Free Wireless??

lcdsp911

Every cruise I've been on, we always immediately shut off our phones and store them in the safe for the duration of the trip to avoid high data usage fees. I've noticed many people mentioning free wireless at different locations in port and am wondering- is it actually free, or will you still rack up international charges if you turn your phone on?

(If it matters, my family uses Verizon and we have 2 iPhones and 1 android). Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The McDonalds have free WiFi. I know there is one in St Thomas and Nassau that are a few blocks from the port. I've also been told that Dunkin Donuts in Nassau has it as well.

Steve

The port terminal in Nassau also has free wifi. Dunkin Donuts is a short walk and you can have a nice cup of coffee while you check email.

Thanks for the info. I'm always worried that even if I'm using wifi, there will be some kind of charges added to my bill when I get home. Don't want any surprises :)

Leave your phone in airplane mode and you can still connect to wifi wherever you happen to find it. We have found it in various stores, beach clubs (usually up at the bar), and restaurants. We try to buy something anywhere that we use the wifi.

Good advice.

Thanks for the info. I'm always worried that even if I'm using wifi, there will be some kind of charges added to my bill when I get home. Don't want any surprises :)

You might be confusing wifi and phone/data service.

WiFi is just a wireless connection to someone's network, and their network is connected to the internet. There is no charge for it, unless the business charges you personally in order to access their wifi - just like Carnival does when you're on the boat and can buy internet time. (And in many cases when wifi is not meant to be public access, it's password protected to keep people off of it.) In other words, the service has nothing to do with the contract you have with your phone service provider and there's nothing for them to charge you for.

Phone/data service provided by wireless carriers is where things get expensive if you're roaming internationally. You can put your phone in airplane mode to make sure you're not accidentally connecting to a network and having apps update and using data without you knowing about it.

Also, I have AT&T and St. Thomas is considered part of their US network so no roaming charges apply there - you can use your phone there just as you would at home with no extra charges. (Well, that was the case a few years ago at least) Most major carriers should list coverage areas on their site.

Edited by mferris77

Leave your phone in airplane mode and you can still connect to wifi wherever you happen to find it. We have found it in various stores, beach clubs (usually up at the bar), and restaurants. We try to buy something anywhere that we use the wifi.

I do believe if you ONLY put your phone in airplane mode, you won't be able to connect to anything, including wifi, unless you enable wifi after putting phone in airplane mode....I do believe.

I do believe if you ONLY put your phone in airplane mode, you won't be able to connect to anything, including wifi, unless you enable wifi after putting phone in airplane mode....I do believe.

This is correct (I just tried it). After you put it in airplane mode, you have to turn wifi on again.

I have an Android and I just spoke to Verizon last week. We leave tomorrow.

Verizon told me to go to SETTINGS, the MOBILE NETWORK, the click off DATA ENABLED - then click on AIRPLANE MODE, then when you are looking for wifi, click WIFI ON. No sense having wifi on during sea days because it will just run down your battery. Doing this, I will be able to use the alarm on my phone and well as take pictures. When I get in to port and can find WiFi, I can post and upload pictures to Facebook and Instagram, check emails, go to websites, etc.

My DD has an iPhone and she too needs to disable data and click airplane mode.

If you have an ipod or other device that will connect to the internet, consider taking that into port.

We always put our phones in the safe, and take our ipod into port to check email and facetime with family back home. Its always worked well for us and we don't have to worry about data charges. My MIL emails from her Kindle when traveling internationally.

If you purchase something at Dunkin Donuts in Nassau, they will give you the internet code.

Let me put my two cents in. I sure hope no one gets offended. Instead of worrying what to do to use your phone everyone should just forget they have a phone while they are on vacation and put their selves on vacation mode. Just forget about work and home and enjoy the cruise. Everything will be waiting for you when you get back home. That is why you booked a cruise in the first place to get away from it all.

Let me put my two cents in. I sure hope no one gets offended. Instead of worrying what to do to use your phone everyone should just forget they have a phone while they are on vacation and put their selves on vacation mode. Just forget about work and home and enjoy the cruise. Everything will be waiting for you when you get back home. That is why you booked a cruise in the first place to get away from it all.

And adding my two cents...

Some people have obligations that do not stop because of where they are in the world. Some have family issues, others have work, some have school. If it wasn't for the connectivity we have DH could not take a vacation longer than a weekend. Problems of being a sole practitioner.

And adding my two cents...

Some people have obligations that do not stop because of where they are in the world. Some have family issues, others have work, some have school. If it wasn't for the connectivity we have DH could not take a vacation longer than a weekend. Problems of being a sole practitioner.

Well said!!! Some of us, no matter how we try to disconnect and enjoy the vacation/cruise, do have family, work or school obligations that prevent us from totally being out of the loop, or from doing work or checking on the family or pets.

Well said!!! Some of us, no matter how we try to disconnect and enjoy the vacation/cruise, do have family, work or school obligations that prevent us from totally being out of the loop, or from doing work or checking on the family or pets.

So true. Until this last cruise, we turned our phones off when we set sail and back on when we arrived back at the home port. But last cruise we left our 3 year old DD with her grandparents. We bought a plan specifically for being able to call from the ship (Celebrity and ATT have some deal) and talked to DD every day.

iPhones are easy. Go to settings / Cellular and turn off cellular data. That leaves your wifi connected. If you are in airplane mode, you can't use wifi.

I just tested this- if you turn Airplane Mode on, Wifi is disabled. However you can turn it back on leaving Airplane Mode on, so as others have explained, along with turning off data, you can use the wifi portion of your phone without the phone portion.

Not everyone books a cruise for a vacation. Some even may book one because they have nothing better to do over a weekend. Everyone is on a cruise for a different reason. Some people work online and are able to take off at anytime and require Internet capabilities to assist with their areas of employment. Others may require a phone to keep in touch with others on land, whether it be personal or business related. Why are you concerned with how others choose to spend their time? Just because that is why you cruise, it is wrong to judge the fact that others may cruise differently than you.

Edit: OP, there is a list floating around that has the locations the crew enjoy going to in ports that offer complimentary or near-complimentary WiFi. Perhaps a Google search will help you find it, but it was shared on another cruise group earlier this week.

Edited by Disconnections

Check out:

http://www.Verizonwireless.com/tripplanner

Puerto Rico and St Thomas are included in most plans. St Thomas does have $1.99 for calls, but data is included in domestic plans.

Or call Verizon Global at 800-711-8300

And yes, you can use WiFi with airplane mode on.

You will get no calls, texts, or cellular data with airplane mode on but can connect to WiFi.

Edited by south-carolinagirl

Some people on a cruise, including myself, use their phone as a watch, a camera, and a GPS map, (and as a phone should something happen in port and we need to contact the ship).

I hear what you are saying, jandb6266...and agree for the most part. :) And I'm not trying to start a battle, but I think folks should try to own their own statements a bit more on these boards. This would have sounded better to me:

Let me put my two cents in. I sure hope no one gets offended. Instead of worrying what to do to use
my
phone
I
just forget
I
have a phone while
I
am on vacation and put
my self
on vacation mode. Just forget about work and home and enjoy the cruise. Everything will be waiting for
me
when I get back home. That is why
I
booked a cruise in the first place to get away from it all.

But that's just me. :D

Some people on a cruise, including myself, use their phone as a watch, a camera, and a GPS map, (and as a phone should something happen in port and we need to contact the ship).

I too use my phone as a camera, a music player, and a communication device should something happen in port.

Tim

You guys are great!! I've always just thought that if my phone connects to anything while out of the country- I'll automatically be charged crazy international rates. Thank you all so much for the tips. I'm leaving next week for Cozumel and Grand Cayman, so I'm going to try putting it in airplane mode and using wifi only. As long as I won't have to worry about data charges, it will be a relief to a able to use my camera and alarm clock instead of carrying additional things around.