Worth tendering at Icy Strait Point?

novice2014

As first time cruisers we will be on the June 22 Celebrity Century 7 day Hubbard Glacier cruise. At Icy Strait Point should we wait for the tender to go ashore, or just stay on the ship? Any suggestions? We are 72+.

We had a stop there last year on Century, we found it a pleasant enough stop to just wander round with some heritage exhibits and shops. There is a small nature trail and a zip line which was interesting to watch but not for us, there is also free wi-fi in the one of the restaurants easily found by the number of laptops, iPads and phones on view.

Hard to give advise without knowing your interests but we found it worth the effort.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were just wondering about the tendering part--how long wait to and from ship, how long ride, how choppy, how easy/difficult to get on /off the lifeboat--all that. It seems with nice weather and a calm sea, it should be a very worthwhile experience, but otherwise we should for whale-watching from our balcony! :) thanks!

I love that port! http://www.icystraitpoint.com/Plan/Excursions. Do the zip line, check out the arts and crafts. Etc. they serve wonderful local food on the dock Another option is walk to Hoonah on the ocean front path and have a beer at the Office Bar. What a hoot :)

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g31010-d2315097-Reviews-The_Office_Bar-Hoonah_Alaska.html

When we got back to the ship we went out aft for a drink and there were whales all around us !

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were just wondering about the tendering part--how long wait to and from ship, how long ride, how choppy, how easy/difficult to get on /off the lifeboat--all that. It seems with nice weather and a calm sea, it should be a very worthwhile experience, but otherwise we should for whale-watching from our balcony! :) thanks!

It is a very short tender ride and we had no wait. If you are concerned, just let the bulk of the people go ahead of you. The ocean was glassy calm when we were there. It is quite protected.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As first time cruisers we will be on the June 22 Celebrity Century 7 day Hubbard Glacier cruise. At Icy Strait Point should we wait for the tender to go ashore, or just stay on the ship? Any suggestions? We are 72+.

When my wife and I went to Icy Strait Point a few years ago on the Century we were tendered to the dock. On our way back, the weather was beautiful and there was so much wildlife to see from the top outside deck of the tender that my wife asked the lifeboat operator if we could stay on the tender. He said, "Sure." We sat on that outside deck and rode back and forth for probably 5 trips of tender. It was really a nice time. None of the tenders were full, so we weren't taking up needed space, and the trips are very short. I would recommend taking the tender if the weather is nice. I got some great photographs of eagles and seals from the tender. We have just returned from another Alaskan cruise on the Solstice which did not stop in Icy Strait Point. I wish that it had included that in its itinerary. Enjoy your cruise, Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

The bay is well protected from the ship anchorage to the tender dock, so tendering should be calm under normal circumstances. Others have commented on what to do ashore so I'll leave that.

If however; you decided to do a small group whale watching/finding on a small local boat, be advised that your trip out to the areas they go may be very, very choppy due to the speed needed to get to/from the sighting area. Still a great experience though.

One of my favorite stops in Alaska. The water is smooth as silk. It's an absolutely gorgeous place. The tendering part is very well run. They run tenders all day and you are very close to the ship, so just a short ride.

The first time we went to Icy Strait, it was raining and we elected to stay on the ship. The second time, we went on a whale watch. It was one of the best one we've been on. The people were very helpful especially to my disabled husband who was using a wheelchair. Go and take the whale watching trip.

Why wouldn't you want to do it? You are there and you will never know unless you do it, if you don't you may regret it. It may also be your only opportunity to be there and the whole purpose is to see nature in all of it wonderous glory.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

When we were at Icy Point Straight I did a bicycle tour and then my dh and I just walked around the town. But the best part was walking through the woods behind the shopping area. I was totally amazed at the tree roots there. If we ever get back there that's what I'm doing again.

Really cute, small town.

You don't have to walk into Hoonah , you can take a bus for $4 each way. Please don't stay on the ship unless the seas are very rough. In Hoonah, get yourself a slice of Halibut pizza, ride the bus or walk back and wander through the cannery and shops and then go out the other side to the trails which are wonderful. We were there in Sept and May and each time it was a bit coolish but they had a huge bonfire on the beach and we thought it was a great welcome.

I stayed on board. There isn't much happening there.

What a shame. It's a wonderful place - so much to see - even if you just wander aimlessly. :)

(Should also mention that only one ship is allowed on any given day, so never ever crowded.)

Edited by gimletgal

I would not go on a trip to Alaska that didn't stop at Icy Straight Point!!

It is the most authentic and least commercialized stop. I also did bear watching with Teckk outfitters. One of the best days of my life!!!!

We drove around, but we got out a lot and walked around all over the place......saw 7 bears. Grizzlys, just to be clear.......one had blond hair. Some looked like caramel......never knew they had so many different shades:)

I, too, highly recommend taking a private whale watching. This was my favorite spot in Alaska. When you get out on the whale watching boat you feel like you are totally surrounded by mountains. Water was calm, saw many whales, and saw 3 bears on the land.

Carolyn

The nature trail is wonderful and not too long. This is the real Alaska in all her glory.

One of my favorite Alaska ports. Not full of Diamonds International stores like many of the other ones are. Only one ship/day, so never crowded. They do it right here.

The tendering is easy and the staff will assist you with boarding and exiting the boats. I would highly recommend going ashore.

The nature trail is wonderful and not too long. This is the real Alaska in all her glory.

One of my favorite Alaska ports. Not full of Diamonds International stores like many of the other ones are. Only one ship/day, so never crowded. They do it right here.

The tendering is easy and the staff will assist you with boarding and exiting the boats. I would highly recommend going ashore.

This is one of our favorite ports, just for the nature train and the fish and chips. We were amazed at the number of different mushrooms growing there.