RCCL vs NCL with toddler? Help please!

beachlover777

I've ready many threads on this board, but this is my first time posting. I'm hoping someone can give advice or help with my decision. My husband and I are planning to celebrate our birthdays this year by taking a 3 day Bahamas cruise. We are bringing our son who will be 23 months old at the time of sailing. My mom is coming to help with him since there's no way I was leaving him. I'm trying to decide between NCL Sky or RCCL Enchantment of the Seas. I know these weekend getaways aren't the best kid friendly ships, but does anyone have insight or suggestions on which may be best? Pricing is similar. They both go to nassau and their private islands. They both also sail the same weekend. Ncl leaves from Miami so we would have to get there from FLL airport. RCCL leaves from port canaveral and we would have to get there from Orlando airport.

Thank you in advance for your help!

It's really an either/or thing. I don't think either ship has anything for the under 3 year olds...so it really won't make a difference to your child! Pick which one YOU think will be best for YOU!

Any ship is "kid-friendly", in that children are welcome. It's just that there may not be any toddler-specific things for your child. Pools are off-limits unless your son is totally potty-trained.

If you choose NCL, check prices to fly into Miami, since your ship leaves from there...just easier to grab a cab, rather than a shuttle.

Edited by cb at sea

Port Canaveral and Miami are not as cruise friendly as Ft. Lauderdale. The port in Ft. Lauderdale is a $15 five mile drive from Ft. Lauderdale airport. Port Canaveral is one hour from Orlando. Fort Lauderdale airport is an hour from the port of Miami and will cost $100 by taxi.

Putting the cost of flying and getting to the port aside, I really don't think that Enchantment or NCL sky are going to be awesome. I did Enchantment last December and it was ok- nothing to write home about. The buffet is at the bow and the first night someone threw up from seasickness in the buffet. I am an avid cruiser and did find the buffet to be in the worst spot for motion. The crew and cabins were fine.

I did NCL sky in 2000 and it has gone through a couple transformations since then- reviews seem to be poor.

No cruise is horrible but with all the choices out there- I think you can do better than either vessel. If time is at a premium and you can't do a week- I would still recommend picking a port that is easily accessible like Ft. Lauderdale. I'd go with Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas- they have babysitting for the 23 month old

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I believe the original poster was asking for advice between two specific ships - not asking for which ship we thought was the ultimate best!

I have never sailed Carnival, but I have been on Enchantment of the Seas many times. Personally my husband and I really like this ship. Due to being lengthened several years ago, Enchantment has the largest pool deck of almost any ship. However, due to the age of your little one, that is probably not going to be helpful to you. What Enchantment does have is a large lounge called the Spotlight Lounge that sits empty for large parts of the day. This would be an excellent spot for you to take you LO to burn off some energy without bothering anyone at all.

This Mom was trying to find a cruise that would suit her family. Enchantment does not have any baby care. They do have in room sitting subject to availability. They are doing a 3 night cruise and Oasis (day care available) would be a better choice and the prices are comparable. She also mentioned flying. For a family of three (four if she is buying a seat for the baby) you are talking at least $600 plus the price of the cruise and transportation to either Port Canaveral or Miami two ways. That's approximately $100 each way ($200) by taxi and it will be a long drive to the port with three adults, a baby and their luggage in the taxi.

If you can do a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale that would be my advice. $15/ 5 minute taxi ride.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Thank you for all of your replies! Unfortunately the weekend cruise is all we can do since we can't take additional days off from work. I know most child friendly cruises are on the bigger ships which sail longer. Unfortunately it's just not going to work for us this time around.

Thank you for the insight on Enchantment of the Seas. After seeing pictures in comparison, I am leaning that way. I appreciate the feedback!

• 1 month later...

On the Royal website, it does appear a Royal Tots nursery has been added to the Enchantment :

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=VI&shipCode=EN&br=R

This doesn't affect the original poster, but Zebrazeb please note that the NCL's kids club is closed from 12-2, and 5-7 on sea days. That may not sound like a big deal, but if your kid naps it could be an issue. On our last cruise on HAL, our son slept from 1-4 and when he woke up he always wanted to go to the kids club, but it was always closed at that time and then we had to deal with an unhappy toddler. So even if you don't intend to use the daycare for a lot of hours, I'd try to find a line with less restrictive hours if all other factors are equal.

Edited by kitkat343

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off Enchantment last weekend and they DO have a nursery for children under 3. My daughter won't be three til October. I was a little apprehensive before I boarded and didn't know if I would put her in or not but I tried it the first night and she LOVED it! They give you a beeper when you sign them in. It differs from the regular kids club because it is not free. I believe it is $6 an hour from noon to 5 and after 5pm it is $8 an hour. I wouldn't hesitate booking the Enchantment. They also have the nursery open at certain times for parent assisted playtime.

Just got off Enchantment last weekend and they DO have a nursery for children under 3. My daughter won't be three til October. I was a little apprehensive before I boarded and didn't know if I would put her in or not but I tried it the first night and she LOVED it! They give you a beeper when you sign them in. It differs from the regular kids club because it is not free. I believe it is $6 an hour from noon to 5 and after 5pm it is $8 an hour. I wouldn't hesitate booking the Enchantment. They also have the nursery open at certain times for parent assisted playtime.

Good to know! Thank you for the information!

• 2 weeks later...
I've ready many threads on this board, but this is my first time posting. I'm hoping someone can give advice or help with my decision. My husband and I are planning to celebrate our birthdays this year by taking a 3 day Bahamas cruise. We are bringing our son who will be 23 months old at the time of sailing. My mom is coming to help with him since there's no way I was leaving him. I'm trying to decide between NCL Sky or RCCL Enchantment of the Seas. I know these weekend getaways aren't the best kid friendly ships, but does anyone have insight or suggestions on which may be best? Pricing is similar. They both go to nassau and their private islands. They both also sail the same weekend. Ncl leaves from Miami so we would have to get there from FLL airport. RCCL leaves from port canaveral and we would have to get there from Orlando airport.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Just got off Grandeur of the Seas which is the same ship class as Enchantment. We had our 13 month old daughter and everything went really well. We didn't use the Royal Tots Nursery but did look at it. It's a nice little room with several toys for kids to play with and they also do a toy lending program where you can borrow toys for your cabin. The crew was great with our daughter, didn't have a problem with high chairs or anything. We took our own pack n play so have no experience with the ones you can request from the ship. Keep in mind when you are booking and looking at cabins that you will need the extra room for a pack n play unless you would feel comfortable having a room that the couch makes into a bed.