HAL Ryndam insult to British & American passengers

You chimed into this discussion late. The OP stated that on June 6, in the MDR, there were flags on the tables to celebrate International Dinner. There seemed to be a lack of "proper" flags and OP was offended.

It was explained that on most HAL cruises, the last night is International Dinner, with a themed menu for different countries, and the usual decorations are varied flags. On the OPs cruise, this happened to correspond to D-Day. I think the OP was not familiar with the themed International Dinner and thought the flags were to represent something about the war and D-Day - thus the offense taken for lack of certain flags.

Big to-do in this thread, and it has nothing to do with any of the CC members' responses not showing proper respect for D-Day. Most of them are of the age to have been kids during the war and had relatives in the war, or were boomers born right after the war and grew up hearing all the stories.

^^^ Yes, exactly that. Very good explanation to a late-comer to the thread.

:eek: We just back from HAL cruise to western Mediterranean and once again HAL did not go to Tunisia. They blame it on visa problems but as we know that is the responsibility of the cruiser. So instead of going to a nice port we got stuck in a hell hole. Sent a letter to HAL and all I got back is we can do what we want. If you want to go to Tunisia, don't go with HAL. Should have listened to cruise critic, won't make that mistake again.

Please explain what your post has to do with this thread about the flags on the tables during the International dinner.. I'm completely confused by it..:confused:e

Edited by serendipity1499

Possibly the day is more prominent in the UK or Australia than it is in the US. Other than possible mention of the anniversary on the news, I do not ever recall any notice being taken of the day. Those who died in various wars were already honored about a week before this date.

Exactly...In the U.S. we honor all Americans killed in all of our wars on Memorial Day which is the last Monday of May! In addition we have Veterans Day which is to honor all the Veterans of our armed Services in November of each year..

The Canadians celebrate Memorial Day on July 01.. Not sure when the British have their Memorial Days?

:eek: We just back from HAL cruise to western Mediterranean and once again HAL did not go to Tunisia. They blame it on visa problems but as we know that is the responsibility of the cruiser. So instead of going to a nice port we got stuck in a hell hole. Sent a letter to HAL and all I got back is we can do what we want. If you want to go to Tunisia, don't go with HAL. Should have listened to cruise critic, won't make that mistake again.

You may wish to make this post a separate thread if you want that subject discussed.

This thread is a different subject and your post likely will slip by.

Go to the HAL Forum List Page and Click New Threads.

Enter the title you want for your thread and post your message. :)

Exactly...In the U.S. we honor all Americans killed in all of our wars on Memorial Day which is the last Monday of May! In addition we have Veterans Day which is to honor all the Veterans of our armed Services in November of each year..

The Canadians celebrate Memorial Day on July 01.. Not sure when the British have their Memorial Days?

Actually, Canadians honour the dead of all the wars on November 11, which we call Remembrance Day, (occasionally "Poppy Day") as a commemoration of the end of World War l when the Armistice was signed. July 1st is Canada Day, which used to be called Dominion Day, the anniversary of Confederation on July 1, 1867. (Confusing, eh?:))

Actually, Canadians honour the dead of all the wars on November 11, which we call Remembrance Day, (occasionally "Poppy Day") as a commemoration of the end of World War l when the Armistice was signed. July 1st is Canada Day, which used to be called Dominion Day, the anniversary of Confederation on July 1, 1867. (Confusing, eh?:))

In Australia we have Anzac Day 25th April which remembers the Australians and New Zealanders who fought and died at Gallipoli and we also have Rememberance Day (Poppy Day) on 11th November.

HAL is really going to be busy remembering all these days so as not to offend anyone.

In U.S., we call that November holiday Veteran's day.

Actually, July 1st is Canada Day. We celebrate and remember our war dead and veterans on Remembrance Day, November 11th. And IMHO, it's a shame it is referred to as a "holiday".

Edited by Marco's Tia

Spending Canada Day in Charlottetown, PEI with Maasdam a couple of years ago was great fun. It resembled a good old-fashion 4th of July celebration

In Australia we have Anzac Day 25th April which remembers the Australians and New Zealanders who fought and died at Gallipoli and we also have Rememberance Day (Poppy Day) on 11th November.

HAL is really going to be busy remembering all these days so as not to offend anyone.

There was an ANZAC Day remembrance ceremony on NODM this year on 25 APR at sunrise/dawn around the mid-ships Lido Pool, and there was a Remembrance Day ceremony on SADM last year on 11 NOV in the main show lounge with the Captain the keynote speaker, reading "In Flander's Fields" (Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae; Canadian Army) and the ship's bell (taken to that show lounge) being sounded by the most junior officer onboard, a Cadet

The day I forgot to mention was the celebration on May 25 this year held at Flanders Field American Cemetery in Belgium, for the 400 Americans who are buried there from WW1..

See the "American Battle Monuments Comimssion" site :https://www.abmc.gov/news-events/events/memorial-day-2014-flanders-field-american-cemetery#.U6EJQ2cU85s

It's interesting to note that we have 14 cemetery's on Foreign soil for Americans who died during WWII.. Flanders Field American Cemetery is one of three American cemetery's in Belgium.. Many of them died during the "Battle of the Bulge" They are Quote

"The Ardennes American Cemetery and Memorial is home to the graves of 5,329 members of the United States military who died in World War II. It is one of fourteen cemeteries for American World War II dead on foreign soil, and is administered by the American Battle Monuments Commission. The ninety and a half acre cemetery and memorial is located in Neuville-en-Condroz, near the southeast edge of Neupré, Wallonia, Belgium. It is one of three American war cemeteries in Belgium, the other two being at Flanders Field and Henri-Chapelle."Unquote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardennes_American_Cemetery_and_Memorial

There was an ANZAC Day remembrance ceremony on NODM this year on 25 APR at sunrise/dawn around the mid-ships Lido Pool, and there was a Remembrance Day ceremony on SADM last year on 11 NOV in the main show lounge with the Captain the keynote speaker, reading "In Flander's Fields" (Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae; Canadian Army) and the ship's bell (taken to that show lounge) being sounded by the most junior officer onboard, a Cadet

But April 25 (ANZAC Day) and November 11 (Veterans' Day/Remembrance Day/Armistice Day) are recognized National Holidays. To the best of my (and Wikipedia's) knowledge, June 6 is not a recognized National Holiday in any country. I'm not going to debate whether it should be or not, but to date it is not. And I think that is where the OP is getting upset. It is an important historical anniversary, but it is not a holiday.

But April 25 (ANZAC Day) and November 11 (Veterans' Day/Remembrance Day/Armistice Day) are recognized National Holidays. To the best of my (and Wikipedia's) knowledge, June 6 is not a recognized National Holiday in any country. I'm not going to debate whether it should be or not, but to date it is not. And I think that is where the OP is getting upset. It is an important historical anniversary, but it is not a holiday.

You are correct on all three accounts!

Edited by Copper10-8

No one has yet mentioned the significant casualties amongst the French (particularly civilians) on D Day.

If you start trying to commemorate every significant anniversary of every significant action in just WW2 you are into many days. Bring in WW1, Korea, Vietnam, Falklands etc., (insert country's significant action of choice here) it is never ending.

If the cruise were a themed D Day cruise the OP might have a point - it was not.

What lovely ceremonies.... Thanks for telling us about them.

I am sure the Bell was polished to a high shine. :) Noordam's Bell is much loved. ;)

No one has yet mentioned the significant casualties amongst the French (particularly civilians) on D Day.

If you start trying to commemorate every significant anniversary of every significant action in just WW2 you are into many days. Bring in WW1, Korea, Vietnam, Falklands etc., (insert country's significant action of choice here) it is never ending.

If the cruise were a themed D Day cruise the OP might have a point - it was not.

Agree - for me it's August 15 (1945) when my father was released from the Japanese prison camp in Shanghai where he was interned. He wrote me a letter for my birthday (August 23rd) which I still have. It was airmailed (!) out by a U.S. plane and took weeks to arrive in Victoria - however, previously, prisoner of war mail was taking 6 months!

Agree - for me it's August 15 (1945) when my father was released from the Japanese prison camp in Shanghai where he was interned. He wrote me a letter for my birthday (August 23rd) which I still have. It was airmailed (!) out by a U.S. plane and took weeks to arrive in Victoria - however, previously, prisoner of war mail was taking 6 months!

Your father must have been one of the defenders of Hong Kong to have wound up as a Canadian in a Japanese camp.

Sapper and Copper (Sorry, I can't do double quotes!), we were civilians in Shanghai - my father worked for a Swiss company, and we were all interned in Shanghai - my mother and I, as Canadians, were sent home in a prisoner exchange after 6 months - my first cruises, on the Teia Maru and then the Gripsholm! My father had to stay behind as he was British, but it was a civilian internment camp, so probably not as bad as the military camps, although pretty miserable! When my father eventually was repatriated it was on a US troop ship, the USS Lavaca. Copper, photos?

Sapper and Copper (Sorry, I can't do double quotes!), we were civilians in Shanghai - my father worked for a Swiss company, and we were all interned in Shanghai - my mother and I, as Canadians, were sent home in a prisoner exchange after 6 months - my first cruises, on the Teia Maru and then the Gripsholm! My father had to stay behind as he was British, but it was a civilian internment camp, so probably not as bad as the military camps, although pretty miserable! When my father eventually was repatriated it was on a US troop ship, the USS Lavaca. Copper, photos?

Oh my, what a story!!! Thank you for sharing. It must have been a very anxious time for your whole family until you had your happy ending.

Agree with both of you!