting in contrast to tipping in general. US and some other countries have this culture of tipping, and I'm sure there are also political factors that have caused this to be so. From my point of view, you either have tipping or you don't. How would a person serving you know how well you are going to tip and improve their service? Ship is not like a local restaurant where you keep coming back.

Having said that, I still prefer countries where tipping is non-existant or even insulting (northern Europe, most of the China,..). With a disclaimer that my preference/opinion is not ment to be insult against person who gets low wages, but instead to the broken system that causes wages to be so low. As a traveller who goes around a world, I wouldn't like to trouble my mind about tipping anywhere, or be tempted to give more tip to beautiful waitress who touched my hand, who statistically gets much higher tips than in average.